True Move Not Renewing Asn Contract?

TenDreams

Actually True is somewhat correct in saying their contract with ASN has expired. What they aren't saying is that ASN is now only available in HD format, something TRUE can't support either on their DSTV or fiber service, which their much bragged about 11 new HD channels, thus the company statement, maybe sometime in the future.

I went to Paradise Mall yesterday to kill the following true accounts:

1. Priemiun DSTV account

2. Two smart phone numbers as well as data service

3. Internet account

When I got to the mall I discovered the True shop boarded up, out of business. Immeditatly went to our bank and canceled True's ability to take payments from our bank. Now it's up to True to contact me to retrive their junky DSTV equipment. Why should I bother taking time to find them when they don't care about me?

If one doesn't think True has power in this country just ask why this blog has killed any comments on this subject.

Be careful with this move they will continue to charge you for the service as long as they have not received the equipment and an official cancellation of the contract and they'll have the cards to play any legal recourse they decide to take..

Many years ago when I first got here and UBC was just starting up I was happy to have it and also recommended them to many people, now I regret that TRUE has their business and cares not, why even bother to promote themselves as they do? I guess it's to recycle the customers they're loosing daily instead of maintaining the ones they have and keeping them satisfied it all comes down to the TiT standard of doing business..

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redsox, I don't understand your comments about ASN broadcasting in HD and True's HD channels having anything to do with the ASN removal...

ASN has been at least making available an HD broadcast for some time, though I don't know whether True was actually using that feed or not to deliver the standard def broadcast here.... And True has been slowly expanding their HD channel offerings over time....

What does any of that have to do with True not renewing their contract with ASN?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Let me try this again and with no nasty comment about this blog:

True Corp has stated ASN was taken off the air due to contract termination. That may well be TRUE but in actuallity ASN starting on 1 October was only going to be available in HD format. This does not "fit" into True's plans for an additional 11 HD channels for those customers who live in areas where fiber cable exists and or those currently running on their DSTV system. That being said yesterday I decided on doing the following:

1. Cancel my entire True T V package. Rabbit ears here I come

.2. Cancel my True internet connection

3. Cancel two smartphone cell numbers as well as the data packages.

Went to the Paradise Mall to accomplish the above. Found the True shop boarded up, out of business, gone. Maybe they were attempting to avoid the rush of folks attempting to cancel their services and or maybe the rents were too high.

Did manage to cancel True's ability to take monthly payments directly from our bank account. Now just waiting for the above mentioned serviced to die.

Or, get yourself a U.S. IP address and then pay $30 for a full season subscription to NFL Game Rewind...

And watch online, video on demand every and any regular season game you want, when you want.... starting no later than 24 hours after the completion of the live game.

The season subscription buys you the full 2011 regular season as well as all the regular season games from 2010 and most of the regular season games from 2009.

All commercial free and half-time reports excluded as well.

All for the less than the price of a one-month TrueVisions gold package payment.

Tall John, can you pm me with this info as well? Thanks!

I found this forum post on the ASN web site re their answer to people in Thailand asking what they can do in the wake of TrueVisions going dead....

Hi all,

Please see the following information for subscribing to ASN on 1Sky:

1. If you are a TRUE subscriber and without C-Band dish,

You need to contact 1SKY Call Center +66 2841 8888 to request special package and installation date.

Special Package

• 1SKY STB + C-Band Dish 5 ft. + Installation + Setup

• Special Price will be offered

• Promotion period now until 28 October 2011

Please request setup & installation date with 1SKY Call center.

2. If you already have a C-Band dish which can receive Thaicom,

You need to contact 1SKY Call Center +66 2841 8888 to purchase 1SKY STB at 1,500 Baht

Please be noted that ASN will be launched on the 8 Oct 2011 on 1Sky.

We are sorry for all the inconvenience caused and we are trying our very best to cater all your enquiries.

Thanks,

ASN

BTW, lots of complaints on the ASN customers forum from folks in Thailand complaining about Grammy and saying they're clueless and often don't bother to return would-be customer phone calls.

One of our fellow members here on ThaiVisa posted the following comment on the ASN forum under his same user name as here:

Devastating News....i have lived in Bangkok for 9 years...never heard of Grammy Sky 1.

I just called the number you provided. They say Nov is the earliest it will be avialable. The woman had no idea what kind of equiptment was needed except a sattelite was needed, but she had no idea what kind, where to buy, NOTHING....

ASN maybe you should call them and act like you are a prospective Bangkok customer. You will be shocked at how poorly your brand is now being represented...they have no clue and don't sound like they are ready to launch...

Edited by metisdead
I know you meant well, however, do not post URL links to other forums.

Redsox, I don't understand your comments about ASN broadcasting in HD and True's HD channels having anything to do with the ASN removal...

ASN has been at least making available an HD broadcast for some time, though I don't know whether True was actually using that feed or not to deliver the standard def broadcast here.... And True has been slowly expanding their HD channel offerings over time....

What does any of that have to do with True not renewing their contract with ASN?

True was outbid by a new company, will be shown in HD format.

Hello Astro, bye crappy True.

I got ASTRO nearly two years ago now and have to say have never regretted ditching TRUE.

ASTRO has all the BPL games, fantastic cycling coverage through Eurosport, wonderful live Rugby world cup games, cricket, American football and Baseball. Gasp! I want for nothing!!!

If you are within the signal footprint it really is worth changing over.

I thought these alternatives were being done away with? What is involved cost wise for this?

Jsat are a supplier of ASTRO and will give you an idea of the costs involved. Outside of bkk it is possible to find cheaper suppliers.

I talked with the J sat people once. this guy was rude, would barley answer a question, he is over priced. I had read some place on here that he was selling fake dream boxes. I just know I did not like how he talked, how he would only reply with one word answers. He needs to work on his personality if he wants my buesness

This is a terrible move. No NFL or NCAA football means I will cancel my True package. Will take my 2000+ THB/month back.

Don't know if the quality would be worth sh*t, but this is an option if you wanna pony up $200 https://gamepass.nfl...ecure/packages.

Streaming NFL content to Thailand is perfectly do-able...provided you have at least a decent quality internet connection... NFL requires a minimum 400 Kbps steady stream from the U.S. in order to stream properly.

The NFL Game Pass at $200 or so is marketed at non-U.S. users, and it can stream the games live since they're not burdened by the U.S. TV network anti-competition restrictions (They don't want U.S. folks watching the NFL's online stream instead of watching the games live on commercial TV with all the paid commercials).

The NFL Game Rewind season subscription at $30 is marketed at U.S. folks, or those with U.S. IP addresses, and it likewise makes all the regular season games available for streaming online...but only starting 12-24 hours after the conclusion of each game... It's priced relatively cheaply because it's not really competing with the U.S. broadcast TV market, since the games are only available online after the live broadcasts have finished...

But given that the live NFL games typically are being played between midnight and about 8 am in the morning Thailand time, when most people in Thailand are sleeping or should be, in my view, the time shift with Game Rewind ends up being kind of an advantage... not to mention the pricing differential.

Football ..or as the yanks want to call it soccer....is the worlds most popular sport,both for playing and watching. American ball games appeal far far less to the discerning supporters...apart from yanks

yanks and soccer. amirite???

Edited by anothertorres

Hello James... I'm sure I wouldn't be...

But I do know of him...quite a reputation around these TV parts... As I recall reading, he put you in your place more than a few times.... :)

But then, of course, I only know what I read here...

Ah ok, missed that tall fellow from cali-i believe. Yea he put me in my place alright, especially when it came to authentic american mexican food...

Asn is gone guys, move on as they say, and learn to enjoy the excitement of ping ping and the never ending women's world volleyball championships.

I just sent email to Truevisions to cancel my subscription, tried to look up this 1Sky Grammy info but only found a news story from The Nation, don't these guys have a website? Any ideas on how to get ASN in Pattaya?

I would try to stream the NFL games or Nascar if possible but my Sophon internet is so unstable.

It's ridiculous and petty that True would cancel ASN, the only channel in Thailand to get NFL and Nascar. How much more could it have cost to keep the channel, why couldn't they have passed on the extra cost or made it a extra charge if you wanted the channel? Did they do any marketing demographic studies or surveys before they made this decision? But obviously they don't care that there are many expats here that enjoyed it and did not think it would impact their business if they had a few cancellations. I give up trying to understand the idiotic business philosophy here. Guess I will check out the Philippines or some place else.

Fed Up...

Edited by Rainmon

and ustvnow

USTVNow is a U.S. based service that offers free and paid monthly plans for accessing U.S. network TV content, both sports and general programming...

For free, once you register online with them, you get live streaming access to the half dozen major over-the-air U.S. TV networks, with the feed coming from the U.S. East Coast. So their primetime hours are morning time here. That content is delivered from their web site via Flash streaming video. And their free plan really is free, with no catches or scams.

Then for paid monthly plans, they offer a broader channel selection, with several variations that include the cable network type channels, including ESPN and various others.... Those are delivered via a Slingbox setup. Some of their plans also include some kind of DVR setup as well, I believe.

The service is intended for U.S. citizens, whether living in the U.S. or abroad. But if you read other threads here about that, you'll find it also is accessible via a broader audience for those who are interested.

Thanks for the ustvnow tip. It streams much better than other streaming sites.

Hello Astro, bye crappy True.

I got ASTRO nearly two years ago now and have to say have never regretted ditching TRUE.

ASTRO has all the BPL games, fantastic cycling coverage through Eurosport, wonderful live Rugby world cup games, cricket, American football and Baseball. Gasp! I want for nothing!!!

If you are within the signal footprint it really is worth changing over.

I live in Pattaya. Can you tell me what ASTRO is and where I can get it? Cost etc.? thanks

My pleasure.... Glad it's working for you...

USTV Now is another way to watch NFL games live and online.... but unlike the NFL's own streaming services.... USTV Now is only showing you the relatively few network (CBS and NBC) broadcast games each week, and only showing them live when they're shown on the East Coast where their feed originates, so usually an 11 or 12 hour time difference vs. here...

Also, because USTV Now's feed originates in Pennsylvania...the regional game choices that appear via their feed tend to be East Coast teams predominantly.... So if you're a West Coast sort like me, you'll get kind of tired watching a lot of Steelers and Colts and Ravens, etc. games.

But their free plan is indeed free.... So it essentially functions as a kind of online replacement for ASN, which mostly carried the same national network broadcast games.... Except USTV Now doesn't have the many subsequent re-broadcast/repeat showings that ASN has/had.... And since USTV Now's free plan doesn't include ESPN, I'm not sure if they're picking up Monday Night Football since it's mostly not carried via the ABC network anymore...

and ustvnow

USTVNow is a U.S. based service that offers free and paid monthly plans for accessing U.S. network TV content, both sports and general programming...

For free, once you register online with them, you get live streaming access to the half dozen major over-the-air U.S. TV networks, with the feed coming from the U.S. East Coast. So their primetime hours are morning time here. That content is delivered from their web site via Flash streaming video. And their free plan really is free, with no catches or scams.

Then for paid monthly plans, they offer a broader channel selection, with several variations that include the cable network type channels, including ESPN and various others.... Those are delivered via a Slingbox setup. Some of their plans also include some kind of DVR setup as well, I believe.

The service is intended for U.S. citizens, whether living in the U.S. or abroad. But if you read other threads here about that, you'll find it also is accessible via a broader audience for those who are interested.

My pleasure.... Glad it's working for you...

USTV Now is another way to watch NFL games live and online.... but unlike the NFL's own streaming services.... USTV Now is only showing you the relatively few network (CBS and NBC) broadcast games each week, and only showing them live when they're shown on the East Coast where their feed originates, so usually an 11 or 12 hour time difference vs. here...

Also, because USTV Now's feed originates in Pennsylvania...the regional game choices that appear via their feed tend to be East Coast teams predominantly.... So if you're a West Coast sort like me, you'll get kind of tired watching a lot of Steelers and Colts and Ravens, etc. games.

But their free plan is indeed free.... So it essentially functions as a kind of online replacement for ASN, which mostly carried the same national network broadcast games.... Except USTV Now doesn't have the many subsequent re-broadcast/repeat showings that ASN has/had.... And since USTV Now's free plan doesn't include ESPN, I'm not sure if they're picking up Monday Night Football since it's mostly not carried via the ABC network anymore...

and ustvnow

The all channel promo plan for $19 seems like a pretty good deal to get a lot of channels. ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, A&E, Animal Planet, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discover Channel, ESPN, Food Network, FX, History, Lifetime, Syfy, TBS, TNT, USA. That should get a lot of football and NBA if they get their act together.

Re USTV Now, I'm assuming you're referring to this...

Initially when you sign up you will be registering for our free plan that lets you share our antenna to receive all major terrestrial stations that as an American citizen or resident you would normally be able to receive for free (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS). Click Here to signup for our free plan. After this you have the option to upgrade to any of our paid plans:

All Channel Plan without DVR (digital video recorder)

• 1 Day Pass $2.99
  • 3 Day Pass $6.99 ($2.33/day)
  • 1 Week Pass $15 ($2.14/day)
  • Monthly Subscription $29 ($0.97/day) Spring Special: All Channel Promo Plan $19/month. This promotional price is for the first three months after which it will renew at $29 (cancel anytime). For new customers only.

http://www.ustvnow.com/oc/faq.php?q=20

Truevisions and ASN Sports

I think everyone should send a Fax to Trusvision about ASN Sports

Maybe we can get it back with all that paper flooding Truevisions office got to like it.

Fax No 02 725 2500

You don't understand, they don't F****ing care, we are foreigners "farangs" dogs, same same....