Duel Thai/British Child

A friend of mine has a child from a british father, so the child has a UK passport, which is now expired ( child is 7 years old )

as the child also has a thai passport, so can exit thailand on that passport, the british passport needs to be renewed....

is it easier to get this done in the UK, or does it have to be done in thailand ? ( the child is looking to come with his mother to the uk in Dec )

i have looked at this link - http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/thailand/renewals#much but seems expensive

please advise, as i have no clue of the best way to do it

cheers

You can apply for a UK passport from Thailand (by sending the application to HK as you've noted) or you can apply at the Passport Office in the UK. The latter is quite a bit cheaper but you will need to be in the UK for at least 3 weeks OR pay an additional fee for an expedited application. You will also need a UK mailing address. See the "Renewing or applying for your passport while visiting the UK" section on the Directgov site:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_183772

I'm not sure that the child can enter the UK on an expired British passport - if not, then he/she will require a UK visa in his/her Thai passport. The additional cost and hassle of obtaining a UK visa might make it more practical to get the new British passport from HK.

You can apply for a UK passport from Thailand (by sending the application to HK as you've noted) or you can apply at the Passport Office in the UK. The latter is quite a bit cheaper but you will need to be in the UK for at least 3 weeks OR pay an additional fee for an expedited application. You will also need a UK mailing address. See the "Renewing or applying for your passport while visiting the UK" section on the Directgov site:

http://www.direct.go...ation/DG_183772

I'm not sure that the child can enter the UK on an expired British passport - if not, then he/she will require a UK visa in his/her Thai passport. The additional cost and hassle of obtaining a UK visa might make it more practical to get the new British passport from HK.

thank you for your time to answer,

the reason for the new passport is so a UK visa is not needed, as the child can enter on his hew british passport.

so the uk application can be done in the UK while the child is in Thailand? , and then the passport can be posted?

cheers

does depend on the child's British passport and whether they have right of abode in the UK.

If so then the expired passport should entitle them to enter the UK, they will need their Thai Passport as this should have a more recent photo to prove their ID, or put it another way they can enter the UK on a Thai Passport as the expired British passport shows they do not require a visa.

Why renew the passport? it is only the UK they will have difficulty entering, there should be no problems leaving the UK or entering or leaving Thailand with a currant Thai Passport.

The only other issue is the Airlines check in Representatives being aware, but most airlines are aware so best check before traveling.

so the uk application can be done in the UK while the child is in Thailand? , and then the passport can be posted?

No. To apply for a passport in the UK you need to be in the UK. If applying in Thailand you need to apply to Hong Kong, as per your link.

I am 99.9% sure that he will be allowed into the UK with an expired British passport.

No. To apply for a passport in the UK you need to be in the UK. If applying in Thailand you need to apply to Hong Kong, as per your link.

I am 99.9% sure that he will be allowed into the UK with an expired British passport.

so just to clarify,

He could enter the UK on his thaipassprt ( without a visa ) , as long as he has his expired british passport, and then get renewed in the uk?