Health Insurance

MrSpadMan

I am moving to Chiang Mai on November 8 from the US and want to purchase health insurance for myself (age 55) and my wife (age 33). We are short-timers leaving on April 4.

I keep reading about 'Thai Visa' insurance and have been looking for a link but haven't found it.

Apparently Gary at AA is the man. Would you feel comfortable transacting with this company?

Should I take care of this before I get there?

Thanks and remember to be nice to your fellow expats.

Scott

I am from the States and use www.imgglobal.com and it is a lot cheaper than anything I've seen advertised on any Thailand site. I have heard of some retirees getting screaming good deals from Thai BCBS--like 75 per month with zero deductible! Might need a B visa, though. Let us know, and as prices keep climbing this is one racket we can take on.

Gary is a good guy and I buy all my different insurances from him and never had a problem. But to be honest I would seriously think about doing it in your own country if you are only here for a few months.

P.s I would refrain from saying that you and your wife are short timers!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by thaimiller

Definitely check with your U.S. health insurance company to see what coverage they'd offer for you in Thailand. When we came over here for fairly short stays, we just continued to pay our U.S. health insurance which would cover emergency treatments at a variety of Chiang Mai hospitals, all listed on the health insurance company's website. Also, look into travel insurance options. If anything serious arises, you'll want to return to the U.S. and other procedures are inexpensive here.

I'm not sure what you mean by Short Timers, but some policies may have a cool down period... certain things may not be covered unless you have been a member for XX amount of weeks etc.. Obviously to avoid the situation where someone senses they are not quite right medically so then take out a policy before seeing a doctor.

My family is covered by BUPA international sourced from the UK and I have no complaints, although it is not cheap.. I have made several claims including 1 operation, hospitalisation of my 6 month old son and numerous out patient matters. I've never had any problems (apart from the Thai hospitals still trying to get money out of you when you are lying on an ER bed)

I suppose the measure of a good insurance is how well they Pay out when you actual need them.

Many people will recommend this company or that company, but may never have tried to claim anything of significance.

I am from the States and use www.imgglobal.com and it is a lot cheaper than anything I've seen advertised on any Thailand site. I have heard of some retirees getting screaming good deals from Thai BCBS--like 75 per month with zero deductible! Might need a B visa, though. Let us know, and as prices keep climbing this is one racket we can take on.

IMG is great, especially for those who still spend a significant amount of time in the US and would like worldwide coverage, but it won't work for the OP if he's only going to be in Thailand for 4 months and plans to spend the majority of his time in the US. There's a 6 month minimum out of the US for most of their policies.

Definitely check with your U.S. health insurance company to see what coverage they'd offer for you in Thailand. When we came over here for fairly short stays, we just continued to pay our U.S. health insurance which would cover emergency treatments at a variety of Chiang Mai hospitals, all listed on the health insurance company's website. Also, look into travel insurance options. If anything serious arises, you'll want to return to the U.S. and other procedures are inexpensive here.

I agree that you should check with your local US insurer. I am considering spending several months a year in Thailand and my US insurance policy states that I am covered for emergency treatment while I am "temporarily" overseas. When I called them and asked about a 6 month trip to Thailand they said I am covered. You may still want to get local insurance to be super careful, but I used my US coverage once a few years ago (in Australia, not Thailand) and they paid with no problem.

Check with your local insurer, then if you are still concerned, get something in Thailand to give you peace of mind.

Good Luck!

A post along with a few replies have been removed from view. Per forum rules:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations.

Hey Everyone

Thanks for all your assistance in the health insurance arena.

I think I've made a decision to go with Bon Voyage Travel insurance purchased through at http://aainsure.net/. The middle of the road package is costing me (age 55) and my wife (age 33) about $90 US pm.

Since I'll only be there 5 months the Bupa 6 month plan was about $135 more per month if I understood it correctly.

Besides medical coverage, there are other benefits with the Bon Voyage plan too including: loss of baggage and personal effects, baggage delay reimbursements (toothpaste!), costs associated with loss travel documents, travel delay expenses, loss of cash, etc.

If anyone has any comments or personal experience with Bon Voyage I'd appreciate it.

The other thing is, AA's agent in Pattaya has asked us to send our passports to Thailand in order to get the insurance. Not possible, sketchy. Isn't there an AA office in Chiang Mai where I could get it when I get there?

Thank you all very much

Best Regards,

Scott

Edited by MrSpadMan