Smartphone I Can Use In Thailand And The States?

lemurlemur

Hi all - does anyone know of a smartphone, hopefully an android, that I can use both in Thailand and in the United States? Has anyone had any luck using a cellphone they bought in Thailand in the States? I don't mind signing a contract in the States even (although prepaid would be best), I just don't want to buy and keep track of two separate smartphones. I've read that T-Mobile (in the US) might let me do this. Virgin Mobile definitely won't work since they use CDMA. Any advice welcome.

As long as the phone supports GSM 1900 (and nearly every model does), is unlocked, and can accept a SIM, then it would work on either/both AT&T and T-Mobile, in the U.S.A.

Both AT&T and T-Mo offer pre-paid service, I use T-Mo, however AT&T does have more/better coverage. You can check their voice and data coverage maps on their websites.

You could also get GSM data (2G/GPRS/EDGE - slower speeds ~ 150 Kbps).

If you want 3G then that is a separate and more complex issue. AT&T offers 3G on 850 Mhz in some areas and 1900 Mhz in others. So you might look for a mdoel which supports 850/1900/2100 3G. T-Mo uses 1700 and 2100 Mhz for 3G so suitable phones are hard to find, except from T-Mo, or on eBay in the U.S.

If you wanted to share more details: time spent in each country, calling/data requirements (in both countries), budget I could come up with more specific recommendations.

Thanks lomatopo. I usually spend about 10-11 months in Thailand, 1-2 months in the States. I wouldn't mind spending $50-100/month for those two months in the States if I got lots or unlimited voice/data. Any idea how I'd go about getting my phone activated for T-Mobile/AT&T service once I get to the States?

I don't really need 3G service, but of course faster is always better. I was looking at the HTC Wildfire: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_wildfire-3337.php

Any idea how I'd go about getting my phone activated for T-Mobile/AT&T service once I get to the States?

I don't really need 3G service, but of course faster is always better. I was looking at the HTC Wildfire: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_wildfire-3337.php

First check to see if either/both AT&T and T-Mo have voice coverage in the areas you plan to stay/visit.

Then buy a pre-paid SIM from either AT&T or T-Mo, once in the U.S. it can be activated (instructions available in the package or on-line; typically involves inserting the SIM and turning the phone on) and managed (money added, plans selected, etc.).

Both providers offer pre-paid per minute plans, monthly voice/data plans.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-005ZH4-0-2

That phone would work on either network for voice and GSM data. With coverage it would work on some portions of AT&T's 3G network.

You can buy pre-paid SIMs on-line (eBay: $2.50 - $5.00), or in retail outlets in the U.S.

Check out the below phone, it has the best 3G MHz coverage I have found...

Samsung i9100 Galaxy S II Smart Phone Quadband 3G UMTS (850/900/1900/2100 MHz)

This is a top end smartphone and rather pricy and bulky.

If you want to spend less, go for Nokia 500, 701, C7, N8, E7.... basically all upper class Nokias have quad band or penta band 3G.

Or get an iPhone.

I always advice to check the quality of the radio when buying a phone. Most Androids have a cheap and limited radio only for 900/2100 or 850/2100 which is not today's technology. The Galaxy S2 is one of the good exceptions, and probably more will follow in the near future.

As for service, when I go back to the U.S., I use a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM card for local calling...

One of the advantages of their prepaid plans is that once you buy a certain volume of prepaid time, they extend the validity period to 365 days (one year) from whenever you've most recently topped up... So that means my purchased time and phone number would stay alive, even if I'm away for extended periods...which seems to be the example the OP is giving.

I believe those T-Mobile prepaid plans include phone calling and EDGE data.... I've never tried to arrange 3G through T-Mobile in that kind of setup.

The T-Mobile prepaid SIMs are available for purchase over the counter from any local T-Mobile retail shop. Added calling time once you have the SIM can be purchased online from the T-Mobile website.

The issue of what kind of phones can be used in both the U.S. and Thailand is a complicated one, as discussed above, with a lot of variables depending on what 2G and 3G bands your phone supports, and what frequency bands the carriers you want to use in either country are using.

As one member mentioned above, the Nokia phones tend to have a broader range of bands, especially for 3G, than a lot of their competitors... But the OP said he was looking for an Android model if possible.

One advantage of starting with a phone purchased in Thailand is that it's pretty much always going to be unlocked, and thus can be used with any GSM in other countries... On the flip side, most phones purchased in the U.S. are done thru carrier service contracts and the phones typically arrive locked to that carrier...although they often can be unlocked after purchase.

Check out the below phone, it has the best 3G MHz coverage I have found...

Samsung i9100 Galaxy S II Smart Phone Quadband 3G UMTS (850/900/1900/2100 MHz)

This is a top end smartphone and rather pricy and bulky.

If you want to spend less, go for Nokia 500, 701, C7, N8, E7.... basically all upper class Nokias have quad band or penta band 3G.

Or get an iPhone.

I always advice to check the quality of the radio when buying a phone. Most Androids have a cheap and limited radio only for 900/2100 or 850/2100 which is not today's technology. The Galaxy S2 is one of the good exceptions, and probably more will follow in the near future.

Yep my Nokia N8 works here in Thailand (purchased here) and in the USA, also has no issues with Australia/England/Indonesia/Malaysia/Phillipines.

I don't really need 3G service, but of course faster is always better. I was looking at the HTC Wildfire: http://www.gsmarena....ldfire-3337.php

Re the Wildfire, just be aware, since it only covers the 900 and 2100 frequency bands for 3G service, while in Thailand, you'd only be able to access 3G from AIS (900 Mhz) or TOT/I-Mobile (2100 Mhz).

You wouldn't be able to access 3G on either the True or DTAC networks, since they both run on 850 Mhz for 3G.

But its quad band coverage for GSM/2G would give you access to regular calling and Edge data in both the U.S. and Thailand pretty much regardless of provider.

I was incorrect in saying that the HTC Wildfire would work on portions of the AT&T 3G network. It would not. (For some reason I though it supported 1900 Mhz 3G, on which AT&T operates 3G in some areas, but it doesn't.)

The newer version, HTC Wildfire S supports 850 Mhz 3G so would work in those areas where AT&T offers 850 Mhz 3G.

All of the penta-band-capable Nokia phones (850/900/1700/1900/2100) would work on all the AT&T and T-Mo (1700/2100, one for upload, one for download) 3G networks.

For monthly stays I would recommend one of the T-Mo ($50/$75) or AT&T ($50) monthly no-contract plans which offer unlimited talk, text and data. (Don't forget you pay for both incoming and outgoing calls.)

For shorter stays a pay as you go plan might be better? $100 gets you 1 year validity on both AT&T and T-Mo. T-Mo also offers a web day pass for $1.49 per 24 hours (first 30 Mb is 3G/4G, EDGE thereafter). AT&T allows you to layer data feature packages ($5 for 10 MB; $15 for 100 MB; $25 for 500 MB).

If all you need is voice, text and 2G then any unlocked, GSM1900-capable phone with a SIM would be fine. Pretty much any phone here priced at or above 2,500 baht is tri-band GSM (900/1800/1900) or quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) so would work on wither/both AT&T and T-Mo.

You can buy SIMs on eBay, maybe have them sent to a friend or family member? AT&T SIMs are ~ $2.50 (I have ~ 6 left) and T-Mo SIMs are ~ $5.00. You should activate these once you are in the U.S.

Edited by lomatopo