Crash Bars On Your Bike

wana

anyone ever had crash / safety bars welded onto a bike ?

i would be interested in knowing how much it costs and where it can be done

also does it help the rider or just the bike ? i asked a thai guy who has them on his phantom and he said its for "safety on big road " :)

seen an imported honda hornet 600cc with heavy duty fall protection frame added and it didnt look too bad on that bike

now that u mention it tiger put them on all the traffic police bikes ( the boxer 200's)

my boxer 250 is in the tiger centre now beiing serviced so i might ask them when i go back if they could make a set to fit other bikes and mount it

now that u mention it tiger put them on all the traffic police bikes ( the boxer 200's)

my boxer 250 is in the tiger centre now beiing serviced so i might ask them when i go back if they could make a set to fit other bikes and mount it

Good luck.... it's hard getting Thai's to do things out of the norm.... what bike do you want them for?

Tiger does not sell the crash bars for the police bikes afaik. But they sell smaller crash bars for the Boxer. Not expensive, 900 Baht or something like this.

I also asked them for the luggage rack of the Police Boxer (for mounting the small white box on the back) and was told i have to find someone on my own to make this for me.

well crash bungs are readily available for the bikes you mentioned.. look at cbr250thai.com and er6thai.com (i think)

Tony (Bigbikebkk) sells some excellent quality units for the Kawasaki's and maybe the Cbr (not sure)

Where's ya brother in law. you can pm if ya dont want to open forum it.

http://mocyc.com/store/view.php?idclassified=476106

Edited by thaicbr

thats cool ,thanks everyone

i thought it would need a metal worker to fabricate and weld on those things

if you can just buy it and bolt it on i will do it no problem

it just sounded more complicated before i knew the details :)

Sounds like you've been given good advice mana.

I'd like to add that you should avoid ever welding something to your bike and certainly not to the frame.

thats cool ,thanks everyone

i thought it would need a metal worker to fabricate and weld on those things

if you can just buy it and bolt it on i will do it no problem

it just sounded more complicated before i knew the details :)

Crash bars save damage to the bike and it keeps a heavy bike off your legs if you happen to go down wrong.

Cheap helmets and crash bars give you some sense of security but it may be a false security. Consider those crash bars folding back and actually trapping your foot. Make sure what you buy is heavy enough and strong enough to actually give you some real protection.

Crash bars save damage to the bike and it keeps a heavy bike off your legs if you happen to go down wrong.

Cheap helmets and crash bars give you some sense of security but it may be a false security. Consider those crash bars folding back and actually trapping your foot. Make sure what you buy is heavy enough and strong enough to actually give you some real protection.

Crash bars are only really effective or any use on a large heavy bikes that will cause damage when dropped while standing still, makes them easy to pick up as well, if you are moving down the road and lay the bike down they will fold up and as written upove and may trap your legs.

As well they can be a pain in heavy traffic.

I have them front and rear on my bike only because I havent got around to removing the front crash bars and need a kit to remove the rear.

Maybe different if you use strong crash bars on a light bike then they might stand up to sliding down the road with out folding.

I'm not sure whether crash bars sound like such a great idea. As some have mentioned above - I think frame or engine sliders are the way to go. They bolt directly onto the bike, save your legs from being crushed by the bike and will never fold up and wrap you in a high speed slide. Everyone I know who rides on a track has them fitted and I've personally found out how strong the professional sliders can be (easily hold up a 200kg+ bike with bending)

:jap:

my brother in law asked me if i could put them on a few of his rentals bikes at their hotel so everything from cbr 250rs up to the kawasakis 650s to stop drunken tourists falling off them and scratching the panels :rolleyes:

thought thats how they made their money ??? :whistling:

thats the jet ski guys.... ;)

ive never had trouble renting a bike in bangkok or pattaya (always friendly and got the deposit back when i brought the bike back ) never crashed a rental though ,im sure they wouldnt be impressed :D

wana, I think your second question has been largely overlooked: also does it help the rider or just the bike ?

These used to be called "leg-breakers" in OZ as they are great for protecting the bike but not so good if you end up going over the handlebars.

According to some studies "crash bars are not an effective injury countermeasure; the reduction of injury to the ankle-foot is balanced by increase of injury to the thigh-upper leg, knee, and lower leg". It all depends on the sort of accident you are most likely to have - generally, the slower you go, the more useful they probably are.

im thnking on sports bikes the slider bungs/pegs are a better way to stop bike panels scraping the ground in a fall than the thin metal tubing covered in chrome but its more to protect the bikes panels from scratches ,i dont think they would seriously help a rider too much and as somebody mentioned .......the cheaper bars could fold back and pin your legs to the bike (imagine your leg (possibly broken :blink: ) being pinned to a red hot engine and exhaust downpipe ....OUCH )

( i would like to see what they look like in the flesh but i havent had much time lately to cruise around shops so i might order a set online and put it on a cbr to see how it looks like ,there seems to be tonnes of them on the market so il start at the cheapest set that looks ok and work upwards from there :))

"Consider those crash bars folding back and actually trapping your foot." I've seen enough wrecked bikes over the last 50 years to know there is truth in that statement. Don't do it folks!

Crash bars are only rollover protection for a parked bike.

I had a mechanic copy some Touratech fairing bars for my GS. I also mount extra lights on them. I have the BMW engine protector as well. Both have saved my fairings and more from damage putting the bike down when off road, but that is as useful as they get. They are not likely to trap me if I put the bike down hard, but they won't really save the bike either.

I paid 5,000 Baht for fairing protectors, replacement foot pegs, and radiator guards (all copies of Touratech parts). They don't look perfect, but they serve their purpose. I will however replace the fairing protectors soon as the design is sub-optimal...

Happy riding.

"Consider those crash bars folding back and actually trapping your foot." I've seen enough wrecked bikes over the last 50 years to know there is truth in that statement. Don't do it folks!

Crash bars are only rollover protection for a parked bike.

Again that depends on experiences. Even if I agree there is a risk you can get injured, all crash bar won't work the same way, depending on the big and how it is installed and how the crash occurs.

I have never had any since I found them terribly ugly, however it is used commonly enough to agreed that it does not represent a direct danger.

A helmet can save you life, but it can also kill out if the chin strap is too tight for instance, a motocross helmet can be dangerous on a front face crash since the chin guard will broke into pieces more easily than a full face road helmet and can hit your eyes or so.

So crash bars, I would say "yes" if the look does not bother you much. However there is different type for a same bike. Take a Hornet for instance, you can have crash bar in different design and shape or only those small guards on the side of the engine.

Depending on the bike, those crash elements will be mounted on the frame or on the engine. On Hornet, it is wisely recommended not to use them since it is mounted on the engine fixation to the frame and those fixations will break 90% of the time when you crash while equipped with those engine guards, even a low speed. The problem is that you can weld a frame quite easily but not an engine, due to its composition. So in the case of the Hornet, it may, in certain situation, do more damage than anything else.

So my advice is to look where those crash bars would be located and mounted on the bike. For example, the one on police Tigers are obviously not for crash but if the bike dropped on the side. They also use it as holster for their equipment. Stunters use crash bars on sportbike because they mainly drop the bike at veeeery low speed.

Now if you have a sportbike and use it on the track or open road, I will suggest you to take the engine guards. It is lighter, smaller, more discreet, and plenty efficient enough for what you are (hopefully) not using it. But remember, most "crash safety" stuffs to put on the bike are effective at very low speed or when stopped. If you crash while riding at normal speed, your bike might be wrecked anyway.

Hope it helps the OP.