Flight Of The Gibbons

iannrob

I did this trip about a year ago, and recall there was some walking to do on uneven jungle paths between the zip wire platforms - but not long distances, at a guess, maybe about 100-200 metres.

If you can handle that, and assuming they have not altered the circuit since then, you should be OK to go.

If you are now in Chiang Mai, it would be best to phone their office and chat to someone who can answer you directly.

It's otherwise a nice experience, albeit a bit pricey, but it was well organised and the accompanying guides were excellent.

Happy zipping!

I did this just a week or so ago.

There is a little bit of hiking in between a couple of the platforms. It is through the jungle on narrow muddy paths with roots and mud puddles across it. And it zig zagged uphill for a bit too. It isn't far but it is uneven. There was also a small steep spiral staircase around a tree trunk to get down from one platform to the next.

You should be fine on the zip lines though and I am sure that the guides will let you take it easy if you prefer. If you do go be sure to pull your feet up before you land and stand gently otherwise you could get a jolt to your knees from the abrupt landing.

The waterfall walk at the end would be out but it would still be nice to sit in the pergola area at the bottom, you still see the waterfall just don't hike to the top.

Any other questions I am happy to help out if I can.

I did this just a week or so ago.

There is a little bit of hiking in between a couple of the platforms. It is through the jungle on narrow muddy paths with roots and mud puddles across it. And it zig zagged uphill for a bit too. It isn't far but it is uneven. There was also a small steep spiral staircase around a tree trunk to get down from one platform to the next.

You should be fine on the zip lines though and I am sure that the guides will let you take it easy if you prefer. If you do go be sure to pull your feet up before you land and stand gently otherwise you could get a jolt to your knees from the abrupt landing.

The waterfall walk at the end would be out but it would still be nice to sit in the pergola area at the bottom, you still see the waterfall just don't hike to the top.

Any other questions I am happy to help out if I can.

I am thinking of doing it tomorrow, how much did they charge you for it and where did you buy the tickets?

I did the Jungle Flight (the competition) with my visiting sister and nephew: http://www.jungle-flight.com/en/ It was outstanding. The terrain and walking were also as described above. They have a short and a long version. So if you have some physical challenges, the short version would be best for you. As I recall, the cost was 1,800 baht/person for the long version (call ahead and negotiate a little). There was a 200 baht/person discount for not using the van from Chiangmai.

The problem I had with Flight of the Gibbon was that I wanted to drive there and did not want to take their "tour van" from Chiangmai. I f'ing HATE being a captive tourist! They gave me a lot of trouble about that and tried to force me into the van. They would not even tell me where the ride was located. I finally had enough and went with Jungle Flight. They were wonderfully cooperative on all fronts. We were not disappointed. Outstanding place, people and ride. A very delicious lunch, too!

Edited by TongueThaied

I bought the tickets online from their website. You really just book on their website and then you pay when you get there. Cost is 2999 but with proof of residency I paid locals price which was 1299. It includes transfer to and from (about an hour out of town), about 3hrs ziplining, lunch and a visit to the waterfall.

Edited by CMwanderer

The problem I had with Flight of the Gibbon was that I wanted to drive there and did not want to take their "tour van" from Chiangmai. I f'ing HATE being a captive tourist! They gave me a lot of trouble about that and tried to force me into the van. They would not even tell me where the ride was located. I finally had enough and went with Jungle Flight. They were wonderfully cooperative on all fronts. We were not disappointed. Outstanding place, people and ride. A very delicious lunch, too!

In BKK, tour agencies get free usage of vans form a Jewelry company called 'Gems Gallery", as long as they take the tourist to the Gems Gallery store, wonder if this is anything like BKK. Gems Gallery has over 300 vans.

I have a friend who did the Flight of The Gibbons when she was 82 years old and was hoping she'd win some sort of award from them. Nope, she's not their oldest customer. They say an 87-year old fully participated. My "young" friend suggested that anyone with any "special needs" that weren't obvious (like the fact you're 82 going on 52) just let them know and they'll do a great job of helping.

I did the Jungle Flight (the competition) with my visiting sister and nephew: http://www.jungle-flight.com/en/ It was outstanding. The terrain and walking were also as described above. They have a short and a long version. So if you have some physical challenges, the short version would be best for you. As I recall, the cost was 1,800 baht/person for the long version (call ahead and negotiate a little). There was a 200 baht/person discount for not using the van from Chiangmai.

Been there - if you say your all arriving on motorcycles there happy to accommodate, but they offer no discount for providing your own transportation. Reportedly it's the villagers, at the FOTG local, that have asked this as parking is limited in the village, and the roads unsafe for local transport from start to finish points. Refreshing no to hear of such concern for our safety. :rolleyes:

But check out the area of Flight of the Gib and beyond, it's a nice piece of country side.

A group of 5 seniors, 4 in there 70's and 1 at 66, did both zip lines last March.

+1 for jungle flight instead of the gibbon

very helpful, courteous staff, great day out, as mentioned above small walks between some stages, but they accommodate people of all levels, and you have time to catch up with the others whilst they are waiting to go down the zips. safety seems to be of high importance to them, hope they keep it up.

+1 for jungle flight instead of the gibbon

very helpful, courteous staff, great day out, as mentioned above small walks between some stages, but they accommodate people of all levels, and you have time to catch up with the others whilst they are waiting to go down the zips. safety seems to be of high importance to them, hope they keep it up.

Have you experienced both Jungle Flight and Flight of the Gibbons recently? That's the only valid way to make a comparison.