British Club Bangkok

WilliaminBKK

I am thinking about joining the British Club Bangkok, does anyone know the split between UK and Commonwealth members ? I have been a few times and really enjoyed the experience. I'm trying to convince my Dad to move to LOS and I think this would be a perfect fit for him, he is an active 72 year old retired Judge and an absolute sport addict, loves chatting and meeting new people, are all of the acitivtes and social functions as good as they seem or will it be mostly business types trying to hawk their wares ?

I joined when I first moved to Bangkok 5 years ago. Really enjoy it. Most of my friends are frm there.

Members are mostly Brits but all nationalities are welcome. Some have a waiting list.

It is a social/sports club. Business talk is frowned upon mostly. No phone use in the bar.

It beats hanging aroung go go bars with tourists

Been invited a few times as a guest of member- nice enough place to hang out for a saturday/sunday swim and lunch and good squash facilities if that's your thing. Brits have been in a minority when i have been there- lots of Aussies, Kiwis, French.

Overall if you live within a 20-30 minute drive away its probably worth joining.

The British Club is full of old "farts" expats who think that they own Thailand and have a lot of pwerfull clout and they always stick in groups and do not like any new members. Basically its just a waste of time , you will never benefit anything from being a member there and most of them are really clowns. The same goes for the Heritage Club at Pacific Place and some of the Chambers of Commerce. There are other more interesting private clubs to join such as the Bangkok Club and also a new Millionaires Club set up at Central World Offices and run by the Kimmels.

The British Club is full of old "farts" expats who think that they own Thailand and have a lot of pwerfull clout and they always stick in groups and do not like any new members. Basically its just a waste of time , you will never benefit anything from being a member there and most of them are really clowns. The same goes for the Heritage Club at Pacific Place and some of the Chambers of Commerce. There are other more interesting private clubs to join such as the Bangkok Club and also a new Millionaires Club set up at Central World Offices and run by the Kimmels.

There's some truth in this. I don't know about old "farts" but certianly many of them seem to have a bit of a superiority complex or keeping up with the Jones type attitude. Not welcoming of most new members unless you're a known person in Bangkok or wealthy. A bit over rating of Oxford....that's all I heard about last time is how many of the members are from oxford or cambridge...I personally prefer straightforward people.

I would give it a miss unless of course you fit into this categoy.

There's some truth in this. I don't know about old "farts" but certianly many of them seem to have a bit of a superiority complex or keeping up with the Jones type attitude. Not welcoming of most new members unless you're a known person in Bangkok or wealthy. A bit over rating of Oxford....that's all I heard about last time is how many of the members are from oxford or cambridge...I personally prefer straightforward people.

Nonsence. I've been a member 5 years and don't know where most of my friends went to school. There maybe some snobs but most people are very normal and friendly. The club is big enough and has so many groups and activities that most people will find some people they like and activities to enjoy.

Nonsence. I've been a member 5 years and don't know where most of my friends went to school. There maybe some snobs but most people are very normal and friendly. The club is big enough and has so many groups and activities that most people will find some people they like and activities to enjoy.

Thanks Poke, I felt the same when I visited as a guest - sure I saw some older gents but for me that added to the culture of the club. I would really like to join and I thought both my Father and I would meet our own network of freinds and enjoy the activites.

Thanks Poke, I felt the same when I visited as a guest - sure I saw some older gents but for me that added to the culture of the club. I would really like to join and I thought both my Father and I would meet our own network of freinds and enjoy the activites.

Whilst Poke has his own opinion, there is also some truth in the earlier posts about the status of the Club. I was a full member for seven years and actually quit last year, losing my initial outlay. As noted in an earlier post, it's 'okay' if you live nearby, but it's nothing worth driving any distance for.

Hi WilliaminBKK

I captain the golf section of the British Club. If your Dad is into golf, he will be most welcome to join us. I'm not Oxford or Cambridge - a Yorkshireman actually. We play a semi-serious round every month at the same course, interspersed with social rounds at different courses throughout the year.

Call me if you wish to talk about it - 0870513548.

Ray Bloom

You might want to try the Polo Club in Wireless Road - although not sure how long the waiting list is now.

Much better facilities than the British Club and of course a more International membership.

Patrick

About 1 million (for life) when I last heard from my cousin a year or two ago.

Forget the British Club,come to Pattaya,join company with other Brits in the Go Go bars,300 baht bar fines the norm,cheap Chang 35 baht,Thai whiskey and coke 10 baht

It's not only an outdated concept, it's also just no longer especially valid in this age of "expat" pubs in virtually every corner of Bangkok (and beyond) and cyber networking.

I've been a member for a long time now.

As much as I used to like the faded Raj feel of the place, as we Brits desperately tried to cling onto what little overseas influence we once had, as I'm seldom in the office anymore, don't really look in any more. I really should.

The only real function it used to serve was as a refuge from the TEFL set but it over the past 10 years or so they seem to have been admitted in ever increasing numbers and their badgering for contacts to get them out of the classroom frankly became another good reason to stay away.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

It's not only an outdated concept, it's also just no longer especially valid in this age of "expat" pubs in virtually every corner of Bangkok (and beyond) and cyber networking.

I've been a member for a long time now.

As much as I used to like the faded Raj feel of the place, as we Brits desperately tried to cling onto what little overseas influence we once had, as I'm seldom in the office anymore, don't really look in any more. I really should.

The only real function it used to serve was as a refuge from the TEFL set but it over the past 10 years or so they seem to have been admitted in ever increasing numbers and their badgering for contacts to get them out of the classroom frankly became another good reason to stay away.

In my opinion, there is no comparison between pubs in Bangkok and the Chuchill Bar at the British Club Bangkok. Many of the guys at the Churchill Bar have been members for 10+ years. Lots of history, tradition, friendship and some fights. They welcome new members. They are not customers but owners of the club. I've never met a TEFL person at the club. Almost all are working executive businss men and a few retirees.

It is a fading beauty but that just adds to its charm. Its the last truly colonial cub in Asia. Hong Kong and Singapore clubs are all business now. In the British Club Bangkok the beers are 50 baht, the Brits still rule, the staff serve with a smile and the bar closes when the last member leaves.

Bangkok Gentlemen Spoofers meet at the club on Tuesdays around 8:30. PM me if you would like to join or check here http://www.bangkokspoofers.com/