Foxtail Palms

heliox

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me in advising what insecticide I need to buy that can help me bring my palms back as they are looking pretty sick, they are looking brown spindly and the new sprouts are the only leaves that look bright green.I have been told it is something that affect coconuts as well.

With all the rain lately they can't be underwatered but am thinking they could need some form of feeding as I have 3 in close proximity to each other.As I am not very green fingered and the bags off nutrients sold in shop have 3 sets of numbers which is mumbojumbo to me, so help in what to buuy would help.

Thanks in advance

Darren

hi mate:

We bought 4 about five years ago and only have two left..dug up stumps and found the dead ones had termite lodges inside root ball.

.I moved one of the remainder about two years ago and found it too had termites ..just sprayed with insecticide and replanted ( too deep I think now... but seems okay)

Interesting tip.... An American told me he had sick palms in Georgia and he was told by a garden centre they had been planted too deep..said he lifted 'em up and they stared to grow well..think about how well coconut palm nuts sprout and grow sitting on top of the soil..? I buried sprouting coconuts and they died..now just sit 'em in a saddle of dirt...very slow growth though after initial spurt.

We have about a dozen quite attractive 2-8 foot betel nut palms grown from seed with little attention (3.5 years approx)..you might want to try that?

oh and watch out for scorpions when pulling off dead palm leaves..they seem to love living under the woody shroud next to the trunk!

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Had a look at the base of the palms and don't think they are too deep as the wiry roots are showing on the surface.The plants are 7 years old now and were doing fine and in the last 12 months seemed to take a turn for the worse.

I am thinking it is some sort of bug that is doing the damage will see if can't post a few pics as pictures paint a thousand words.

Cheers