Bangkok Help?

TAHISA

Hello,

I am new to Thailand, finishing up my TESOL certification in Pattaya now.

I have never been to Bangkok but would like to find a nice hotel or guest house to stay in Bangkok for a few weeks until I figure out exactly where I will be working and living.

Does anybody have any advice about where in the city I should post up in for a few weeks? I am a American who doesn't drink or speak very much Thai.

Any information about how people and culture and money are distributed across Bangkok would be greatly appreciated.

Well,it seems that you our way to nice....I can tell you that the "Offers" of help will shortly be coming your way.On the brighter side of your question,finding short term housing is not hard(this forum has many links).On the language side of things...you really need a "Thai (gf)"...If you our teaching English,or going to be doing so,then learning a bit of Thai is in order.As for your money? That also will get lots of attention and offers of help....LOL!The simple answer is to take things slow in all areas.If you our going to teach,then try and get housing included in your contract.The rural areas of Thailand need teachers,and housing is sometimes included.I suggest you open a savings account/debit card(Bangkok Bank has a section dedicated to foreigners needing this help,with or without work permits or long term visa).I would be very careful of help from any source(me included!).Thailand is "Legend" for lost souls & money & your chosen profession of teaching English.....That road is filled full of very deep holes..I would go and visit "Ajarn.com" first before you jump into the fray!This site is for Teachers(TEFL) & such with many jobs,housing,and much needed advice for first time teachers.The first part of this post was in jest(mostly!).Thailand is a fun and safe place to try your hand @ teaching English,meeting like minded people,and having the adventure of your life!Chok dee

Give it a few weeks, then the realisation the lowly TEFL salary barely covers the cost of a nice hotel or guest house.

Hope the OP likes to be beside the seaside, he may well end up reinventing himself and getting a job in a boiler room down Hua Hin way, timeshare tout on one of the islands may also be an option.

If you want to get any sensible answers you need to realise that bangkok is a BIG CITY. What is your budget for "guest house" hotel etc? You don't drink. Do you want to be in tourist area or boondocks? Your question as written is like saying

i am thinking of going to new york city...where should i stay?? Plenty of people on TV will help you but you need to be much more specific....

There are plenty of people here that can give you the information you are looking for, but you need to let us know more info.

Need to know what your budget is for a place to stay. You can rent a place for as little as $2000-3000B per month and this would be for a 1 room, in a not so nice place. From there it goes up to whatever you can afford. Let us now how much your budget is for a place to stay and im sure you will get plenty of suggestions. Do you have any idea where in BKK you want to stay, any offer for work yet? Bangkok is a big city, it's a good idea to try and stay not too far from the subway to skytrain for easy and fast city navigation. Anyway provide some more info.

Its not out in the sticks but its not near the bts but its cheap and clean I have stayed there a longggggggggggggg time agao for a few nights.

If you arent near a bts your biggest cost will be transport although cheap buses run and even free in some cases if you dont mind 2 hour waits

Closish to a bts ie 1 -2 km can be had for 5-6ooo no trouble

Hotel below 411 baht a night i think on montlhy terms 600 daily terms

PS my wife rents and owns over 60 condos I have no link with the place below and I am not here to advertise her rooms, I just idle my days away in retirement :lol:

http://www.atromance.../promotion.html

Edited by travelmann