Kick Start My Nouvo

JusMe

I'm heading "home" in just a short time and looking forward to it. Spent my summer in North America, but getting out of the cold and coming back to LOS.

I know my Nouvo Elegance is sitting waiting for me, but after several months of not being started and run, I also know the battery will be totally flat and it won't start just by using the key and button.

So, I'll have to kick start it. Never done this before. Up on centre stand, brake on, turn ignition key to on, and then ....

Advice? Should I slowly push the kick starter a few times before putting some effort into it? How about twisting the accelerator handle once or twice, or just let the pump do its work?

Once I've got it started, I'll see about running it for a while and running up the highway to recharge that battery. How long, and for what distance would be appropriate to ensure a simple start next time?

Recommendations and advice welcome.

While I have your attention, I know that my registration and insurance expired at the end of September, so I'll have to run for a few days without until I can get to the office to renew them. Hope I don't have any trouble with the BIB. Anyone know of a way of changing that rego date, as the same thing will occur over the next several years - I bought and registered the bike originally in September, but will regularly be returning in October, after the original rego date has expired.

I would get something like this before you leave and give the battery a proper slow charge before you ride. And next time you leave it sitting for a long time, you can just leave it connected to the bike so the battery won't be dead when you return.

These models run on 240v so you won't need a converter.

http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/battery-tender-international-usa-western-hemisphere.html

http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/waterproof-800-usa-western-hemisphere.html

If you have a car as well, I would get the first one. I use it on both my car and bike and it works fine.

brake on not needed. only when electric starting

running non stop 30-40 minutes should charge your battery fully, but it will never be 100% again if its been flat. sulfated, and each time worse until totally dead

or a ctec trickle charger, and your battery lives much longer in addition to beeing able to start your bike

Thanks for the beginning instructions.

I've looked about on the web, and it seems there are no Deltran products available in Canada, although I can take the specifications from their chargers and see about what other brands similar might be available here.

I think I noticed Ctec available at Canadian Tire, but haven't managed to find something matching the specs of that first link teflonjon posted. I'll keep looking. Got just under three weeks to search.

The charger is the best idea, and just leaving it overnight when I get back would mean an easier start. At least we've begun the info if I do need to kickstart. And it seems I don't need several hours out on the highway risking a pullover for expired rego in order to get it up and running.

I'll keep looking, and post results. But don't let this stop the flow of advice - I really do need all I can get blink.gif

Quick look seems that the amp output is slightly different from the Deltran. Would a 2 amp output be so different? Good or bad? Screw up all? See, I said I know nossing!

How about this one?

(not sure if the posted link worked - if not: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/Batteries/BatteryChargers/PRDOVR~0111506P/Motomaster+Eliminator+Intelligent+Battery+Charger%2C+2A.jsp?locale=en)

Edited by JusMe

I would get something like this before you leave and give the battery a proper slow charge before you ride. And next time you leave it sitting for a long time, you can just leave it connected to the bike so the battery won't be dead when you return.

These models run on 240v so you won't need a converter.

http://batterytender...hemisphere.html

http://batterytender...hemisphere.html

If you have a car as well, I would get the first one. I use it on both my car and bike and it works fine.

Are you aware of the cost of a battery for a Nouvo ? US$ 70 for a charger, you must be joking. OP just leave the battery to a mc shop and they will charge the battery for you. It will cost you 10-20 Baht. :)

Edited by Semper

Are you aware of the cost of a battery for a Nouvo ? US$ 70 for a charger, you must be joking. OP just leave the battery to a mc shop and they will charge the battery for you. It will cost you 10-20 Baht. :)

Yes, quite good. Except for the fact that I'm living well out of town and need my bike as transport to get to a simple basic mc shop. I could leave the battery with them, perhaps for five or six months, but I'll try to organize the self sufficient method, even if the cost is much greater.

The same problem exists for taking it to a mechanic to flush the fuel system. I'd have to get it started and ride it in order to get it to that mechanic.

I notice there are a number of different batteries listed here, but again, being such a klutz mechanically, I'm beyond lost as if I was looking at all the information for different file formats on a computer!

Would one of those 0.75 amp units work for me? What about different battery types - safe, or would I come home to a pool of smouldering plastic?

Edited by JusMe

Okay, some more research on chargers that I could order and get delivered to me before I need to pack my bag.

However, as I said I'm such a klutz, I don't know anything about the specifications and whether or not these items would be appropriate for my Nouvo.

Battery Tender Waterproof 800mA 12 volt

Product Description

This compact 12 volt 800 mA battery charger has all the charge characteristics of its cousin the Battery Tender Junior. Perfect for all outdoor types of ATV's, watercraft, motorcycles, boats, or anywhere water is a threat. Includes important features such as Spark Proof Hook Up, Reverse Polarity and Short Circuit Protection, 2 color LED Charger Indicator, universal input voltage 100-240 AC Volts 50/60 Hz and topped off with a 3 Year Warranty.

The charger is no larger than a standard computer mouse yet packs 800 milliamps of pure constant current charging power. Coupled with a brain (IC chip), the charger will constantly monitor, charge, and then maintain your battery without the threat of overcharging. #WP800 022-0150

Each Battery Tender ships with one each quick disconnect ring set and alligator clips.

Technical Specifications

Length 4.2

Width 2.75

Height 1.4

Weight 1.2

Shipping Weight (lb.) 2.0

DC Output Amps 800 mA

Absorption Voltage 14.4 V

AC Input Volts 100–240 VAC

AC Input Volts Freq. 50/60 Hz

Float Voltage 13.2 V

Working Temperature -20 ° to 50 °C

Output Banks 1

Regulatory Approval CE

Manufacturer: Deltran

Full Info Page

Edited by JusMe

"Advice? Should I slowly push the kick starter a few times before putting some effort into it? How about twisting the accelerator handle once or twice, or just let the pump do its work?"

I left my Nouvo for a long time and the battery was dead. Just kept kick starting without using the accelerator until it started. It stopped a few times and each time kick started it again until it was warm enough so I could use the accelerator to rev it a bit.

I eventually got a new battery. Can't remember how much - about 700 baht.

I now charge it if it is flat (I don't use the bike much). Which reminds me, I should give it a warm up tomorrow as I haven't used it for a couple of months.

That's the one I ordered - Battery Tender Waterproof 800mA 12 volt - and it should arrive within a week, so lots of time to get it into my bag.

Once I get that connected, I should be able to just start up the next morning by turning the key and pushing the button. Here's hoping.

Now, on to the other issue I raised. Anyone know if I can change the registration date for my bike, as I plan on this kind of timetable every year, and I'll always be stuck with running about for a few days with it expired, risking a run-in with the BIB, and of course, having an annual fine for registering late.

That's the one I ordered - Battery Tender Waterproof 800mA 12 volt - and it should arrive within a week, so lots of time to get it into my bag.

Once I get that connected, I should be able to just start up the next morning by turning the key and pushing the button. Here's hoping.

Now, on to the other issue I raised. Anyone know if I can change the registration date for my bike, as I plan on this kind of timetable every year, and I'll always be stuck with running about for a few days with it expired, risking a run-in with the BIB, and of course, having an annual fine for registering late.

800mA at 14,4V bike battery should be fully charged in 10 hours, and this charger will let you know when its done

as for annual tax/insurance, Insurance can be done any time, but tax only within a time frame, 3 months prior to due as I recall. No major issue, police fine 2-300 baht

as for annual tax/insurance, Insurance can be done any time, but tax only within a time frame, 3 months prior to due as I recall. No major issue, police fine 2-300 baht

Not really worried about it, but the problem is that my insurance and rego expire in September, and I don't arrive back after being away for the summer until October, which means I'll run about for a few days with both expired until I can get to the Land Transportation Department.

The fine isn't a great worry, but as I can't do the re-registration and re-insurance while I'm away, I'll constantly be a month late.

Just wondering if there was a way of changing it from September to October so I don't have this as a continuing problem.

800mA at 14,4V bike battery should be fully charged in 10 hours, and this charger will let you know when its done

Tax renewal can be done 1 month ahead of due date,insurance can be done automatically if you obtain it through an insurance agent.

Since a few years it is required that government insurance and tax registration date run simultaneously .

Edit to add : you should always heve a third party insurance in Thailand,which you will need to obtain through a insurrance broker of your choice.If you take a vested business I'm sure you can get it arranged for a small fee that they renew your registration tax for you while you're abroad.

Edited by janverbeem

Just put it on the stand, twist the throttle a little bit to get some gas in there and then leave the throttle alone and start kicking. It won't do anything for about 10-15 kicks, then the first couple of times it starts it will splutter and quickly die off. Keep kicking and after about 5 minutes you'll get it running (rough) and then you need to let it warm up for 5 mins and ride it (as hard as possible) for 30 minutes. Then fill up with benzine and it will be fine - except the battery will be weaker than before. I know because I have a 06 Nouvo MX that I regularly leave unridden for months at a time. It's the same story every time I go back to it.

I don't get all this talk of draining fuel and using trickle chargers on a little scooter with a kick start. Just kick it hard for 5 minutes. The kick start is in a stupid place on the Nouvo so I always stand at the back left corner of the bike and kick with my right foot for maximum leverage. Show no mercy smile.gif

It won't start no matter how well the battery is charged.

The carb will have dried out.

About 30-50 kicks on the center stand will usually get them going.

It takes that many kicks for the petrol to work its way back through the system.

been through all this during 8 years and a number of Nouvos, MK1 manual choke, MX 115 auto choke, elegance135 auto choke, not to mention the mios.

fully charged battery

center stand (as used during storage to avoid squared tyres). Run starter 20 seconds, kick 20 seconds, starter 20 seconds, kick 20 seconds, starter 20 seconds. never touch throttle. leave it idling for a minute and good to go

thank heaven for pcx injection :D

Same scenario but with a fuel injected bike, what use is the kick starter if there is no battery power for the electric fuel pump ?

hehehe, no point in trying to kick a fuelinjected bike with no battery power.

thus no kick starter on pcx

As I thought.

The OP mentions a pump, I thought non injected bikes gravity fed fuel to the carby ?

Same scenario but with a fuel injected bike, what use is the kick starter if there is no battery power for the electric fuel pump ?

hehehe, no point in trying to kick a fuelinjected bike with no battery power.

thus no kick starter on pcx

As I thought.

The OP mentions a pump, I thought non injected bikes gravity fed fuel to the carby ?

I havent picked any mopeds apart since I was 17, but I dont trust the theory of dryed out fuel line/carb as cause for not starting, as I believe they are gravity fed

thing is all yammy mopeds are very hard to start, even after just 3 days and full battery. I still have one 2011 elegance used as beach limo, and due to rain and high tide I havent used it for 10 days. it will be kicking and screaming before it will take us to the beach

post-81971-0-04311600-1318073372_thumb.j

so thanks heaven for pcx :D

• 10 years later...
On 10/6/2011 at 7:33 PM, Spoonman said:

After sitting for months I would not attempt to start it and instead take it to a moto mechanic and have him flush the fuel system whilst he charges the battery.

Totally unnecessary to flush fuel system…start by whatever means you need and then put in some fuel conditioner and ride for an hour!

Takes years for modern fuels to gum up fuel system!!

next time out fuel conditioner in when you leave it and maybe take the battery out

7 hours ago, Kanada said:

Totally unnecessary to flush fuel system…start by whatever means you need and then put in some fuel conditioner and ride for an hour!

Takes years for modern fuels to gum up fuel system!!

next time out fuel conditioner in when you leave it and maybe take the battery out

... 10 years later ...

• Sad 1