Worried About Centipedes

ive got a pic of the centipede and some of a bangkok ( golden mount area ) about 6 foot moniter lizard

but with all these bangkok people living there no one has posted any pics of them ... strange !

as i was only there a week and got these from just to the right of this bridge

dave2

post-42592-0-07748200-1318557804_thumb.j

post-42592-0-75741100-1318557844_thumb.j

post-42592-0-53688900-1318557847_thumb.j

post-42592-0-02654300-1318557866_thumb.j

post-42592-0-00343300-1318557871_thumb.j

post-42592-0-67065000-1318557874_thumb.j

post-42592-0-12509500-1318558126_thumb.j

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it sad when people kill wildlife wantonly with little or no reason. Our local natives in Canada spear salmon just for the sport of it and toss the dead carcass into the bushes to rot.

I'll try to post qualtrough's picture... nope, didn't work.

hiap.jpg

Know what you mean. I will never understand why some people derive pleasure from killing animals.

If there is a surplus of a managed game herd then I don't have a problem with people killing things to eat. But I hate waste of anything, and especially species that are in a balance with nature. If you are going to kill something then at least eat it. The same goes with over harvesting trees and native plants. I abhor the system of capturing tropical fish for sale. More die than actually reach the market. The same goes for song birds put in cages.

I find it sad when people kill wildlife wantonly with little or no reason. Our local natives in Canada spear salmon just for the sport of it and toss the dead carcass into the bushes to rot.

hiap.jpg

Know what you mean. I will never understand why some people derive pleasure from killing animals.

If there is a surplus of a managed game herd then I don't have a problem with people killing things to eat. But I hate waste of anything, and especially species that are in a balance with nature. If you are going to kill something then at least eat it. The same goes with over harvesting trees and native plants. I abhor the system of capturing tropical fish for sale. More die than actually reach the market. The same goes for song birds put in cages.

Yes, but that's not the point I made. How can anyone derive pleasure from killing animals???

Those who are desperate for food - I can understand that they would kill from need. But not killing for the 'fun' of it.

Yes, but that's not the point I made. How can anyone derive pleasure from killing animals???

Those who are desperate for food - I can understand that they would kill from need. But not killing for the 'fun' of it.

I understand what you are saying, but you are a women. What do you think wars are all about? It's for men who like killing things where humans are the ultimate prey.

But hey, I was a killer at one time and hunted both for sport and meat. But you probably already knew that about me. I don't hunt anymore because I no longer need the meat and it's too much effort for what little I use in my cooking. I"m more happy with a camera today.

Ian_packiing_ram_1.jpg

Moose.jpg

But we have our creepy crawlies in Canada as well.

rattler2.jpg

I had a whole family of these Black widow spiders living under my home. I left them alone and they left me alone. I was just extra careful when crawling under my house to do some plumbing.

black_widow_spider.jpg

hiap.jpg

I don't consider a centipede to be an animal that I would worry about killing.

From my perspective, I am helping evolution. By releasing those things back into the wild, you allow centipede genes that are not afraid of entering structures to propagate. If everyone killed every centipede that entered their homes for the next million years, then at some point we should see centipedes that run away from anyone's home. I whack those things with a hammer whenever I see them. I'm doing the work of Darwin...

I don't consider a centipede to be an animal that I would worry about killing.

From my perspective, I am helping evolution. By releasing those things back into the wild, you allow centipede genes that are not afraid of entering structures to propagate. If everyone killed every centipede that entered their homes for the next million years, then at some point we should see centipedes that run away from anyone's home. I whack those things with a hammer whenever I see them. I'm doing the work of Darwin...

Ah, so that was YOU I saw running down the road whacking the pavement with a hammer. I thought it was another thaivisa member off his medication. :lol:

I think F1fanatic was talking about the killing of monitor lizards. We kind of got off the track a bit and I'm as much at fault as anyone.... maybe more.:whistling:

hiap.jpg

I remember seeing a tv wildlife program some time ago where the shortage of salmon (or was it the bears?) resulted in fewer fish carcasses being left to rot in the forest.

Apparently some trees rely on them for fertiliser. Part of the natural cycle.

Just found this:

Reimchen estimates that 70 per cent of a bear’s annual protein comes from salmon, and that during the 45 days of the spawn each black bear catches about 700 fish and leaves half of each carcass in the forest. At 2.2kg per fish, this amounts to 120kg of nitrogen fertiliser per hectare of land. British Columbia’s 80,000 to 120,000 bears could be transferring 60 million kg of salmon tissue into the rainforest, accounting for half of the nitrogen fixed by some old-growth trees.

Here:

bears fish in the woods

Edited by Old Croc

Earlier this year this water monitor lived for several weeks on a wall just outside our back door in suburban Patong:

post-18822-0-72191500-1318589785_thumb.j

It ignored us even when we were hanging out washing underneath its lair. It only left when it got sick of the GF trying to feed it.

Thanks to Dave2 and Ol Croc for the pictures. They are fascinating creatures, but not ones I would want walking through my living room.

This big male iguana was a fairly placid critter that obviously had adapted to people. It was free to go wherever it wanted including back into the river, but hung around because people probably fed it.

Iguana_1.jpg

He had a fascinating face with independently moving eyes. One eye looking in one direction and the other eye looking elsewhere. I'm not sure if all lizard can do the same thing.

Igana_3.jpg

re ... The monitor wasn't fully grown, about 2 1/2 - 3' long.

thanks for that ... still a stunning picture .... makes mine look like phone camera pics : (

i dont know why but quite a few people in chiang mai keep lizards as pets : (

heres an 18 inch one

dave2

post-42592-0-45624300-1318728666_thumb.j