New To Thailand Living In The Bangkok Area

Tunermt

Hello to everyone my names Eric and i just arrived here in Thailand with my my Fiance. We are both from the US (north west) she is an English teacher and I am a business owner back in the states. We just spent the last year in Seoul south korea and are both excited to be somewhere a bit warmer even if it means i'll have to travel a lot farther for snowboarding!

We are currently staying in the Nonthaburi area, if anyone in the area would be willing to meet up and to grab a drink and or some food or even just show us around it would be great to meet some new faces.

I am also very interested in basically anything Automotive related (any type of track event, classic cars, new imports, old imports, Euro cars and American muscle, bikes hell even trucks) Looking to get involved in some out door activities as well, Wake boarding (need to make a trip to the Cable park asap) Mountain biking, long boarding, Frisbee golf aka folf and anything in water. Of course i'm more than willing to do some traveling for these types of things.

If anyone has some recommendations of things to do, places to go or people to meet please feel free to post away!

Looking forward to everyone's responses.

Welcome to Thailand. Stay off the Jetskis, Don't buy gems,drugs, suits or boat tours on the river (Take the ferry its much cheaper) avoid renting a motorbike, The Grand Palace entrance is on the side and there is no such thing as a free Tuk-tuk ride beware of touts. Always show complete respect for the King and royal family(Most important) Never point your feet at a Buddhist image try to sit lower than the monk if you talk to them. Wai instead of handshake Never touch someones head or throw money.

Shopping Weekend Market Chaduchuk, Currency exchange Siam Commercial exchange across from MBK or Superrich, ATM's use only Aeon bank (No 150baht fee). Never get angry just walk away. Food is everywhere!!! learn to shop at the local morning markets instead of grocery stores. BTS,MRT and the water taxi that runs along New Patchanburi is a great way to move around the city. Victory monument has many vans for travel in a 4 hour arc around Bkk. The main bus terminals are Mo Chit 2 and Eakima. Knock off shopping Patunam computer stuff Pantip IT plaza. If you carry a shoulder bag carry across your chest not on your shoulder. Hope that helps enjoy your stay.

Edited by BigRick

hey welcome to Thailand. a lot of your thinks best to do in the north of Thailand. offroad,climbing and so on. so at the end of this month rainy season should be over and than the fun starts. there is an offroadclub in Phrae. you can contact me through skype - ajanpeter -. heard a rumour they a building a snow hall in Cosa mui island.

Welcome to Thailand. Stay off the Jetskis, Don't buy gems,drugs, suits or boat tours on the river (Take the ferry its much cheaper) avoid renting a motorbike, The Grand Palace entrance is on the side and there is no such thing as a free Tuk-tuk ride beware of touts. Always show complete respect for the King and royal family(Most important) Never point your feet at a Buddhist image try to sit lower than the monk if you talk to them. Wai instead of handshake Never touch someones head or throw money.

Shopping Weekend Market Chaduchuk, Currency exchange Siam Commercial exchange across from MBK or Superrich, ATM's use only Aeon bank (No 150baht fee). Never get angry just walk away. Food is everywhere!!! learn to shop at the local morning markets instead of grocery stores. BTS,MRT and the water taxi that runs along New Patchanburi is a great way to move around the city. Victory monument has many vans for travel in a 4 hour arc around Bkk. The main bus terminals are Mo Chit 2 and Eakima. Knock off shopping Patunam computer stuff Pantip IT plaza. If you carry a shoulder bag carry across your chest not on your shoulder. Hope that helps enjoy your stay.

Post of the dayjap.gif

Post of the dayjap.gif

post of the month!

ATM's use only Aeon bank (No 150baht fee)-- is there an Aeon near Nana?

The closest one I know of to Nana is Siam Paragon (Siam side) basement floor 5m forward from the escalator or MBK same floor as the Skytrain entrance (2nd floor) on the right hand side about 75% down the gallery you can't miss it because it is the only one they removed the sigh off of. (Aeon color purple). I think there is also one at Big C on Rachipasod and Centra world but I do not know where they are at.

Welcome to Thailand. Stay off the Jetskis,

laugh.gif

To the OP:

For jetski and motorboat race , I am going to WaveSide which is located in Pakkred, just north of Nonthaburi city.

Do not look for a link in English because it is 99.9% Thai people who are coming with their own "toys"...

Anyway, fell free to PM if you want an introduction to the club.

For currency exchange there is a place under Nana BTS I think on Soi 5/1 that has good rates. Not really sure on the address just is under Nana BTS on the odd side and across the corner of the Soi from Subway. Has a non Thai name (Vasco ?) or something similar. Can be seen from Nana BTS.

If you want to try a cross section of foods have a look in MBK (National Stadium BTS) walk into Tokyu dept store and start on level 5 (up 3). MBK is also same same as Chatuchak, just a bit more pricey and air conditioned.

Something to be aware of if the Thai's do not know the answer i.e. directions prices etc etc unless they know you very well will give any answer, loss of face etc. They cannot generally read a map either.

Best way to get around Bangkok is BTS/MRT close to where you are going and then taxi. Tuk tuks are generally an expensive ripoff. Ensure taxi turns meter on.

Probably not a bad idea to give "indicative" age grouping for contacts.

Best of luck.

What??

Aeon charge no 150 baht fee? Is this true or you you just making it up?

You are joking right? You did not know about Aeon that seems like Thailand 101. Indeed they do not charge the Farang tax because they are a Malaysian credit bank. I have been able to find them all over Thailand. It gets a little steep paying ATM fee currency conversion fee, cross border visa mastercard fee and that 150baht charge. Learned that lesson last year Charles R Swuab no fees Aeon bank ATM no fees saves me about 1-2kbaht a month in transaction fees, that is 200 bowls at the Noodle house. :). The currency exchange you are talking about in Nana has a Red Chinese money symbol(Left side traveling from Siam) sign and their rates as just as good as Superrich(But can be dildos about paperwork and wasting time) It is why I like Siam commercial exchange go there a few times they are really nice and its in and out.

I would add for you Eric is Thai people are pretty decent once they get to know or recognize you. Some will piss you off for sure but if you don't back down and don't get upset 90%(10% for those Ahole Issen cab drivers) of the time they will facilitate. If a merchant acts like a dick just touch everything you can and walk away got to play the superstition card on them sometimes just like if a cab driver is a dick "Mai pen rai khun mai choc di mak mak khrup" Then of course leave the door open when you leave :). Speaking of doors always look before you open a car door

Learn to take a deep breath and then to smile, no matter how frustrating the situation is. You can then revisit it from another angle.

Oh, and buy some maple leaf insignia t-shirts with the I love Canada slogan.

I agree with the other posters for the most part.I do not agree on "Kissing Thai butt"!I am a "American",and as such,it just does not sit well with me.It "IS" best to walk away from most bad situations,but sometimes that is not possible..just use common sense.As others have posted,most Thai will never give you a answer if they our not 100% sure they will not lose "Face"...It gets old fast!Most Thai our very good and intend you no harm,so just be very careful of over helpful Thai who speak good English...."Trouble is coming your direction"(most of the time)!Try the "Expat Blog"...just "Google" it.I found great information on that site.It also has a lot of people who teach English & work in Thailand.Another Site"Ajarn.com" is for "English Teachers,and it also has many young outdoor types on that site.Thailand is safe & fun...Just pay attention at all times.

BIGRICK, wow what a response (definately post of the month or better). Hopefully you won't be mad if I plagorize that in emails to friends.

AEON... AKA AEON SPOT. At least 56 locations in BKK and seemingly always in a mall.

Link to ATM location lookup: http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/customsrvc/service/locationchannel.do?channelId=-8765&selectedChannels=-8568,-8765

Link to ATMs in BKK: http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/customsrvc/service/locationchannel.do?selectedcategoryId=-8682&contentTypeId=5006&channelId=-8765&selectedChannels=-8568%2C-8765&locationType=1&region=-8682&provinceId=8121&purposeId=-8766&x=40&y=30

To the OP:

For jetski and motorboat race , I am going to WaveSide which is located in Pakkred, just north of Nonthaburi city.

Do not look for a link in English because it is 99.9% Thai people who are coming with their own "toys"...

Call Waveside before heading up there, we have a lot of local flooding (Waveside is very close to our house project which is under water).

To the OP:

Call Waveside before heading up there, we have a lot of local flooding (Waveside is very close to our house project which is under water).

Yep... Sorry to hear that Crossy sad.gif

Indeed they do not charge the Farang tax because they are a Malaysian credit bank.

Actually they are a Japanese Retail company. They have subsidies in Malaysia (and other countries) but my guess is that the Aeon ATMs do not charge foreigners mostly to satisfy the many Japanese living in Thailand. Nice from them to share with the others!

They also are the ones operating Jusco and MaxValu (which have been recently springing up everywhere around bangkok, accompanied with their Aeon ATMs)

Thank you all very much for all the replies and suggestions a lot of very useful inf,o got love an ATM that doesn't charge 150 to make a withdraw!

Probably not a bad idea to give "indicative" age grouping for contacts.

I am fairly young but would like to avoid missing out on any potential contacts based on my age :) I find i get along best with anyone who attempts to make the best out of any situation and people who don't let their ego run wild all the time. Not a heavy drinker but I do enjoy a good time out with friends whether it be at a laid back bar or the occasional club. Of course anyone that shares a passion for motorsports and/or the out doors would be great to meet, always more fun to ride, board, drive, work with others than alone ;)

Thanks again everyone for your replies, looking forward to my time here in Thailand.

PS everyone feel free to message me or email any time as well. tunermt [at] hotmail.com is my personal email.

Indeed they do not charge the Farang tax because they are a Malaysian credit bank.

Actually they are a Japanese Retail company. They have subsidies in Malaysia (and other countries) but my guess is that the Aeon ATMs do not charge foreigners mostly to satisfy the many Japanese living in Thailand. Nice from them to share with the others!

They also are the ones operating Jusco and MaxValu (which have been recently springing up everywhere around bangkok, accompanied with their Aeon ATMs)

Correct: Japanese, not Malaysian.

Also, Aeon ATMs in the Bangkok area can be found in most malls where there is a Tesco Lotus.

Although the Aeon site lists numerous locations, some of the locations are no longer operating, such as the one listed in Central Pinklao.

A common occurrence in Thailand: websites are not periodically updated.

For the OP benefit: get used that TIT (This is Thailand).

Edited by pisico

plagiarize away! Anytime I can help people keep 150baht from the banks is a good day for me =), I had a link to all the ATM's but for some reason it got redirected. Japan or Malaysia still an awesome ATM service no matter what country they are based in. I have not used any other ATM but them in two years. The Thai banks can be pricks anyway most are very unhelpful and one time decided to round down on a SWIFT for my cousin cost 200baht small money but the principle was very irksome. As I mentioned before most Thai people are actually pretty nice people once you get to know them. The ones you have to avoid are the ones who are the "Too friendly stranger" You can spot those guys a mile away they where thick gold chains, have whiskey breath and tend to be from the NE of Thailand. You know the type you hop in the cab and notice how remarkable the picture on the license looks like someone from another country. I had one last week that creeped me out so much I did not even bother to complain when he went the long way kind of looked like a Thai version of Riff Raff from Rocky Horror just really gave me the bad feeling you get when you know there is going to be trouble, First mistake was not noticing his license card was turned backwards look like I saved myself a kidney.

BigRick brilliant post! Really loving it. In a week we're going to land in BKK for our honeymoon trip, any advice on where to or not to go? I really wanted to take a drive to Ayutthaya and Lop Buri but browsing through the news doesn't seem like a good idea ;) We'll be staying near Lumphini Park (Empire Place). So if anyone would want to grab a drink or meal with a Polish couple, just PM me.

Honesty I do not think there are many places I would not go in Bkk. Lumpini is a nice park it also has the National Stadium for Muey Thai(No more night market). It is located near the Silom BTS link. In that area Wat Kak( Silom road) is amazing it is a Indian Wat so very unique looking and very colorful. Wat Po, Grand Palace are a must see as well as the temple of Dawn across the river. Shopping as I mentioned before depends on the budget. If you are a high roller Sukumvit line Siam Paragon or Patunam for knock off clothing. Chaduchuk is on the weekend(Mo Chit MRT BTS) and is a days adventure in itself(Best BBQ pork section 22 soi 2). Wat Timet(one of if not the largest gold Buddha in the world) in Chinatown is also remarkable MRT Humanlompong if you got the legs for a good walk. I would suggest Wat Timet->flower market (Nothing says love like 200 roses for 20$US)->Temple of dawn->Wat Po-> Grand palace(Beware of touts wear pants and dress appropriately or expect to get some wacky clothes)-> Golden mount for sunset (Water Taxi entrance is really close can take you to Asoke MRT and back to Silom BTS Sala din). As far as Thailand goes it all depends on what you like? Chaing Mai(Old city and wat Doi Sutep, flight of the Gibon, bamboo rafting) is remarkable for its Lana history Chaing Rai for the White wat (VIP bus Sambot tours they have their own terminal and it really is VIP). Islands I would have to choose Phi Phi Don for remarkable beauty and Koh Tao Ying Yuan for diving and swimming with sharks. Koh Samed is really close to Bkk(2-3 hours Ekimai southern bus terminal or van from victory monument) If you are short on time Diamond beach is very pretty or Koh Wai on the back end of Koh Chiang for romantic privacy, Ralay is stunning with the lime stone mountains but I was not really impressed with Phuket(Expensive and taxi mafia) or Koh Lanta (Pissed off Muslims but decent people). Food in Bkk is good all the way around some of the best food I have eaten in this city is little hole in the wall mom and pop places these people have 20-30 years of making 200-500 dishes a day. Ethnic food soi 4,5,6 Sukumvit some of the best middle easternfood outside of the Middle East (I like a place called Beirut amazing food!). If you eat bugs remember to have something to wash it down with they don't taste bad they just kind of stick in your throat. If you send me a PM I will give you a link to my FB i have two years of pictures from every corner of Thailand and Cambodia.

Don't drive here unless you want to spend a lot money on paying the police for being a Farang with a car besides the daytime traffic is a complete nightmare. Ayutia is easy enough from again Victory Monument think its like 4-5$ and you rent a Tuk-tuk for the day around 600-700baht when you get there.

One last edit if you are here in November 9-11th its Loi Katong festival of lights Chaing Mai hands down best place to spend it (Just watch out for those crazy Thais and firecrackers)

Edited by BigRick

No Snow skiing here, but there is water skiing at Lake Taco

Which I heard is near Burrito falls right off chimichanga lane :lol:

Anyone here mountain bike, long board, rock climb or (this is the big one i'm VERY interested in) Wake board??? message me or post if you do as i am itching to get out there!

I find i get along best with anyone who attempts to make the best out of any situation and people who don't let their ego run wild all the time.

Then you should stay away from thaivisa, there are a LARGE number of bitter expats here who love to bash Thailand , thai culture, and thai people, but if you learn to filter that out, this place can be good. rolleyes.gif

สวัวกีครับ

Learn to speak Thai. You can get by without it but your life will be easier if you do it. You don't have to be fluent but basic Thai will keep you from looking like just another clueless farang tourist.

David

สวัวกีครับ

Learn to speak Thai. You can get by without it but your life will be easier if you do it. You don't have to be fluent but basic Thai will keep you from looking like just another clueless farang tourist.

David

SO let me get this straight. You think that tourists who come to Thailand for a two week holiday are clueless because they dont learn to speak Thai? What an odd thing to say. I would have thought that most people who can afford to fly half way round the world and stay in nice hotels are somewhat successful in their life and careers and are anything but clueless. What if tourists visit Burma, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and India on a trip. Are they supposed to be able to speak all those languages for the 2 weeks they are there? Whats wrong with looking like a tourist anyway? Have you never been on holiday?

Very odd.