Scooter- Buy Or Rent

macdaddy

Hey all, just landed in chiang mai, and have been itching to get ahold of a scooter asap. I have a budget of about 12,000 bht, and will be here for 9 months.should i buy or rent, I have seen a few for sale on Craigslist & the classifieds here within my budget but I don't know whether its gonna be good enough quality?if anyone knows where to rent one for cheep, I'd be interested.Also, do I need some form of license or insurance?would it be good enough to cary around my US drivers license?

I would lean toward renting a bike. On avg over 9 month you would spend ~15k - 20K. You could possibly save a thousand or so by buying a bike and selling it before you leave, but its just not worth the hassle. Get a rental, exchange it if you have any problems and enjoy your vacation.

BTW, if you are riding a motorbike you own without a Thai license, you may have some problems. If you are using a rental, you will not be hassled unless you cause an accident or the like.

Legally, you should get a Thai license if you are here that long.

Some Suzuki Smashes are in that price range, had a friend that had one and it wouldn't die. I'd stay away from the Tiger motorbikes as it may end up costing you more in repairs and harder to sell when the time comes.

Go out to MeeChok Plaza on Saturday or Sunday morning there are over 1,000 used motorcycles there - And all have price tags! - Great place to start and see whats available...

The gloom and dooms will follow and say that most used bike dealers have the odometers clocked - Which may be true... But a buyer needs to be observant and test drive and if the bike seems good shape go for it... Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Are you on a tourist visa? Your present license will be fine. O visa, Thai license. Insurance……Don't trust the rental!!!! Do some homework. Rent or buy, up to you…I would rent, agree long term rent, pay monthly. Last thing….Don't trust that smile in the bike shop…….DO YOUR HOMEWORK……….As you yanks say 'Bone-up' and enjoy!

If you will be here for 9 months and want to save some money-buy one for about 15K-20K-at the end you'll still will sell it easy for 10K-15K(?),if no damage...just stay away from the old automatic ones,they are not worth much and hard to repair...otherwise you will spend 2-3k a month=18-27K(!) and nothing back...

...I never was ask for the license in 10 years...well,no accidents and always have a helmet on...

I am on a student visa, studying at CMU, What do they base the test on? I think i could pass a driving test, but don't have a valid license back home.

The test seems to be based on your ability to turn up and hang around for most of the day.

You don't have to be able to ride a m/c and everyone passes.

Are you on a tourist visa? Your present license will be fine. O visa, Thai license. Insurance……Don't trust the rental!!!! Do some homework. Rent or buy, up to you…I would rent, agree long term rent, pay monthly. Last thing….Don't trust that smile in the bike shop…….DO YOUR HOMEWORK……….As you yanks say 'Bone-up' and enjoy!

Yes, please do some homework. Your visa has nothing to do with what license you need. Just because people haven't been asked for their license doesn't mean that you don't need one. I got my Thai license, because by law I need either that or an international license in addition to my Finnish MC license. The international license being just a translation of the Finnish EU-license. The rules vary from country to country, so look into it.

My reasoning is that if I'm ever in any kind of trouble, at least I can't be blamed for not having the proper license.

Also a Thai drivers license gets you into national parks and such for the same price as the locals. Mine paid for itself within a couple of months.

EDIT: And getting the Thai license is really, really easy. It takes half a day and the most expensive part of it is the certificate of residence, which costs 500 baht.

Edited by jkfkr

re ... everyone passes.

is tha right ? ... bugger .... i thought i was special : (

to the op .. rent one monthly but buy a strong chain and padlock and lock it every time you leave it

cos if its stolen you will probably end up paying its estimated value ? ... 15 to 45 thousand .... not good !

good luck .. dave2

post-42592-0-24241500-1316651569_thumb.j

Go out to MeeChok Plaza on Saturday or Sunday morning there are over 1,000 used motorcycles there - And all have price tags! - Great place to start and see whats available...

The gloom and dooms will follow and say that most used bike dealers have the odometers clocked - Which may be true... But a buyer needs to be observant and test drive and if the bike seems good shape go for it... Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm not big on buying 2nd hand bikes, but this is probably the way if you're not here long. There are dealers that sell bikes in there and will also buy from you on the spot. Something like a Wave 100 would cost around 20k and they'd more than likely buy back for about 15. These things also go forever, so as long as it starts first time and feels ok around the block with no wobble etc...

You can get a Suzuki Crystal 2 stroke with electric start for 5000-8000 bht

They run forever but don't attract the ladies.

Lots of fun on those. They go like stink, esp when tuned. Balls to the 'ladies'. ;)

Why is it gloom and doom to warn people of what goes on? I thought it was an information forum, some people may not know they are being ripped off in this way :jerk:

Yes, please do some homework. Your visa has nothing to do with what license you need. Just because people haven't been asked for their license doesn't mean that you don't need one. I got my Thai license, because by law I need either that or an international license in addition to my Finnish MC license. The international license being just a translation of the Finnish EU-license. The rules vary from country to country, so look into it.

My reasoning is that if I'm ever in any kind of trouble, at least I can't be blamed for not having the proper license.

Also a Thai drivers license gets you into national parks and such for the same price as the locals. Mine paid for itself within a couple of months.

EDIT: And getting the Thai license is really, really easy. It takes half a day and the most expensive part of it is the certificate of residence, which costs 500 baht.

Oh smart ass! He didn't ask for a discount card…..Did he? Ifhe is on a tourist visa, a full license, (appropriate to the class of vehiclehe's driving) from his home country will do it, normally. As he is visiting fora holiday only. If he holds a 'Non-resident' visa, he should hold a Thai license. (as he is living in Thailand) maybe to satisfy The 'high Thai driving standards' and you being Finnish, maybe your license don't cut the mustard in Thailand!…………..YOU'VE been told to provide either an international or Thai driving license. That would explain a lot, I did hear the Alcohol to blood level has to be 50, 50 to drive in Finland.

Edited by Tonto21