Whatsapp

Phil Conners

I installed WhatsApp on my phone because it says you can send SMS with it - but it seems to just be yet another chat app. Sure it can send an SMS suggesting your partner download WhatsApp and then text with you, but I can't find anyway to just send an SMS message to a phone number from WhatsApp.

Am I misunderstanding something? What am I missing?

Nothing to miss really. Totally different applications, in nearly every way. For lack of a better comparison think email (SMS) and IM (WhatsApp). WhatsApp may kill the primary app. which makes the BB popular here.

IMO, one of the best mobile apps. to date.

WhatsApp is a mobile messaging application, not a GSM Short Message Service application. SMS is a service offering from a GSM voice/telephony service provider. SMS is a store & forward, non guaranteed service.

From the WhatsApp FAQ:

How is WhatsApp Messenger different from SMS?

SMS is an older messaging system with a limited functionality and high cost. WhatsApp Messenger aims to provide more at a lower cost. We are sure you and your friends will figure out the difference between SMS and WhatsApp Messenger very quickly.

Edited by lomatopo

Yeah that was what I finally realized. What brought me off was, while I was searching for answers on Google I came across this hit:

post-1539-0-86486800-1317037884_thumb.pn

NOTE: WhatsApp is a telephony application and as such ...

Hum. If it was able to send SMS messages it'd been cool, but as it is, I don't see any advantage over any of the other chat clients out there - in fact, I think probably a lot more people are on MSN or Skype than on this thingy. Oh, and they want payment for it where all other chat protocols are free. :huh:

Hum. If it was able to send SMS messages it'd been cool, but as it is, I don't see any advantage over any of the other chat clients out there - in fact, I think probably a lot more people are on MSN or Skype than on this thingy. Oh, and they want payment for it where all other chat protocols are free. :huh:

WhatsApp is free so not sure what your prattling on about?

WhatsApp is a much, much better mobile messaging platform than MSN or Skype. Just really no comparison.

Again, WhatsApp is not an SMS client, front-end or service.

If you use WhatsApp one time you will realize the value. Easily one of the best mobile apps. to date. Easy to use, always on (provided you have a data connection) and easy to send attachments (photos, MP3, videos). Just amazing.

WhatsApp is a much, much better mobile messaging platform than MSN or Skype. Just really no comparison.

If you use WhatsApp one time you will realize the value. Easily one of the best mobile apps. to date. Easy to use, always on (provided you have a data connection) and easy to send attachments (photos, MP3, videos). Just amazing.

I think you better check your sources first before replying in such a nasty way. I'm not prattling on about anything - "First year FREE! ($1.99/year after)" -source: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.whatsapp&feature=search_result

They promote it as an SMS "replacement" and I don't think I'm the only one expecting it to be able to communicate through some sort of SMS gateway.

In general I'm fine with email, but sometimes I need to send a quick message to family or friends on the go who don't have smartphones, i.e. SMS.

WhatsApp is a paid application on the iPhone, and a popular one I guess. Yes, it is free for the first year on other platforms. And after that, $1.99 per year. For me, free for the first year essentially means free. In the Android world one year is like 100 years in normal time. If after one year you haven't recognized the value then don't pay the $1.99, or there will be another app that is better.

Google Talk is useless compared with WhatsApp, hard to describe exactly but WhatsApp is basically open all the time (provided you have a data connection.) You can jump around to other apps as it runs int he background, with Google Talk you have to start/re-start the app constantly. I am surprised Google doesn't have a slicker mobile messaging app?

Obviously WhatsApp is only good if those you wish to message are using the app also.

I haven't tried Skype Chat, yet.

I guess if you have to send an SMS then maybe best just to originate an SMS in the standard fashion, using a front-end on your phone, and your GSM service provider? Not sure that could be any more straight-forward? Most in-country SMSes are ~ 1.00 - 1.25 baht per, while international SMSes are 5 (DTAC) - 10 baht per.

In general I'm fine with email, but sometimes I need to send a quick message to family or friends on the go who don't have smartphones, i.e. SMS.

The above post is for you. Once installed, it works well. They can reply direct to your text messages.

The main benefit to whatsapp is it is cross platform and works with BB, iPhone, and android. How many different versions of msn exist? I have a mac and it doesn't always communicate well with a PC's msn.

It requires no pin so if someone on your phone list has it, they will show up automatically without the 2nd step and added numbers. Also it has push which will work up to a week or so, so u don't miss messages. How many times have I sent a message through msn which doesn't go through? Almost every time I use it, it's has no push.

It also displays 2 check marks on each message sent which confirms both the server, and the other party have received your message, in case you only have one check, the other party may not have their phone on and it won't display a check until that person has got the message...sms doesn't do this.