Avacado Trees

BIGJIMMY

We have 2 Avacado trees in our garden, both have been grown from a seed from a fruit and now within 18 months they are both at least 10 feet high and getting bushier, how do we trim them, just to shape them the way we want etc???? also they are both covered with large red ants, on every branch there are loads of them, will they damage them or are they ok??

Thanks

Jimmy

Most writers say that the avocado tree must be grafted with scions from a quality fruit bearing variety to get good fruit within a reasonable period (around 3 years as opposed to 10+ years). I have read that you can buy grafted avocado trees in Pak Chong, near Khorat. I, like you, have 3 avocado trees growning in my garden that I started from seeds. They are 5 years old and 16+ feet tall and no flowers or fruit. I have one avocado tree that I bought in a nursery that I believe had been grafted, but the graft had died and sprouts had begun to grow about 3 inches above ground level. No flowers or fruit on that tree either. Also, unless you are in Chjiang Mai, it may be unlikely that you will get fruit, as I believe that a season of cold nights are required for the tree to go into the flowering cycle, although I have read that some people have gotten avocado trees to flower and bear fruit in Phuket, so I have not completely lost hope. You can probably trim and shape the trees to your liking, as the impact on the tree's fruit bearing is so low as to be not a consideration. I will be curious to hear if anyone has different knowledge or experience. I am hoping to get some grafted avocado trees at some point, and replace the ones I have in my garden.

You can get trees from Kasetsart Uni, in Pak Chong ,for sure, I am in Ban Kruat( Buriram), one person is growing them commercially. They are all grafted ,and are fruiting- nice ,they are . I believe Kasetsart , sell fruit trees, many varieties around April every year. Bur I would contact them ,to find out for sure,as to when their sale is.

Located in CM. It took 12 year to get a couple fruit off of 1 of 2 trees planted from seed. Each year the fruit has increased and this year we got about 30 kilo of fruit off of the one tree. I cut the other one down last year as it showed no sign of bearing fruit. Until the tree blooms you cannot predict what you can expect.

As to the ants, Thais harvest their eggs. I believe Larb made with red ant eggs is considered a delicacy in Laos and Issan.

They also drown the ants and use them to make Som Tum Mot Dang- pound them up in the mortar.With all the other bits and pieces ,they use.

strange this because in the Philiphines there everywhere.They spray them to make them flower. The price is almost free there are that many. unlike the rest of the food that is 30-60% more expensive than Thailand. Only Food Bargins there are Avacardo, corn beef, red wine and pussy.