Thai Student Nazi Dress-Up Day Causes Outrage

webfact

i'm sick of reading this, i'm a 1960 generation, now we have 2011.

get over it.

I'm also 1960's born; and when something as massive as this was happens in history, I hardly think "get over it" is the appropriate response. Just as a matter of interest what nationality are you and how many people in your family were affected?

I am 71 born, my father 41....it isn't that interesting anymore. Look at Vietnam war or Pol Pot, it is getting less attention than the WW2 things, even they are not that long ago.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get over it.

I'm also 1960's born; and when something as massive as this was happens in history, I hardly think "get over it" is the appropriate response. Just as a matter of interest what nationality are you and how many people in your family were affected?

Get overit, you are lucky to be here to make that comment.

The problem is that thai education does not cover world history that happened over the hills and far away, why did they not pick japanese flags and uniforms? Probably did not want to remember the occupation perhaps or their parents thought Japanese would not be a good idea and leave it at that, dont ask questions!!

Do agree about the fashion bit though and its true that the Swaztika was also a good luck sign, just not too lucky for Adolf thank you very much.

The German and Japanese people today are very different people to the ones of the WW2 time and it must be difficlut and embarassing for them too.

Com-On PEOPLE - LETS NOT BE NAIVE - you really think that this has surpassed scholars and students alike for the true meaning of the Nazi emblems and the history behind them - that the students and faculty have researched and obtained enough knowledge to reproduce the costumes in detail without knowing the history and knowledge base behind them - No Way !!!

This is clearly their retracted sense of self in play - they know it is a persecution of western ideology and they are running with it. Its a rub it in your face approach and then when questioned thay have the idiot defense. Its totally racial - its totally defiant - its totally absurd - and its total on purpose. There is no lack of knowledge for this on the grander scale and if you truly belive this is the case then you have only succeeded in fooling yourself

Considering the Thais are not even taught that they were invaded and ruled by the Japaneese in WW11 its no suprise they know even less about Germany.......take a look in Naklua and you will see many Germans wearing SS crash helmets or stickers on their bikes, also girls with tatoos......

The swastika is a religious symbol which Herr Hitler hijacked as a Nazi symbol when he used it as the hakenkreuz.

The swastika is a religious symbol, from India copied by the nazi's. See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika Together with lack of historical knowledge this probably led to the students not being aware of what they were doing.

I once borrowed "Shindlers List" to a headmaster. He was schocked and showed the movie to his students, so i gave the DVD to him and he wanted to see more movies about the holocast.

Maybe someone can send a DVD to this school.

It's sad that these children had no idea of the implications of these costumes, nor were aware of the acts committed by the Nazis. But we should ask ourselves, before we condemn the Thai educational system, how many secondary school pupils in the UK or anywhere in the west are aware for example of the Japanese actions in China throughout the 1930s?.

Also. the original report was in the Daily Wail! Try this:www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail

clap2.gif

Are YOU aware of the ancient Chinese symbol for good luck and longevity? The Nazi's stole the symbol and reversed it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

I see that every day. Swastikas on their t-shirts, Third Reich helmets and even swastikas tattooed on their arms or hands. When I ask them whether they know what it represents, they answer "fashion!"

They are not aware, not the children nor the parents. How can they be made aware? Very difficult IMO. It does need to be included in their curriculums, at school, but so do many other things.

It's sad that these children had no idea of the implications of these costumes, nor were aware of the acts committed by the Nazis. But we should ask ourselves, before we condemn the Thai educational system, how many secondary school pupils in the UK or anywhere in the west are aware for example of the Japanese actions in China throughout the 1930s?.

Also. the original report was in the Daily Wail! Try this:www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail

Not to mention that this is the SECOND time this has happened- don't have time to search for a link, but previously there was a school in Bangkok which wound up doing the same thing. The foreign teachers at the school also tried to warn them, but were of course ignored.

I'd say it reflects very, very badly on the Thai 'teachers' involved.

get over it.

I am 71 born, my father 41....it isn't that interesting anymore. Look at Vietnam war or Pol Pot, it is getting less attention than the WW2 things, even they are not that long ago.

Here's the difference war baby. The Second World War was in affect a world war with few countries being unaffected and in which millions were executed. Vietnam was a regional conflict of dubious origin and Pol Pot is struggling to get on news lists for many reasons, not least the side changing of participants in that conflict. You're father 41?

More pictures here btw: http://www.andrew-dr...ory.php?sid=444

Before anyone says it yes the Daily Mail did support Oswald Mosley in the 30s

Edited by andrewdrummond

This subject has appeared numerous times on TVF. Sadly, as most members realize, Thais are not taught much, if anything, about world history.

The fact that the swastika is a symbol used in several forms is quite common, but most Thais are oblivious to the fact that many westerner people find it offensive, given its connection and symbolism with the Nazi Party and Third Reich.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1905378,00.html

However, the total lack of responsibility and sensitivity by the people involved in for this latest debacle is simply amazing. TIT.

The word is used almost daily by Thais albeit with slightly different tone.

Sawasdee ka!

Edited by ratcatcher

I have just asked 4 Thai teaching colleagues ( all fairly young in age) what their understanding/knowledge of Nazis / Atrocities / Jews is.

Two gave the comments Dictator, Fascists, Military and Genius. When asked about what they knew of atrocities and the Jews, hey just shrugged and said they did not know much at all really.

And that was it end of conversation with Thai English Language Teachers.

Just about sums up the fact that the Thai teachers in Chiang Mai were totally oblivious to the extent of the offence that this would cause, but then they did not know what the students were doing by parading the uniforms,and why should they really, when it is not taught in the schools and probably never has been an issue for the Thais who, as I maybe naively understand , where largely unaffected by the Germans during WW2. So why would the kids of today fully understand the implications and feel the need to carry out an in depth research on the subject. After all, the Thais in education ( and their teachers before them) are well known for copying and rote learning in their academic studies, so when they see pics of german soldiers, in what many people over time have openly acknowledged as very stylish, smart uniforms, they do not know any different, other than to copy the images without delving into what its consequences are exactly.

Maybe this ignorance on the part of many Thais at many academic levels does need to be addressed, but in my opinion if you try to convince them of their ignorance, you will find yourselves banging your heads against brick walls. After all you cannot convince them that the corruption which is so endemic in their own country is what is largely holding their own country back in 3rd World status, so why would they worry about something that happened largely in a part of the world far far away and such a long long time ago.

Nazi paraphernalia is tolerated in Thailand because this country did not suffer much from WWII. If they'd lost 25 million people like the Soviet Union did for example, they would have been wearing different sort of uniforms.

Thai people have no idea what the holocaust is, and why should they care anyway, it's got nothing to do with them or their history. It's not like western kids are taught about the battle for Bangra Jun either. I don't see what the big deal is anyway it was a fancy dress, i've seen people dress up at hitler on halloween in the US and noone complained.

In fact it's not like Thai students are the only ones who have dressed up as hitler either http://gothamist.com/2006/11/01/no_high_school.php happens everywhere in the world whether they are educated about the holocaust or not.

Why blaming the kids ?

A few weeks ago I posted about a Thai right wing group that called itself "SS" in obvious reference to the infamous nazi organisation. I asked posters that have in the past made clear their support for affiliated organisations to state their position regarding this "SS" group, I never got any answer.

Don't blame the kids or the Thais. It's our primary duty for us European to keep the memory alive so history won't repeat itself. If we chose to remain silent, we have only ourselves to blame.

The Nation

Published on August 10, 2011

In a sign of increasing online witch-hunting against its political opponents, ASTV-Manager daily newspaper, the mouthpiece of the yellow-shirt People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), on Monday produced the picture and name of the latest man charged under lese majeste laws.

The newspaper quoted an ultra-royalist social-sanction group (known as the SS) as declaring victoriously: "Another one is down."

The same SS posted much information about the man, a new graduate from Kasetsart University, on its website. The name, photo and details are there to assist, or even encourage, ultra-royalists to send threatening e-mail or make hate phone calls to the man and his family.

http://www.nationmul...y-30162390.html

Edited by JurgenG

get over it.

I tend to agree with you.

This is seen as insensitive to *western* culture, ... et alors? WWII for Thailand was all about Japan, not Germany and the holocaust.

Now for a catholic school, certainly the teacher(s) following the students' work should have known better.

It is a good lesson for the Thai students in cultural sensitivity, but the outrage seen here is, perhaps, overdone. (IMHO).

Others have made good points, Japan/China/1930s, religious symbols, etc...

haha, classic Thailand. Thailand doesn't teach it's own history, who are we to expect them to teach any one else's?

Very True, When ever I talk to students about History, be it in Thailand and South East Asia the lack of any historical knowledge of their own region is staggering

.......take a look in Naklua and you will see many Germans wearing SS crash helmets or stickers on their bikes, also girls with tatoos......

That is a bloody lie. In Germany it is a criminal offence showing or wearing Nazi symbols. We are taught extensively in school what happened during the Third Reich and in many schools it is mandatory to visit a "Konzentrationslager". When Thais wearing Nazisymbols I am always really embaressed and I asked myself how the people here can be so ignorant. It is a Catholic school where this happened and they should be very aware of this because of their colaboration with the Third Reich.

that emblem has been used in India long before hitler was born. associated with Buddhism and Hinduism. a school teacher of mine while I was growing up spoke about this emblem and mentioned that Hitler was a buddhist before he turned "to the dark side". turned the emblem upside down and there they have something for the nazis. probably just a fairy tale the story but thought i'd share it anyways. :)

Edited by tigerbeer

This is very strange and is smacks of total ignorance of WWII history and Nazi Germany. Don't these teachers read? If I am not mistaken, this is NOT the first time it has happened in Thailand.

You are right, it certainly isn't the first time in Thailand. But, the people not knowing about WW11 is very typical of the Thai education system.As I was personally told by a director at a school I taught at, "The Monks will teach the students all they need to know about history." It's no wonder this is and will be for a long time a 3rd world country as long as the culture rules.

A Catholic school. Perhaps they were confused by the fact the current 'Holy Father' used to be a member of the Hitler Youth. :annoyed: Just as plausible??

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”