Driving My Car To Mae Sai For A Visa Stamp?

andymach123

Take the car mate, Its an easy drive and much better than sitting on a bus. you can choose when to stop etc. I used to drive up every three months before I got married and really enjoyed doing it. It takes around 3-4 hours depending on your driving speed. I used to set off before 6 and was up over the border before 9.30 usually.

If you are in a rush, take a bus, but if you want to go leisurely and stop along the way, by all means take the car. There are several interesting stops along the way. That is the beauty of having your own wheels and not having to rely on public transportation to go from point A to point B.

About 35 minutes before Chiang Rai I always stop at the Charin Resort to have some coffee, a nice stretch, and a wonderful selection of pies and cakes. Last time I went to Mai Sai, I stayed in Chiang Rai near the night market and enjoyed the hospitality of the local eateries and a clean, inexpensive hotel called the Diamond Hill Inn (or something like that) for 500 baht for the night. Did a side trip to Doi Tung as well.

I have done 3 VIP Green buses this year, the last being Sunday and I was rather scared about the driver killing us all on the ride back. Of course, it was raining and this guy was passing where not allowed and I made a point to buckel up. Take the car, faster and much safer IMO and you likeky aren't on speed like a few of these bus driver's seem to be. Very dicey ride on the 430pm Green Bus from the border this past Sunday had me thinking the earlier buses must be safer due to light and rain conditions alone.

Take the bus or car ,up to you . :jap: ( If you want to know what to eat for breakfast tomorrow ,pm me for advice !!!,pretty please :ph34r: )

Dear Thaifan2,

I have a problem that you may be able to help me with. When I read Thaivisa looking for good and sound advice from members I keep coming across stupid posts such as yours.

How would you suggest Thaivisa members should respond to people like you?.

In anticipation of your reply oh wise one. :jap:

theblether

:sick:

• 2 months later...

I have done 3 VIP Green buses this year, the last being Sunday and I was rather scared about the driver killing us all on the ride back. Of course, it was raining and this guy was passing where not allowed and I made a point to buckel up. Take the car, faster and much safer IMO and you likeky aren't on speed like a few of these bus driver's seem to be. Very dicey ride on the 430pm Green Bus from the border this past Sunday had me thinking the earlier buses must be safer due to light and rain conditions alone.

After more than 10 VIP Green Bus trips to MaeSai I have never experienced a bad or dangerous trip. Very good company. They even gave me 95% of my fare back when I had an incorrect ticket that I should have checked 100% when it was issued.

If you are in a rush, take a bus, but if you want to go leisurely and stop along the way, by all means take the car. There are several interesting stops along the way. That is the beauty of having your own wheels and not having to rely on public transportation to go from point A to point B.

About 35 minutes before Chiang Rai I always stop at the Charin Resort to have some coffee, a nice stretch, and a wonderful selection of pies and cakes. Last time I went to Mai Sai, I stayed in Chiang Rai near the night market and enjoyed the hospitality of the local eateries and a clean, inexpensive hotel called the Diamond Hill Inn (or something like that) for 500 baht for the night. Did a side trip to Doi Tung as well.

Sensible advice.

If you want to see the country take the bus People who can see more by driving scare the hell out of me.

I did a drive up the coast highway in California by myself one year beautiful country.

I missed most of it because I had to watch the road.

As you say in a car you can stop and see things any time you want for as long as you want.

What is the green bus. We always took a modern bus with only three seats to a row lots of foot room and of course wider seats. The price at the time was around 650 baht return. Cheaper than paying gas for a car.

Definitely take the car, easier and quicker....I usually leave at 2pm or so, stay the night in Chiang Rai here http://www.chiangrai..._chiang_rai.php

Gives you the evening to look around Chiang Rai.

Next morning, up early, 40 min drive to Mai Sai, plenty of time to do a bit of shopping in Myanmar, leave at 3 pm, home around 6pm.

Also, follow one of the guys on the street hailing for parking in Mai Sai, quick and easy.

Edited by kjhbigv

i drove a car there last week and fuel cost just over 1000 Baht including some driving around chiang rai city looking for a hotel.

we stopped off at two road side attractions - the white temple and a spring both on left hand side of road .

if you want to go shopping and are taking other people etc the car is good but if i go just for the visa then i'll choose the bus next time.

a few years ago we did a tour and went up in the mountains to doi tung came back through fang and the caves at chiang dao.

if it's your first border run and you need to go in the future i would say take the bus this time.

yes the first half of the journey does have some hills so you need to concentrate