State Of Tourism On Samui

well with airasia now doing flights for 88 Pound one way or 176 pound return from London to Phuket .... i think Samui is just going to lose out more and more !

having a quick look at flights over xmas and packages, everywhere is do offers, speacial flights, hotel promotions APART from Samui ... maybe this is part of the TAT plan ...

if samui is to succeed, it needs to pull its fnger out of its arse, as people will be going for the offers and promotions, and Samui will look like some ripp off destiantion to the outside world

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are used to paying high prices for our drinks here as the property prices and rents are extremely high, especially when compared to Samui. The Family Mart close to our hotel was selling cans of Tiger for B40. In a HK supermarket we pay HK$4.97 or B$19 for the same can, and there is a free delivery service if you buy enough. How can Samui justify charging over 114% Hk prices? Not exactly what you look for when on holiday.

Good constructive post Clevland. Thank you for a real view.

In Samui's defense - the price of beer here starts with high tax from the government and it is nation-wide. Not just Samui. That is something that you do not have to factor-in in HK. I do not think that the wholesale price of Tiger would be as low as 19 baht anywhere in Thailand!

That comparison between Hong Kong (a metropolis)and Chaweng Beach (a touristic beach) is laughable.

Beer prices in supermarkets? same price like everywhere in Thailand in that supermarket chain.

8 minutes from Center Chaweng? Must be a new speed record

Expensive taxis? 30 Baht per person in Chaweng by local taxis, evening 50. Airport: take the airport shuttle or even free pick up from the hotel, if 400 is too mcuh to handle

Seafood overpriced? How much is seafood at the most popular places in HKG again?

BTW: Chaweng is not Samui, it's a part of it.

• 4 months later...

Having spent a week on Samui a few weeks ago I can give my general impression of the place as a tourist from Hong Kong.

I felt it was very expensive and certainly did not offer good value for money.

That impression starts at the airport with the B400 10 minute taxi ride to the hotel in central Chareng, and ends with the totally non negotiable B400 return trip which took exactly 8 minute. The same 8 minutes, and yes we did time it exactly, in our taxi from the airport in Hong Kong to central, cost HK45 or B$183.

The smell on the main drag is something that really takes a lot of getting used to. Every day there were short rain storms, and every day the strip smelt of sewage. It was disgusting, but fine if you want to holiday in a sewage plant.

We are used to paying high prices for our drinks here as the property prices and rents are extremely high, especially when compared to Samui. The Family Mart close to our hotel was selling cans of Tiger for B40. In a HK supermarket we pay HK$4.97 or B$19 for the same can, and there is a free delivery service if you buy enough. How can Samui justify charging over 114% Hk prices? Not exactly what you look for when on holiday.

The beach in general was pretty clean, although a lot of smokers use it as an ashtray, and was quiet, no loud thumping dance music like on some beaches.. The one thing we did notice is that there were very few British accents around compared to our other holidays in Thailand. The hawkers were not too pushy, and the grilled chicken, cooked in front of you, was delicious. The sea most days looked clean, but for several days there were unpleasant patches of brown foam floating close to the shore.

Jet ski-not a problem as almost no one used them.

Drugs-plenty on offer from the beach hawkers, can't help with prices.

Seafood resteraunts on the main Chareng drag-hugely overpriced, far better staying in Sai Kung or Lamma if you want fresh seafood,and since we never saw the resteraunts busy would question the freshness. Good thai food was to be had if you venture into the side streets, or move further down the strip to places like Ninja.

I don't know if we were too early but we visited Green Mango complex three times around midnight, and found it almost empty. Most of the bars on the two side roads leading to the GM were deserted.

We did not have as bad a time as this post may sugest, but we didn't leave dieing to come back.

By comparison we have just had a long weekend in Phonm Penh, beautiful hotel,great bars like the FCC with US$1 beers,delicious food and US$10 taxi for a half day with really helpful and nice drivers. We can't wait to go back, but want to explore the new resorts in Vietnam first.

Samui, in my view, and I am sure many will disagree, is simply no longer competitive in the tourist market from Asia.

First time I saw this post. Excellent is all I can say.

That comparison between Hong Kong (a metropolis)and Chaweng Beach (a touristic beach) is laughable.

Beer prices in supermarkets? same price like everywhere in Thailand in that supermarket chain.

8 minutes from Center Chaweng? Must be a new speed record

Expensive taxis? 30 Baht per person in Chaweng by local taxis, evening 50. Airport: take the airport shuttle or even free pick up from the hotel, if 400 is too mcuh to handle

Seafood overpriced? How much is seafood at the most popular places in HKG again?

BTW: Chaweng is not Samui, it's a part of it.

You are chewing your own ears here Birdman. The poster is giving a tourists view...not one of a resident.

yeah, that kind, knowing the exact beer prices to the 2nd decimal place at supermarkets all over the world, complaining about everything everywhere because places are not that incredible cheap, almost free, as foolishly expected. Preferring Phnom Phen, a city, to Chaweng Beach, because beer is cheaper there...says it all.

• Like 2

The same 8 minutes.......... in our taxi from the airport in Hong Kong to central, cost HK45 or B$183.

HK$45 doesn't even cover the toll road and bridge charges. From the airport to Central costs in the region of HK$300. If the ~30km trip took Cleveland eight minutes, the average speed of that taxi was ~200kph. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The same 8 minutes.......... in our taxi from the airport in Hong Kong to central, cost HK45 or B$183.

HK$45 doesn't even cover the toll road and bridge charges. From the airport to Central costs in the region of HK$300. If the ~30km trip took Cleveland eight minutes, the average speed of that taxi was ~200kph. rolleyes.gif

A guy comes here on holiday. Admits he reasonably enjoyed his holiday however he probably won't come back. Fair enough. However he obviously has way too much time on his hands and as birdman says is drawing ridiculous comparisons between an island and a city! Little credibility in his post for me and if chantra is to be believed as i think ihe is, cleveland has an agenda. why would he be so economical with the truth regarding HK taxi fares just to make samui look bad?

Actually i've just read it again and i definately think theres an agenda in his post. cool.png

the style of tourists have changed.

No mor epack backers here now.

people that stay for short time go straight to the big hotels.

there are allot of expats like myself who never leave. The price of renting bugalows is not too bad.

sometimes it is cheaper to come here for a month than for 2 weeks.

you can rent a descent bungalow for 10 - 25 k. Some have private pools.

where as at the big hotels u r looking around 6000 baht per night.

But there are allot of people staying in these hotels and alllot of business outside them built on these hotels

I think Samui will have trouble re-positioning itself.

Do people who pay nearly £200 a night staying in The Library on Chaweng beach want the same things as those staying in P&P or The Ark Bar?

Will Samui offer the level of service and value that these people require?

You can't be all things to all men wai.gif

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

I'm always changing my mind on Samui. It may well be over commercial in some areas but that is what some familes want and need. Having several hospitals can give peace of mind if their children get hurt.. having such a variety of food choices is good for kids who sometimes are reluctant to try local food, and for the adults the price range of restaurants suits all budgets.. the vast array of hotels also suits any family budget.. there is just about enough for the kids to do on a two week jaunt and other nearby islands to look at if they want to venture a bit further. Most hotels offer their own taxi service which is open to negotiation on price especially if used a lot, some hotels offer a free service. Outside the commercial towns there are lovely quiet parts of the island though these are becoming harder to find over the years. For every negative there are at least 2 positives so for me its still worth a visit though I tend to stay for less time, preferring other quieter islands which are a bit more difficult to get too but worth it in the end for the total lack of ammenities and natural beauty but again they aren't everybodys idea of perfect.

Do people who pay nearly £200 a night staying in The Library on Chaweng beach want the same things as those staying in P&P or The Ark Bar?

RAZZ

there are rooms for 1.000 Euro/night on Chaweng. So, how can the Ark Bar scene influence the upper class resort customers on Chaweng? Not at all. Most are open minded, aware of the surrounding, many even enjoying simple market food or simple bamboo restaurants as well as gourmet restaurants....and some of them can be found at...the Ark Bar. If they wanted to be secluded, they would stay at one of the many other luxury resorts on this island or on KPG....they are not stupid and know the scenario....

Can remember ladies walking with cocktail dresses and high heels from Amari on muddy Chaweng Road 15 years ago. Times are changing. Chaweng has an other face lift just right now......

RAZZ

i Think that the fact that people stay in both these places speask for itself. You think that people that stay in 1 million pound home back in the UK won't venture into town because there are cheaper houses there and people with less mney drinking in the local pubs.

anyway that is what thailand is all about, tolerence. i personally can't stand some of the people here but for some reason i tollerat them. not same back home.

part of the culture.

I think you're missing my point...It's about successfully differentiating between markets...

People paying mega-bucks for a "tropical paradise"™ don't want to be surrounded by tourist tat, bargirls and "freelancers"...

I don't think Chaweng for example can successfully cater to them at the same time as the back-backer/party crowd...Do you?

My personal opinion is that they can't really co-exist...I can't think of a place anywhere in the world that I've been to that does?

Just a few of examples - In Spain, Marbella and Fuengirola and Torremolinos... Ibiza has San Antonia and Ibiza town. Majorca has Magaluf and Palma. Greece has Mykonos, Skiathos and then Ios and Corfu (although some very expensive places in Corfu). Bali has Kuta and Seminyak...etc etc etc

In Phuket you may have somewhere like Kata or Surin and then Patong.

Samui and especially Chaweng seems to be "all over the place" in terms of what it wants to be... blink.png

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

BigC:

...people that stay for short time go straight to the big hotels.

Nice double entendre there, big guy....

Things are slowing down now, but I have noticed that just down the same road from the wet market in Lamai some poor fool(s) have apparently bought the bar/restaurant/whateveritis just off the beach road and are putting in a solid, expensive-looking steel awning. Maybe it's the same owner(s) throwing good money after bad (but there is a new sign), but if I am right, and the prevailing scenario is playing out (...Buy a failing bar that you saw for sale when you were here in high season figuring that during the lows, there would be enough to make a go of it, but it turns out that most of the time it's low season and you are not making any money so the next high season you flog the place when there are the most people in it there will be all year....cycle, cycle, cycle), then I feel both sorrow and loathing for these new owners. Pity because they will lose money and have grief, contempt because they are so profoundly ignorant to the point of being retarded for their lack of even the most basic fundamentals of business and investment.

Having said that, this place gets my vote for the next Samui, KP, KT Thaivisa party. Support the IQ-challenged!

I think you're missing my point...It's about successfully differentiating between markets...

People paying mega-bucks for a "tropical paradise"™ don't want to be surrounded by tourist tat, bargirls and "freelancers"...

I don't think Chaweng for example can successfully cater to them at the same time as the back-backer/party crowd...Do you?

My personal opinion is that they can't really co-exist...I can't think of a place anywhere in the world that I've been to that does?

Just a few of examples - In Spain, Marbella and Fuengirola and Torremolinos... Ibiza has San Antonia and Ibiza town. Majorca has Magaluf and Palma. Greece has Mykonos, Skiathos and then Ios and Corfu (although some very expensive places in Corfu). Bali has Kuta and Seminyak...etc etc etc

In Phuket you may have somewhere like Kata or Surin and then Patong.

Samui and especially Chaweng seems to be "all over the place" in terms of what it wants to be... blink.png

RAZZ

The Libraury is some what further down the beach from the ARK bar.

As for people not wishing to be around free lancers and what not. do not under estimiate people.

There are places in Phuket very close to Bangla road that rent rooms for 250 to 300 pounds per night and even advirtise how close they are to the famous bangla road.

There are other places than chaweng. such as 4 seasons. all the hotels in Manam such as Bandara

a few in Hua Thanonon.

Samui is not just chaweng. plus inside the hotel complex people are quite cut off from the surrounds outside the hotel. also thee expensive hotels have been hear for years.

I think that it should not be a problem.. you can tell for the pictures of th3e libruary what sort of a place it is.

There is plenty of samui where they have nice tropical beaches but for some people that want to be in the thick of the chaweng scene but want to spend more than 1000 baht a night then there is obviously a market for it.

For example if i wanted to come out hear and party but i have a bit more money than when i was a back packer as you call them. then i might fancy a bit of luxury but be close ti the scene.

The Library is what, 150m from The Ark Bar and maybe 50m from P&P? whistling.gif

I appreciate Samui is not just Chaweng, but it is the island's main resort. If "the powers that be" want to charge top dollar for flights, hotels etc then the ambiance and facilities must be right. People will come once, but will they return?

I've been to Samui maybe 10 times but haven't been in the last 2 or 3 years...other places that I wanted to see that have offered better value for money...which is the key wai.gif

RAZZ

P.S. The types you are referring to are "flash packers" wink.png

Edited by RAZZELL

i came to Samui for a week recently after 3 nights i left, could not accept the prices and the grumpy some time's agressive service, not to me but to other travellers, one example in burger king a guy wanted a cheese burger, not have, he replied how can you not have cheese burger. Straight away raised voice get out we call police get you. then when he went bragging about how they tell farang go or call the police. soi reggae was 100 baht a beer, breakfast 120 for a small and upward of 200 for decent one. pictures demonstrate why people go else where.beer price is prity much standard and the beach is just ourside pattaya, note no development or chairs on the beach.

The girlie bars have gone off main road through Chaweng but the road in and the road around the lake there are dozens of seedy massage places. the roads were worse than ever. ice bar, sound bar,q bar,boxing etc all had slow pick ups blaring out loud music all night.

i was on a tour of Pattaya, Phuket and Samui. As a tourist i could not wait to get out.

the one way road at the end was worse than i ever saw, and the dredging of the lake was simply stacking the silt around the edge of the lake, so when it rains it will run back into the lake.

High end holiday makers will stay in high end resorts.

the brekkie was 120 baht. beer prices well you can see.

post-140396-0-48585300-1333082632_thumb.

post-140396-0-32310900-1333082660_thumb.

post-140396-0-54443500-1333082673_thumb.

i came to Samui for a week recently after 3 nights i left, could not accept the prices and the grumpy some time's agressive service, not to me but to other travellers, one example in burger king a guy wanted a cheese burger, not have, he replied how can you not have cheese burger. Straight away raised voice get out we call police get you. then when he went bragging about how they tell farang go or call the police. soi reggae was 100 baht a beer, breakfast 120 for a small and upward of 200 for decent one. pictures demonstrate why people go else where.beer price is prity much standard and the beach is just ourside pattaya, note no development or chairs on the beach.

The girlie bars have gone off main road through Chaweng but the road in and the road around the lake there are dozens of seedy massage places. the roads were worse than ever. ice bar, sound bar,q bar,boxing etc all had slow pick ups blaring out loud music all night.

i was on a tour of Pattaya, Phuket and Samui. As a tourist i could not wait to get out.

the one way road at the end was worse than i ever saw, and the dredging of the lake was simply stacking the silt around the edge of the lake, so when it rains it will run back into the lake.

Your opinion of the whole island is based on a circular street in one specific area.

Not sure about your comment on the roads being worse than ever because most of them have just had tarmac laid on them (in the area you are talking about).

You should have taken a ride down to the Virgin Coast and enjoyed a beach to yourself, a cheap beer with great Thai food and complimentary smile, while watching one of the finest sunsets on earth.

Unfortunately, there is an often-incurred belligerence from wait-staff in restaurants and shops. It's just part of the general lack of understanding here what customer service actually means.

I feel your pain when it comes to breakfasts here. I am not sure what that black, round object is on the plate, but I suspect it is some sort of "farang food." Eggs are one of the easiest things to cook, yet I have fingers left on one hand counting the number of places I've been to that actually don't massacre eggs. The Thai (and Asian) style of cooking an egg involves lots of oil and super high temperatures, resulting in a tough crust nearly impervious to cutlery.

Some restaurants think that putting some beans and a slice or two of tomato or onion or potato on the plate makes it somehow "worth more." "Sausage" nearly always means small hot dog-like processed meat things and ham is generally something from 7-Eleven (although this photos looks like some other material was involved). Anything that is cooked in butter, like omelets here, are often too salty and the butter used here (they always use the cheapest crap they can) has a disgusting sweet lard taste. It permeates the food with that familiar, "disgusting sweet lard" flavor. They use it at the all-you-can-eat places too. You know what I mean.

No one offers any other kind of bread besides white bread, presumably also from 7-Eleven.

By the way, as an American, I cannot recall every seeing a breakfast meal in the States (unless it was huevos rancheros) that included a dollip of baked beans.

...the road around the lake there are dozens of seedy massage places

Yes, but you'll miss them when they are all torn down and replaced by Reggae Pub Villas.

I am not sure if you are complaining about the price of beer or not. Beer here is pretty cheap and you don't have to tip the bartender.

... the dredging of the lake was simply stacking the silt around the edge of the lake, so when it rains it will run back into the lake

I too am baffled as to what the point is there. I also wonder about the effort made to construct that large concrete area at the south end. They put in that nice frontage along the lake road and then did not put plants/trees in the planters, did not construct any shade or otherwise make the area user-friendly. "Let's start to make the lakefront a place people might frequent, but hang on, let's not finish that since we have another idea for a concrete mini soccer field, or a tennis court or something...oh wait, I have a better idea..."

• Like 1

It seems to me that we are comparing oranges, apples and lemons. (Yes - Pattaya is the lemon. It's a town and not an island.)

Surely this is the same as saying "I went to Blackpool for a week and England is crapp as a holiday destination!" (Yes - I exaggerate to make the point.) I too stayed in Chewang once -12 years ago, and I vowed never to stay there again! I built a house instead.

A few dodgy areas in Chewang are not what Samui is about. There is very good (cheap if you want it) food out there licklips.gif . Beer as well. A 3/4 star resort near where I live sells small singha at 55 baht a bottle! Another one charges 120 baht. Guess which one I would use. drunk.gif

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience here on the island, but please do not judge it by the few places that you seem to have visited. You have travelled outside of Pattaya (Jomtien) but you seem not to have travelled outside of Chewang! (Absolutely ZERO pick ups blaring out ANY noise where I live.) By the way, most beaches on Samui are clean, wide and also have no development or chairs! wink.png

I cannot really comment on comparing Phuket, but friends who live/stay there tell me that the roads are better, the traffic is a much worse and it is more expensive than Samui.wai.gif

• Like 2

............I am not sure what that black, round object is on the plate, but I suspect it is some sort of "farang food."........

as far as I understood it was an example of an exemplary breakfast somewhere else.

And so is that beach without palm trees and full with kayaks and beach chairs