Shoppers Tighten Their Belts As Tesco Reports Worst Uk Sales For 20 Years

Boater

Shoppers are changing their habits, becoming more prudent and wasting less it was claimed today as supermarkets announced their half year results.

The UK sales performance - Tesco's worst for 20 years - highlights the squeeze on consumers' spending power as wages fail to keep up with rising prices.

The supermarket saw a 0.9 per cent fall in sales of electronics and entertainment products but overall the group recorded a 6.2 per cent rise in underlying profit to £1.9bn in the first half of the year.

Sainsbury's revealed that like-for-like sales increased by 1.9 per cent in the 16 weeks to October 1 - the same rate as in the previous quarter. Unlike Tesco, its figures include VAT.

article-2045430-0C8E7FD9000005DC-573_634x438.jpg The decline in the sales of electronics and entertainment goods at Tesco continued to decline

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2045430/Tesco-reports-worst-UK-sales-20-years-shoppers-tighten-belts.html#ixzz1Zw6DkpyS

Tesco's strong figures were boosted significantly by a strong performance in Asia. Sales rose 8.8 per cent to £35.5bn

and

Its Asian business saw sales rise 11.9 per cent to £5.6 billion, with profits up 18.3 per cent to £292 million, driven by strong growth in China and Thailand.

at the end of the day, they are still selling there products in Thailand at the same profit margin as in the uk, BUT, they only need to pay there employees a 10 th of what they pay them in the uk, plus they dont have to but up with Refunds, Price Cuts ( as they do in the UK , IE battle with the other supermarkets )

My belt is already at its tightest. Should I buy a smaller one?

if it is 2 for 1 or comes with 100 club card points, why not ....................

Double divvy is next week....back on the meat pies and lasagne for me! biggrin.gif.

they are doing a good deal on Tesco Finest Lasagne for 2 , Large Garlic Bread, a tesco finest dessert and a bottle of decent italian wine for 10 Pounds ( 500 THB ) , oh i wish they did deals like that in Thailand Tesco

My belt is already at its tightest. Should I buy a smaller one?

if it is 2 for 1 or comes with 100 club card points, why not ....................

Double divvy is next week....back on the meat pies and lasagne for me! biggrin.gif.

they are doing a good deal on Tesco Finest Lasagne for 2 , Large Garlic Bread, a tesco finest dessert and a bottle of decent italian wine for 10 Pounds ( 500 THB ) , oh i wish they did deals like that in Thailand Tesco

Not in the UK Boater...in paradise...no EU here thanks....

smokie36 lasagne beats Tesco's finest by some distance....and cheaper......decent italian wine? Brand please?

Should I make a chocolate pud...?,,,,,,decisions.....rolleyes.gif

Being the up market person that I am :whistling: I prefer the M&S deal for a tenner. This weekends offer looks quite enticing. The fact that the wife works there and gets 20% off makes it even better. Actually they are doing 25% off any 2 cases of wine at the moment + of course an extra 20% for moi !

Being the up market person that I am :whistling: I prefer the M&S deal for a tenner. This weekends offer looks quite enticing. The fact that the wife works there and gets 20% off makes it even better. Actually they are doing 25% off any 2 cases of wine at the moment + of course an extra 20% for moi !

are they doing these offers in the Thai Marks and sparks ?

are they doing these offers in the Thai Marks and sparks ?

As if Boater !! I have to have some compensations for being back in Blighty at present. Will happily give them up when the sprog is comfortably ensconced at Uni and can move back. Can then return to my wine smuggling trips from Langkawi or try to reduce my palate to accepting the horribly overpriced foul tasting that passes for wine in LOS.

You still have the better deal mate :annoyed:

Ps. The Thai M&S so ludicrously overpriced. I like the M&S Aertex underpants, great for hot climates but then I saw they cost 3 times the price they do in the UK ! Where are they made ? You got it, Thailand :D

Edited by roamer