Australian Visa For Thai Relative

My Thai wife and I (living in Australia) are expecting a baby before the end of the year ( :) ) and are trying to arrange for my wife's parents (living in Thailand) to visit early next year for one month. Both my wife and I are Australian citizens and have lived in Australia for 6+ years.

Which visa is most suitable for the visiting parents? It appears that we have two options for them:

Tourist Visa - 676

Sponsored Family Visitor Visa - 679

There appear to be minor differences in the forms and processes. The 679 visa appears to be more suitable as we can make the applications in Australia on behalf of the parents in law but its more expensive and is non refundable if rejected. The 676 needs to be applied for by the parents in law in Thailand but is cheaper at $110.

Can anyone shed any light on the process and the suitability. I really don't want to spend hours on the phone to the Department of Immigration!

The next question I have is on obtaining Certified Copies of documents in Thailand. The Department of Immigration website says they can do this at the embassy but a. they will charge, and b. my wife's parents are upcountry so a trip to Bangkok to certify documents is not appropriate (especially if we take the 679 visa option which means they only need to visit the embassy to get the passport sticker). Can this be done by a doctor or pharmacist as it Australia? If so, does the certification statement also need to be in English? Or, do we need to get all documents translated and certified by an official agent in Thailand?

Not answering your question as there are morre qualified people than I available to do that but you say your inlaws live up country if that happens to be North East then there is an Australian Embassy recognised (for want of a better name) visa transportation service in Udon Thani and that can often save an expensive trip to Bkk.

You may check with the Australian Immigration will they accept verification of documents by a Thai Immigration office large one in Khon Kaen.

Last but not least don't rule out using the Australian Embassy in Vientcene (excuse spelling).for veification services.

Thanks mijan24, I found some extra info today on the Australian Embassy in Thailand website. Sisaket is stil a bit away from Udon Thani. I think we're going to go with the 679 Sponsored visa as it just appears to be easier for us to apply on their behalf in Sydney and also that given we can sponsor then it will be a more solid application and more likely to be granted.