Smart Phone App And Connection Usage

BuckarooBanzai

Having decided to join the 21st century I just picked up an inexpensive Android Smart Phone and now find myself in a conundrum. I am using prepaid 12call to protect myself from excessive connection cost exposure. Initially loaded 200 baht and found out that about half, 100 baht is used up in a very short couple of hours (3 apps downloaded and background apps running. This is with no "internet plan" connected to the sim. By the by just using edge+ out here in the sticks.

The first question regards all the apps connected to the internet in the background. I am very selective in what programs on my computer connect with the internet through my firewall and was shocked at this apparent open door policy on a smart phone. I do not know what half these programs do (included with phone) and so am very uncomfortable with my current set up. Is there a firewall app or some way of determining the security rating of apps and their internet usage? How do you control internet usage, time and data, with all these apps running all the time?

The second question regards internet service plans. Two choices, hours or data transfer. How do you choose when you want an inexpensive (as in not unlimited) option? I am afraid that if I leave the internet connection enabled on the phone all these vampire apps will just consume both connection time and data transfer content. How do you know what the appetite of your smart phone is as regards internet connections?

I am currently leaning towards 1 GB content prepaid at 350B/mo so I can leave the connection open and not worry about on-ing and off-ing connectivity. My needs are very modest, some googleing, some translating, some news etc. using the edge level tech. If anyone can help educate me in these very unfamiliar waters I would be grateful.

An app that logs app internet usage would be of benefit I would think. Help!

Without a data plan you are paying 1 baht/min for the time period(s) you are connected.

In most cases a volume-based (MB) plan is best.

The 1 GB/30 days/375 baht (with VAT) might be a great place to start. You can add value to your SIM, then subscribe to this plan by *133*22# SEND

I use DroidStats (free, in The Market), which allows you to track voice, SMS, data usage, set billing date and alarms on thresholds. After using it for 8 months I have a pretty good handle on my usage patterns, so can choose a pre- or post-paid plan accordingly.

AIS has rolled EDGE+ (384 Kbps) and 3G to some provincial locations.

Without a data plan you are paying 1 baht/min for the time period(s) you are connected.

In most cases a volume-based (MB) plan is best.

The 1 GB/30 days/375 baht (with VAT) might be a great place to start. You can add value to your SIM, then subscribe to this plan by *133*22# SEND

I use DroidStats (free, in The Market), which allows you to track voice, SMS, data usage, set billing date and alarms on thresholds. After using it for 8 months I have a pretty good handle on my usage patterns, so can choose a pre- or post-paid plan accordingly.

AIS has rolled EDGE+ (384 Kbps) and 3G to some provincial locations.

Thanks lomatopo, good info. Will try DroidStats.

Also turn off automatic updating of Market Applications, not sure maybe you have to do this by individual app?. Then update Market apps when you have a WiFi connection, if applicable. Other than that I can't think of a lot of background data-downloading that goes on without the user having specified they wanted it?