Occupy As A Means To Financial Reform

The Occupy movement out of the parks and into ______________????

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-occupy-wall-street-will-keep-up-the-fight/2011/11/17/gIQAn5RJZN_story.html

Occupy was born because we the people feel that our country and our economy are moving precipitously in the wrong direction; that America has evolved into a kind of corporate oligarchic state, a “corporatocracy”; and yes, that what is needed is a regime change — a Tahrir moment of truth in America.

We will regroup, lick our wounds, brainstorm and network all winter. We will build momentum for a full-spectrum counterattack when the crocuses bloom next spring.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A prophet of the future Occupy movement, unabashedly biased LEFT-PROGRESSIVE American Bill Moyers, speaking in 2010:

“Plutocracy and Democracy Don’t Mix”

So, we need a lot more ag­i­ta­tion. And that’s the only thing that suc­ceeds from a pro­gres­sive side in chang­ing pol­i­tics in Amer­ica.

Edited by Jingthing

So we've had people being arrested in America for dancing at the Lincoln Memorial, arrested for handing out free food to the homeless out in the open in the park in Florida and journalists arrested simply for taking photographs of the police.

Meanwhile Jon Stevens Corzine the former CEO of Goldman Sachs and of MF Global, and a one time American politician, misappropriates hundreds of millions of dollars and is then found to have been in business without a valid (and required) securities license. Why isn't he in handcuffs?

Isn't this a perfect example that the rule of law has totally broken down in USA?

So we've had people being arrested in America for dancing at the Lincoln Memorial, arrested for handing out free food to the homeless out in the open in the park in Florida and journalists arrested simply for taking photographs of the police.

Meanwhile Jon Stevens Corzine the former CEO of Goldman Sachs and of MF Global, and a one time American politician, misappropriates hundreds of millions of dollars and is then found to have been in business without a valid (and required) securities license. Why isn't he in handcuffs?

Isn't this a perfect example that the rule of law has totally broken down in USA?

Well, let's see. The dancing at the Lincoln Memorial was against the law, and the protesters knew that and did it anyway.

http://www.huffingto...s_n_868719.html

Oberwetter sued on free speech grounds, but the appeals court ruled last week that her conduct was indeed prohibited "because it stands out as a type of performance, creating its own center of attention and distracting from the atmosphere of solemn commemoration" that Park Service regulations are designed to preserve.

Whereas Oberwetter and her friends visited the Jefferson near midnight, Saturday's protest was staged during the day, on Memorial Day weekend, in order to draw maximum attention. The organizers issued a public call for photographers and videographers to document the event, and the inevitable arrests (watch below).

Handing out free food to the homeless was done against the law, and knowing they would be arrested. I don't say it's OK, but if you break the law, you should get arrested:

http://www.huffingto...s_n_874840.html

Over the past week, twelve members of food activist group Food Not Bombs have been arrested in Orlando for giving free food to groups of homeless people in a downtown park. They were acting in defiance of a controversial city ordinance that mandates permits for groups distributing food to large groups in parks within two miles of City Hall. Each group is allowed only two permits per park per year; Food Not Bombs has already exceeded their limit. They set up their meatless buffet in Lake Eola knowing that they would likely be arrested as a result.

Not sure what the reference is to photos of police.

Enough with the references to dancing at the Memorial. It's getting old, and ridiculous.

Isn't this supposed to be a forum about Thailand and other Asian countries! America, Police state, sounds like Thailand, Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

America remains the most important economy in the world, and Thailand's largest trading partner. When America gets constipation, the world gets violent diarrhea ...

Isn't this supposed to be a forum about Thailand and other Asian countries! America, Police state, sounds like Thailand, Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

America remains the most important economy in the world, and Thailand's largest trading partner. When America gets constipation, the world gets violent diarrhea ...

55555555555555555555 There's a lot of it about!

but if you break the law, you should get arrested

Well thank you for making my case for me :clap2:

That is all you had to say............but evidently not if you are a former Goldman Sachs employee ? :unsure:

My pleasure. So you agree the dancers and the others handing out free food should have been arrested as they broke the law. Great! We do agree on a few things. :)

but if you break the law, you should get arrested

Well thank you for making my case for me :clap2:

That is all you had to say............but evidently not if you are a former Goldman Sachs employee ? :unsure:

My pleasure. So you agree the dancers and the others handing out free food should have been arrested as they broke the law. Great! We do agree on a few things. :)

" and for being my friend Jon............. I will even let you dance at the Lincoln Memorial without getting arrested " :ph34r:

post-6925-0-83705100-1322192041_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"There Will Be Violence, Mark My Words"

By Michael Thomas, Newsweek

http://readersupport...142-the-big-lie

good article but now they can deal with such dissenting voices by enforcing

NDAA 2012

"Section 1031 essentially repeals the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 by authorizing the U.S. military to perform law enforcement functions on American soil. That alone should alarm my colleagues on both sides of the aisle, but there are other problems with these provisions that must be resolved."

Is this why there were in such a hurry to bring the troops back from Iraq?

http://www.ibtimes.c...martial-law.htm

Edited by midas

I would not be surprised.....Given also that many troops are actually National Guardsmen & not full time military

Same during Katrina where they let the guard basically roam as thugs.

They did not build all these FEMA camps in recent times just for federal emergencies like hurricanes etc.

If so they would not have used barbed razor wire on the tops of the fences directed inwards.

When razor wire is tilted inwards it is to keep folks in not out.

Edited by flying

I would not be surprised.....Given also that many troops are actually National Guardsmen & not full time military

Same during Katrina where they let the guard basically roam as thugs.

They did not build all these FEMA camps in recent times just for federal emergencies like hurricanes etc.

If so they would not have used barbed razor wire on the tops of the fences directed inwards.

When razor wire is tilted inwards it is to keep folks in not out.

do you see any link between The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA),and NDAA ? maybe it is my overly

fertile imagination but it just seems a strange coincidence that these kinds of provisions have been

hurried through almost together and there are some really disturbing things happening regarding

SOPA.

• 2 weeks later...

Right on schedule, the 2012 U.S. elections will be about class warfare. Game on!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/study-americans-believe-conflict-between-rich-poor-is-growing/2012/01/11/gIQAZHibrP_story.html

About two-thirds of the public now believes there are strong conflicts between the rich and poor in America, making class a likelier source of tension than traditional flash points of race or nationality, a study from the Pew Research Center found.

The class divide is expected to be a major theme in the 2012 presidential campaign. President Obama preached a return to middle-class values in a speech last month, and conservative Republicans are fretting about the possibility that class warfare will be Topic A in the general election.

Right on schedule, the 2012 U.S. elections will be about class warfare. Game on!

http://www.washingto...ibrP_story.html

About two-thirds of the public now believes there are strong conflicts between the rich and poor in America, making class a likelier source of tension than traditional flash points of race or nationality, a study from the Pew Research Center found.

The class divide is expected to be a major theme in the 2012 presidential campaign. President Obama preached a return to middle-class values in a speech last month, and conservative Republicans are fretting about the possibility that class warfare will be Topic A in the general election.

well then its game over giggle.gif

Obama Destroying Middle Class Right Before Our Eyes – 30 Statistics Mainstream Media Propaganda Aren’t Talking About

http://startthinkingright.wordpress.com/2012/01/11/obama-destroying-middle-class-right-before-our-eyes-30-statistics-mainstream-media-propaganda-arent-talking-about/

A Stunning 40% of Americans Are Now Independent. Ron Paul Polls Highest Among Independents, and Independents Would Vote for Paul Over Obamaohmy.png

"

As Forbes notes:

In a head to head match up with incumbent President

Barack Obama, the indie voter chooses Ron Paul, a CBS News poll

suggested on Monday.

A total of 47% of independent voters said they would choose Ron Paul

compared to 45% of independent voters choosing Mitt Romney against

Obama, and 41% of independents saying they would choose Rick Santorum.

If a Paul-Obama showdown were ever to take place, 47% of independent

voters would vote for Paul, 81% republicans and 10% Democrats for a

total of 45% of the vote. Obama would get just 40% of the independent

vote in that contest, with 85% of the Democrats choosing Obama and 9% of

Republicans choosing the President on election day in November.

http://www.washingto...over-obama.html

Edited by midas

Obama has as much chance of being faced with Ron Paul as his republican opponent and him facing Donald Duck. As far as who is more on the side of the 99 percent, Obama or Richie McRich (Romney) the out of touch corporations are people - firing artist, let the people decide, OK?

Obama has as much chance of being faced with Ron Paul as his republican opponent and him facing Donald Duck. As far as who is more on the side of the 99 percent, Obama or Richie McRich (Romney) the out of touch corporations are people - firing artist, let the people decide, OK?

Whose on the side if the 99% is only germane if the ones calling themselves "the 99%" represent 99% of the voters. I tend to doubt that they do.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Whose on the side if the 99% is only germane if the ones calling themselves "the 99%" represent 99% of the voters. I tend to doubt that they do.

It is when you realize that it is a trick of the right wing to fool people to vote against their economic self interest. They are expert at that in the U.S. The tea party is a fake populist movement, funded by radical right wing corporate business interests. Of course you can't get the entire 99 percent to smell the coffee. Edited by Jingthing