Street Smarts

dagling

Street Smarts motorcycle skills is a practical course in two-wheeled street survival. With tips and tactics from experienced street riders and expert road racers, you will learn safety techniques you can apply directly to your street riding.

This volume covers rider clothing, street strategies, night riding, braking, countersteering, and much more. Overall, it shows you how to use your head to keep out of trouble.

These volumes are a valuable resource that will help riders at any level. All are nicely produced, with excellent action footage to demonstrate every important point.

Wannabemc.com

post-84957-0-40886600-1317330371_thumb.j

Cheers to both of you, we also wish that the thai bikers will have something to learn from this video. B)

Just return back to my house after a 2 hour ride up here i Khon Kaen, and it really makes me wonder how I can come back home in one piece sometimes, most of them have no clue about using the mirrors or wait for let people go.

Overtaking also seems to be popular with the thai`s, and they don`t give a f... about if they see you come or not, flash the headlight and everything is ok... :crazy:

Overtaking also seems to be popular with the thai`s, and they don`t give a f... about if they see you come or not, flash the headlight and everything is ok... :crazy:

NEVER assume you have the right of way in Thailand. In Thailand you quickly learn that the bigger vehicle has the right of way. Neglect this rule at your own peril. :jap:

NEVER assume you have the right of way in Thailand. In Thailand you quickly learn that the bigger vehicle has the right of way. Neglect this rule at your own peril. :jap:

Wise words Tony, another reason why I like having a bit of horspower & TQ on tap, so I can get the hell out of the way from danger. And let's not forget: 'HE WHO HESITATES, IS LOST'. :D :jap:

That's one of my pet peeves about riding here, especially up in Isahn. The Hilux' and Fortuners etc overtaking so they come at you head on with their foot to the floor and flashing their lights to tell you to get into the ditch or go head first into their grille.

The term 'ignorant <deleted>' doesn't really do them justice.

feedback - too much trivia / music in these videos, and too few things I didn't know.

"don't use the rear brake to stop" and 'don't ride with the kickstand down" ... well... I'd hope you already know that if you're riding a bike...

some of the racer's advice was interesting in part II. still too much noise, too little signal. YMMV.

Edit:

For riding in Thailand I guess the most interesting things are things that you should know but wouldn't necessarily expect, having ridden in the west, like the above

- Bigger vehicle has right of way

and

- Car might come at you in your lane going around a corner

- People like to shoot out of little sois and turn left into traffic without looking.

... etc...

I am sure there's a list somewhere...

Edited by nikster

I wish there was a LIKE button for forum posts....nice one Tony

edit: I meant to add, that ' A twist of the Wrist' is well worth it. I also have a few good books that I bought from David Bull Publishing called: Sport Riding Techniques & Sportbike Suspension Tuning. And of course, I couldn't resist buying this Ducati 999 (The Publisher's Edition) :D

Edited by Garry

Really good video ! Pretty good information and made me feel right at home when I saw the “Rock Store”, which is only a few miles from my house in Woodland Hills and many roads that I patrolled for 13 years for the city before moving to a different position (Meter maid) .

Except ..... the information about braking with your front brake. That may be fine on a MotoGP course or with one of the exotic bikes in the video or with the superior experience a lot of the riders had in the video. But .... I think it is the absolute worse thing that can be done while driving a small cc bike in Thailand, in my opinion. As you’ve probably noticed 95% of the bikes here are 125cc or under and that same percentage applies to the braking systems. Front discs, rear drums and as we all know the front discs work twice as good as the rear brakes. I have always felt on the smaller bikes that the most common cause of single bike accidents is because of too much front braking when the bike is at the wrong attitude or even slightly out of position. This is especially true on wet pavement as the rear end will come around in a heartbeat when using too much front brake. One great point that I see so many riders failing at and getting into trouble was mentioned in the video. Braking or shifting when turning. After a few crashes earlier in my motorbike “career” that I was lucky enough to walk away from, I learned to brake before the turn and accelerate through the turn.

All in all, some great info, much of all was common sense that we sometimes forget over time. Except for the part about “counter steering”, I’m so confused ?^%# and too old to try it on my crummy 125. Think I’ll just continue to steer in the direction I want to go in.

post-137828-0-08048800-1317579418_thumb.