Lookiing A Guesthouse In Nimmanhemin For 15 Days

DrAzTiK

Hello guys,

Before come back in France, I would like to live a litle bit in Nimmanhemin Area. (from 2 october to 18 october)

Do you have any advices about a good guesthouse in this area ? I would like somethink safe coz I have a netbook and I have been aware about some stolen computers in some guesthouses.:ph34r:

Even a condo could be good for me. I can pay 200(300 bath a day .

Thank you

Nimanheimin doesnt cater to the 200 baht per day price range. 399 baht is probably the closest you'll get and its inside a soi.

I dont think you would get much for that price.

By crikey it's threads like this when one gets to reminisce about the 'good ole days'. I remember paying 40 Baht a night for a guesthouse in Bangkok back in the early 1990's and even then some fellow backpackers of the day thought it was a rip-off at that price!

But good luck with your search. It's true that Nimmanhaemin is getting a bit up-market these days, but there are always hidden gems in all areas so someone might know of somewhere cheap (maybe check the Lonely Planet forum?). I know a bloke who has a 1 bed condo down one of the sois off Nimmanhaemin for about 4,000+ THB/Mo, but being a condo, the minimum stay is 6 months unfortunately, but it just goes to show it's not high prices everywhere.

Aitch

You have no idea the trouble I get into saying this road name……………."Nimanheimin"! Know what I mean? Oooh we laugh!

Drinking again, Tonto?

Drinking….Of course! However the point I'm trying to make is mispronouncing this road name will either will get the Thai you ask wetting themselves with laughter or possibly get yourself assaulted. OK I'll spell it out……It's the 'he min' part of this name place, get this wrong and…..Very very rude inThai. Don't believe me, please try it out at you digression.

There are others in Chiangmai………….Chang Moi Road, (the road with 'Top Gear' bike shop on) get the tone wrong on the Moi, and you have just asked for; 'elephant pussy hair' Road! I always get this one wrong, (deliberately) Thai find this one hilarious.

Edited by Tonto21

Nimmanhaemin, the world has it's root in Hindi or something Indian language not Thai.

The correct transliteration of Nimmanhaemin, which I believe is ถนนนิมมานเหมินท์ in Thai, has always been a mystery to me. I've seen:

Nimmanhaemin

Nimmanhemin

Nimmanahaeminda

and even Nimmana Haeminda

(Not to mention Tonto21's Nimanheimin ;) )

.....with even more variations on the subsequent pronunciation!

I don't know the words real origins, but Nimmanahaeminda was a rich and famous Chiang Mai family who, as I understood it, donated the land on which the road was built and it was named after them to honour that.

Kamtieng, where the flower market is now, is similarly named after another branch of the family. The original "Kamthieng House was moved and preserved by the Siam Society www.siam-society.org.

Anyway, back on topic, my only advice to the OP would be if their budget is that small they should consider the other costs of living around there too. E.g. going out to eat, drink or even have a coffee is not so cheap in that part of town, though there are a few cheaper places still around.

Edited by Paagai

200-300 baht. No problem.

Thaivisa is an ok forum, but you have to ignore the drunks and the noobs.

http://www.chiang-mai.org/isra-house.html

Also there is Chom Doi House not too far from there. (Bit impersonal cheap hotel that one though)

And I saw a sign for a guesthouse inside a housing compound opposite the Rincome hotel. Don't know about the price of that one though, but have a feeling that it's over 200 baht.

Nimmanhaemin, the world has it's root in Hindi or something Indian language not Thai.

The correct transliteration of Nimmanhaemin, which I believe is ถนนนิมมานเหมินท์ in Thai, has always been a mystery to me. I've seen:

Nimmanhaemin

Nimmanhemin

Nimmanahaeminda

and even Nimmana Haeminda

(Not to mention Tonto21's Nimanheimin ;) )

.....with even more variations on the subsequent pronunciation!

I don't know the words real origins, but Nimmanahaeminda was a rich and famous Chiang Mai family who, as I understood it, donated the land on which the road was built and it was named after them to honour that.

Kamtieng, where the flower market is now, is similarly named after another branch of the family. The original "Kamthieng House was moved and preserved by the Siam Society www.siam-society.org.

Anyway, back on topic, my only advice to the OP would be if their budget is that small they should consider the other costs of living around there too. E.g. going out to eat, drink or even have a coffee is not so cheap in that part of town, though there are a few cheaper places still around.

Sorry OP slightly of-topic.

Hi 'Paagai' Before trying to be asmart ass, you should really try and understand the post your referring too! let me help you out, for all the fancy explanation you appear not to have a clue what a mispronunciation of this road name is…….'Nimmanhemin' Other wise you would …along with 'winni' known, what I was pointing out! The last two syllable need to be pronounced 'hay-min' Do you know what 'he-min' means in Thai? And your Thai spelling of the place is wrong! It's…. นิมมานเหมินทร์ I've laid it out for you …to help with pronunciation … นิม-มาน-เห-มิน………(Hay)…Not 'He'. Has this gone in? ;)

If you just can't workout what 'He-min' means in Thai……Why not ask 'winniethebuffao' he thinks he's smart. :whistling: And 'winni' don't bother to PM me back, Another Gobby keyboard warrior!

Green Palace Hotel, its located within one of the side sois, 399 per night.

Google it.

Green Palace has changed owners and names but that's probably the best choice, KRS. i didn't think of it because I was thinking of guest houses. the green Palace has little charm but for 400 baht the location can't be beat. It's on Sirimankalajarn Rd between Nimman Sois 11 and 13 (Tonto, please don't bother telling us how to mispronounce Sirimankalajarn). It's 2 long blocks to Nimmanhaemin and an easy walk to Kad Suan Kaew (That's the transliteration KSK uses; I don't understand why some posters on TV insist on using their own.)

If Isra House really has rooms for 130 baht, that could be a bargain. The GH in the mooban across from the Amari is substantially higher ("Spicy Backpacker"?)

I can't wait for Tonto's next post telling us how to mispronounce more words. hopefully it will be in the Thai language forum.

Hi 'Paagai' Before trying to be asmart ass,
Don't worry, I'm quite happy to leave the smart ass thing to you, since you so obviously enjoy it ;) Anyway, I wasn't replying to your post or your smutty attempt at childish humour :unsure:
And your Thai spelling of the place is wrong! It's….นิมมานเหมินทร์
Well take that up with google - it's how it's spelt on google maps นิมมานเหมินท์ and the family name Nimmanahaeminda as in http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/ไกรศรี_นิมมานเหมินท์ and plenty of other examples of that spelling in Thai. :coffee1:

Back on topic: Thanasiri House 16 Nimmanhemin Rd. Soi 1 might be one for the OP.