Make Yogurt In Your Crockpot

kikoman

Excuse me for my ignorance but you have a 25 hour process to save about 125 Baht, 1/2 gallon of Yolida yogurt costs about 200 Baht and is exellent of taste and sugar free,and that is if nothing goes wrong and you eat it all before expiry date.

I guess i just go to any supermarket and buy Yolida whenever I want to eat yogurt.

Every one marches to a different drummer, if buying your yogurt is great for you then by all means buy it!

I make mine because I like to be in charge of what I put into my body, On the hand I save money, I never purchased a half gallon of yogurt, but what I do save is great for me and my family, adding that money to the money I save in making whole wheat bread, my own DIY pickles, my ham /bacon,my own DIY corn beef, home made pizza, home made Mexican food , etc.

I do it mainly because of the self satisfaction in producing my own food, that is great for me as it helps me spend my golden years doing some thing helpful for myself and my family.

Cheers::)

Good response kikoman

Just ran across this and looked interesting as many of us out-country do not have ovens. How to make bread in your rice cooker. Have not tried it yet though. http://www.wikihow.c...ce-Cooker-Bread

Edit - many more using rice cookers for making bread on the web - just google.

What a great idea, I must try it!

I Have a complaint about the article- the type is to small, so I will google it at the web site.

Back home I was introduced to bread making in a bread machine, now I will try your suggestion in our rice cooker.

I had great results with the bread machine and am interested in how a rice cooker bread will be.

Buckaroo you should try it and then make a thread on your recipe and outcome.

Thank you

make sure you get a large plastic storage tub to keep in the fridge if yer makin' 1/2 gallon quantities...

FWIW yogurt makers are available mail order from amazon.com...meself I got a Severin with 7 individual pots; just a teaspoon prepared yogurt starter (usually make do with 'Dutchie' plain; has sugar, I know) per pot then add milk and stir, wait 8 hours et viola...just made sum last night and gonna use it tonight with chicken paprika instead of sour cream (paprika imported from Taj's market in Brighton from my last trip)...nice chicken breasts down the market...

Is it really cheaper to make your own? Milk is about 80 baht for 2 litres, doubt you'd get as much yoghurt as you would from the 50-odd baht tub of Yolinda from Tops. I like to make my own because I can control the sourness, depending on what I'm going to be using it for, but would be interested in the economics of it. Cheaper or not???

Is it really cheaper to make your own? Milk is about 80 baht for 2 litres, doubt you'd get as much yoghurt as you would from the 50-odd baht tub of Yolinda from Tops. I like to make my own because I can control the sourness, depending on what I'm going to be using it for, but would be interested in the economics of it. Cheaper or not???

What do you mean?

A 2 litre batch of yogurt gives me... 2 litres of yogurt. If I'm wanting a greek style yogurt I strain it and I get about 1.2 -1.5 litres. For 80 baht it is much cheaper than the 500 ml pots for 50 baht.

I Just completed my 2nd batch of yogurt, the 1st batch lasted less then a week ( I used part of it to make Ranch salad dressing /dip)

It was much easier and faster making the 2nd batch, this time I included some pictures.

1st one in the morning after the yogurt cultured all night.

post-91962-0-65039900-1317260256_thumb.jpg

2nd one showing the thickness of the yogurt.

post-91962-0-79396900-1317260343_thumb.jpg

3rd one straining the yogurt to make a Greek yogurt.

post-91962-0-98771000-1317260369_thumb.jpg

Edited by kikoman