Aggressiveness Towards Farangs Lately

I agree with R Smith and a few others. Thais (not all) don't "bite the hand that feeds them" but rather take the whole arm off.

I grew up in a lower middle class area and I can recall the rich uncle driving up in his new roller. We put out the red carpet for him, the best we could offer from our meager holdings, and mother even made me go out and shine his car. In return we were rewarded with trips and gifts. When the day came that I was the "rich uncle" I did the same for my poor nephew's children. However, I began to see them taking advantage of the situation and not appreciating what I was doing for them. I immediately cut them off and never saw them again. In my family we do a good deed for the less fortunate, but if the recipient is not grateful than the act is never repeated. This is what has happened to Samui as farangs have seen resentment instead of thankfulness. And Thais are certainly not introspective creatures so they will surely look for the blame anywhere except within themselves.

I am not singling out Thais as I have seen this same thing all over the world but usually the government was quick to react when they saw the heavy loss in tourist revenue. There doesn't seem to be that concern here so it will just be self-perpetuating.

I am only worried about safety. Prior to Koh Samui I lived on a Caribbean island where resentment turned to violence towards the rich foreignors, and the government had to step in and take control. Since we all know how the police are here we won't have that added benefit of protection should violence occur.

Edited by parallaxtech

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That incident is not Samui exclusively, it could happen and for sure it does happen everywhere in Thailand where people try to make some business in a touristic environment with lots of Western Expats around. That girl and that man were certainly not from Samui.

I live here since over ~25 years and I very seldom, almost never, buy in shops/markets for tourists or need services offered for tourists. However I know all the Samui Thais in my area, mostly elderly Thais, but also young ones, and everyone knows me. There is no change of behavior at all, everyone is as friendly to me like years before.

That does not necessarily mean that others aren't more aggressively to other Farangs than before. Many Thais who come to Samui are simple people, who are only here for better income and who cannot understand the difference between a rich Farang tourist, who does not bargain at all, maybe don't want to have change, and other Farangs, who try to bargain.

Same for Thai women going with Farangs, they are here for a good income. The absolute minority are Samui woman going with Farangs. Many have Thai lovers, who get the money and of whom some come to the house when the Farang is not there...

Another i had a run in with a thai who was aggressive, abusive, threatening towards me for no reason whatsoever, because i did nothing and said nothing out of place because i am an angel, thread....

I'm only too aware that there are more than a few thai males floating around with a raging unreasonable bitterness towards farang...But i'm also only too aware there are far far more than a few farang floating around treating and talking to thai people like they are pieces of shit, because they think they can get away with it ....

I have seen multitudes of incidents between thais and falang that have arisen from abusive or disrespectful behaviour from the falang towards the thai....When these incidents blow up and the falang gets the reaction they deserve, they almost always pass the whole incident off as... 'i was sweetness and light, did nothing, said nothing out of place and the thais angry aggressive behaviour towards me was for no reason whatsoever'.....

Whilst i'm not saying the OP or other OP's with similar sob stories are lying, i do find it strange that so many people take it for granted that the OP's interpretation of the incident is gospel, when the logical conclusion in most cases is there was more to it than the OP is letting on...and the fact the OP in this case appears to have 'history' makes it more likely that his interpretation of events are maybe not quite as he would have you believe...

Another i had a run in with a thai who was aggressive, abusive, threatening towards me for no reason whatsoever, because i did nothing and said nothing out of place because i am an angel, thread....

I'm only too aware that there are more than a few thai males floating around with a raging unreasonable bitterness towards farang...But i'm also only too aware there are far far more than a few farang floating around treating and talking to thai people like they are pieces of shit, because they think they can get away with it ....

I have seen multitudes of incidents between thais and falang that have arisen from abusive or disrespectful behaviour from the falang towards the thai....When these incidents blow up and the falang gets the reaction they deserve, they almost always pass the whole incident off as... 'i was sweetness and light, did nothing, said nothing out of place and the thais angry aggressive behaviour towards me was for no reason whatsoever'.....

Whilst i'm not saying the OP or other OP's with similar sob stories are lying, i do find it strange that so many people take it for granted that the OP's interpretation of the incident is gospel, when the logical conclusion in most cases is there was more to it than the OP is letting on...and the fact the OP in this case appears to have 'history' makes it more likely that his interpretation of events are maybe not quite as he would have you believe...

You sound like you have a self loathing because you are not thai.

If we are all honest with ourselves......when I lived in the UK, I tolerated all the foreigners from just about everywhere in the world that came over the past 50 years and were mostly useless idle scroungers....did I really like any of them or have any as friends..NO!!!........so why should Thais really like any of us.......there are so many that come here get drunk, abuse ladies, take drugs etc.....thats the reality

If we are all honest with ourselves......when I lived in the UK, I tolerated all the foreigners from just about everywhere in the world that came over the past 50 years and were mostly useless idle scroungers....did I really like any of them or have any as friends..NO!!!........so why should Thais really like any of us.......there are so many that come here get drunk, abuse ladies, take drugs etc.....thats the reality

What are you talking about? Its profits from being a tourist destination so yes, people do get drunk as they do anywhere else in the world bar certain muslim countries. So dothe thais for that matter. So what? Big deal!

Your statement that "so many "come here to abuse woman" is one of the most ridiculous i've heard on here. A drug haven?!! What planet are you on?

And being honest with myself, i don't make snap judgements that foreigners are idle scroungers i judge them as i find them.

While it is interesting to see this turn into a discussion on Thai attitudes towards foreigners generally, I do believe in this case it is far off the mark. These three statements were made by OP in various posts:

1. A nice young girlof about 16 was helping me. I asked her in Thai whether she went to school ornot. Suddenly a man, presumably her brother or father, came up to me with along pole and pushed it against my throat

2. One of thevendors stepped in and said to them that I was a very bad farang

3. I have heard several false rumours about myself

Rightly or wrongly, it seems that OP has attracted a rather unsavoury reputation to himself. Thai communities are like any other. Small, gossipy, and despite appearances to the contrary - they do know pretty much what goes on around them. Even if this is a case of "mistaken identity", I would suggest that OP uses a great deal of caution in his further dealings with the local Thais.

What are you talking about? Its profits from being a tourist destination so yes, people do get drunk as they do anywhere else in the world bar certain muslim countries. So dothe thais for that matter. So what? Big deal!

Your statement that "so many "come here to abuse woman" is one of the most ridiculous i've heard on here. A drug haven?!! What planet are you on?

And being honest with myself, i don't make snap judgements that foreigners are idle scroungers i judge them as i find them.

On a daily basis I see pi**ed up old foreigners groping or trying to chat to women...not bar girls or hookersbut everyday girls that are walking down the street or working in a shop/restaurant....

There is getting drunk and having fun.....but so many come here and get super drunk and just act the total idiot!!!Recently a drug dealer was caught on Samui and extradited to the US, try Chaweng beach, weed is readily available and openly smoked, so yes..many are taking drugs.......most foreigners to the UK are scroungers, they turned up with nothing just to bleed the system dry...OK, there are a few gooduns but I still only tolerate them..dont want to be bestest buddies with them.......Tower Hamlets, Haringay..nedd I say more......so if Thais dont like old guys chatting up their pubent daughters that is OK

I am in some agreement about the situation in the UK. But here? You could hardly call the Farang as "useless idle scroungers".

Firstly, what is there to scrounge?

Secondly, Samui would not exist if it were not for the tourists. And expats. We all regularly pay over the odds for sub standard goods. We have made a lot of people very wealthy. The majority of drunks get their beer in a bar where a Thai is going to profit substantially. And who do they buy their drugs from? I am pretty sure it is not in Tesco.

I do see the animosity between the cultures and the nationalities. But I don't think it is for the reasons you cite.

Edited by itishothere

On a daily basis I see pi**ed up old foreigners groping or trying to chat to women...not bar girls or hookersbut everyday girls that are walking down the street or working in a shop/restaurant....

There is getting drunk and having fun.....but so many come here and get super drunk and just act the total idiot!!!Recently a drug dealer was caught on Samui and extradited to the US, try Chaweng beach, weed is readily available and openly smoked, so yes..many are taking drugs.......most foreigners to the UK are scroungers, they turned up with nothing just to bleed the system dry...OK, there are a few gooduns but I still only tolerate them..dont want to be bestest buddies with them.......Tower Hamlets, Haringay..nedd I say more......so if Thais dont like old guys chatting up their pubent daughters that is OK

I really don't know what to say. I've never seen the world here that you seem to be immersed in. Yes i've seen the odd super drunk tourist, i've seen thais peddling weed on the beach and i've seen the odd naive fool openly smoking it. But you make the place sound like a hell hole and truely, if i saw life here through your eyes i think i'd lose the will to go on!! :D

I am in some agreement about the situation in the UK. But here? You could hardly call the Farang as "useless idle scroungers".

Firstly, what is there to scrounge?

Secondly, Samui would not exist if it were not for the tourists. And expats. We all regularly pay over the odds for sub standard goods. We have made a lot of people very wealthy. The majority of drunks get their beer in a bar where a Thai is going to profit substantially. And who do they buy their drugs from? I am pretty sure it is not in Tesco.

I do see the animosity between the cultures and the nationalities. But I don't think it is for the reasons you cite.

=================================================================================================

ITIS is 100% correct! The average immigrant to the UK and the US is looking to suck dry the remaining tit. Foreignors here are walking atms and make up the majority of the gdp. If one were a poor nation one would only hope and pray that this second group came calling. You don't have to bow before us for taking you from "rags to riches," but a nice "thank you" would suffice.

Back on topic, if I had a daughter working with me in a store, I would instruct her to smile and be very cordial with every customer as the object of any business is to relieve you of your cash, and happy customers buy. I would then tell her if someone crossed the line in friendship to just say, "I would like you to meet my father." Risking my life and livelihood by assaulting a customer would never enter my mind.

Edited by parallaxtech

Here as at many other places in asia I have however NEVER experienced any particular "agressiveness" directed either at me or other non-thai-caucasian-type visitors, even some, it dawned on me, may have very well deserved a good knock on their Ostrich egg heads.

:rolleyes:

But one thing is for sure the breadasket hangs a wee bit higher every day, it's way not any more as easy as it used to be for guides, taxistas and similar lurching bloopers and they are getting slowly, slowly stinky... understandable, was an easy and very cool life for years and years... so if... get out of their way, who assumes to be the smarter one - moves always first!

:whistling:

Here as at many other places in asia I have however NEVER experienced any particular "agressiveness" directed either at me or other non-thai-caucasian-type visitors, even some, it dawned on me, may have very well deserved a good knock on their Ostrich egg heads.

But one thing is for sure the breadasket hangs a wee bit higher every day, it's way not any more as easy as it used to be for guides, taxistas and similar lurching bloopers and they are getting slowly, slowly stinky... understandable, was an easy and very cool life for years and years... so if... get out of their way, who assumes to be the smarter one - moves always first!

Could you explain your post to me, you've lost me

Sorry, i do understand the first line and it instantly dicredits yout post anyway. Are you realy expecting me to be that you have never experienced/witnessed anti social behviour in some form by a Chaweng taxi man or motorbike taxi? No, sorry, i don't believe you. Its a daily occurance.

well I certainly don't mind mate where you get lost unless, ah' well.... some have this, some that, some other things... and some are those very sepcial selected ones... like an english teacher, a chosen one... you know... those who get "lost" or are lost already don't really bother me, never mind and have a nice day, every day!

And yes, by the way chatting up school age girls is a no, no! Doesn't matter with what intention!

well I certainly don't mind mate where you get lost unless, ah' well.... some have this, some that, some other things... and some are those very sepcial selected ones... like an english teacher, a chosen one... you know... those who get "lost" or are lost already don't really bother me, never mind and have a nice day, every day!

And yes, by the way chatting up school age girls is a no, no! Doesn't matter with what intention!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samuian, you need to patent that herb you're smoking! Have you ever seen a bargirl or anyone eating rice on this island??? Many of the 16-yr-olds here are pregnant or have given birth so somebody is doing more than chatting! And many even under 16 are working the bars with fake ids so please drop the "hollier than thou" act. It turns my stomach.

I think you pretty well know how i'd like to reply to you but that would be stupid because i'd get banned. You sound like a little fella and a bit insecure btw. ;)

I really don't know what to say. I've never seen the world here that you seem to be immersed in. Yes i've seen the odd super drunk tourist, i've seen thais peddling weed on the beach and i've seen the odd naive fool openly smoking it. But you make the place sound like a hell hole and truely, if i saw life here through your eyes i think i'd lose the will to go on!! :D

I love Thailand and am happy here.............I was stating facts that would make the average Thai not particulary like foreigners hence the altercation the OP had.

Visitors to other countries & even Bangkok, to a certain extent are different then pure holiday destination tourists.

Say a visitor is in Bangkok, goes to see all the sites, does all the tours, his general behaviour is far removed from what you would find say in Nana or Soi Cowboy.So of what I have noticed there is the different behaviour, does attract a different response.

Now how many times do we say on this forum , that tourists arriving to Samui seem to put their brain on hold at the airport? Several times I have read that statement.People seem to treat others on a different level once they hit the holiday destination.

The interaction between locals & tourists here on the island is very confined, your main hotels are in a rather very heavily orientated entertainment area Chaweng the other one Lamai.

Sure we have other hotels spread over the island , attracting various type of clientele.But my point is how many times would you see a problem in Eg: Chongmon compared to Chaweng?

I have noticed over the years the jaded attitude the locals are getting towards tourists that do not know or even bother to read the basic do's & don'ts, thinking for example , hey I'm on holidays, I can do what I like, I'll get pissed, we know better the them & honestly treat locals like S..T.

In other words a lot of the respect that you would encounter in a larger city is all but dissipated in such an environment, solely geared to make money.

I have never ever had an argument with a local, sure got angry , but keep reminding myself where I am & that the rules of play have changed.

Back on topic, perhaps this guy had a few people hit on his daughter,you don't know what took place before hand, as someone said, you could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This thread got seriously side-tracked early on.

The operative phrase here was: "One of the vendors stepped in and said to them that I was a very bad farang, ..."

Those of you living here in Thailand/Samui for some length of time ought to have picked this out right away. The subtext here is that for whatever reason (which obviously has not been posted, assuming it is even known to the OP), there has been a rumor(s) started regarding this farang which casts him in a negative light. I don't believe the Thai man was having a bad day, or overprotective of his daughter (a rather paranoid and naive specuation); he had simply heard something from someone and was treating the farang as he had been told: as a bad man. I'd ask the OP to think back and let us know if in the past there was some incident with someone else -- however minor -- that was the kindling for the current fire. Did you innocently tell someone that their mangoes were "แพงมาก" (very expensive) as you practiced your Thai or otherwise rubbed someone the wrong way. I bring up the "expensive" idea because it is one example where something you might say in English, and use when practicing Thai, could be taken the wrong way by a Thai, and could be taken as rudeness.

My feeling is that the OP has some bad press out there (deserved or otherwise) that is queering his pitch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samuian, you need to patent that herb you're smoking! Have you ever seen a bargirl or anyone eating rice on this island??? Many of the 16-yr-olds here are pregnant or have given birth so somebody is doing more than chatting! And many even under 16 are working the bars with fake ids so please drop the "hollier than thou" act. It turns my stomach.

I thought you were innocent but with comments such as this, am not suprised at what happened to you....may I suggest you stop talking to young girls and stick to ones yourown age

I thought you were innocent but with comments such as this, am not suprised at what happened to you....may I suggest you stop talking to young girls and stick to ones yourown age

========================================================================================================================================================================

I would, but they are all dead! Why do you think I'm in Thailand? Have you ever seen a farang with a Thai woman his own age? My neighbor is 70 yrs older than his wife. Should I tell him to date someone his own age? Also, the op has nothing to do with dating some underage girl. Try reading it again, please.

The operative phrase here was: "One of the vendors stepped in and said to them that I was a very bad farang, ..."

Those of you living here in Thailand/Samui for some length of time ought to have picked this out right away. The subtext here is that for whatever reason (which obviously has not been posted, assuming it is even known to the OP), there has been a rumor(s) started regarding this farang which casts him in a negative light. I don't believe the Thai man was having a bad day, or overprotective of his daughter (a rather paranoid and naive specuation); he had simply heard something from someone and was treating the farang as he had been told: as a bad man. I'd ask the OP to think back and let us know if in the past there was some incident with someone else -- however minor -- that was the kindling for the current fire. Did you innocently tell someone that their mangoes were "แพงมาก" (very expensive) as you practiced your Thai or otherwise rubbed someone the wrong way. I bring up the "expensive" idea because it is one example where something you might say in English, and use when practicing Thai, could be taken the wrong way by a Thai, and could be taken as rudeness.

My feeling is that the OP has some bad press out there (deserved or otherwise) that is queering his pitch.

=========================================================================================================================================================================

"The only good farang is a dead one" is pretty much the attitude of many Thais on Samui. In seven years I have never heard a Thai say,"Hey, there goes a good farang." When I first met my Thai wife several years ago she nervously asked me if I had murdered my wife and children back home. After laughing for several minutes I asked her who had spread that rumour and she said that many people had warned her about me. I told her the next time she heard it to just say that the farang was offering a 1MB reward for anybody who could find a wife or children in his past. The longer you are here the less you are tolerated. Thais like tourists who come here and unload their wallets. If you can't kill the farang at least spread bad rumours about them. Again, this is a generalisation, as I have met many good Thais here, but it only takes a few disgruntled souls to rock the boat. And before you say it, I am here because I love the island, the food, and its attractions. As my wife said to me,"Stay clear of these people as they are not really Thai."

Edited by parallaxtech

=========================================================================================================================================================================

"The only good farang is a dead one" is pretty much the attitude of many Thais on Samui. In seven years I have never heard a Thai say,"Hey, there goes a good farang." When I first met my Thai wife several years ago she nervously asked me if I had murdered my wife and children back home. After laughing for several minutes I asked her who had spread that rumour and she said that many people had warned her about me. I told her the next time she heard it to just say that the farang was offering a 1MB reward for anybody who could find a wife or children in his past. The longer you are here the less you are tolerated. Thais like tourists who come here and unload their wallets. If you can't kill the farang at least spread bad rumours about them. Again, this is a generalisation, as I have met many good Thais here, but it only takes a few disgruntled souls to rock the boat. And before you say it, I am here because I love the island, the food, and its attractions. As my wife said to me,"Stay clear of these people as they are not really Thai."

There is clearly something very disturbing about you as far as the Thais are concerned. A Thai attacks you when you talk to his daughter or sister. Some people you were talking to were told you were "a very bad man" and now apparently when you met your wife, she was told you were a murderer!

For goodness sake!

Either you are an unfortunate victim of mistaken identity or someone has been saying bad things about you, or there is something about you that is freaking them out!

Try and work it out.

However although there may well be some endemic resentment towards us by Thai males, I think your case is so extreme that it could hardly be regarded as the norm.

Have you ever seen a farang with a Thai woman his own age?

YES

perhaps that's your problem.

========================================================================================

Bruce, please take a picture of them. If I wanted black bananas I could find plenty in my orchard back home. Like most men here, I came for the fresh fruit. My wife is 24yrs younger, but I still feel she is way too old. My buddies who are ten years older have girlfriends/wives much younger than mine and it bothers me. That's the wonderful thing about life, though, you can choose anyone you like. If you prefer an old beater more power to you. I'll take the sleek new model.

There is clearly something very disturbing about you as far as the Thais are concerned. A Thai attacks you when you talk to his daughter or sister. Some people you were talking to were told you were "a very bad man" and now apparently when you met your wife, she was told you were a murderer!

For goodness sake!

Either you are an unfortunate victim of mistaken identity or someone has been saying bad things about you, or there is something about you that is freaking them out!

Try and work it out.

However although there may well be some endemic resentment towards us by Thai males, I think your case is so extreme that it could hardly be regarded as the norm.

======================================================================================================================================================================

Once again I asked my Thai wife why such nasty rumours were spread about me and she said it was not just me but about every farang who was living here, but only by some Thais. She said that she ignores it and I should to and just to stay away from Thais on this island, which is what I do, unless I have to transact business with them. Through her, though, I have met some wonderful Thais so I am not bashing all Thais.

Have you ever seen a farang with a Thai woman his own age?

YES

perhaps that's your problem.

========================================================================================

Bruce, please take a picture of them. If I wanted black bananas I could find plenty in my orchard back home. Like most men here, I came for the fresh fruit. My wife is 24yrs younger, but I still feel she is way too old. My buddies who are ten years older have girlfriends/wives much younger than mine and it bothers me. That's the wonderful thing about life, though, you can choose anyone you like. If you prefer an old beater more power to you. I'll take the sleek new model.

You still don't get it do you

Did it ever occur to you that it might turn some Thai fathers stomachs like it does mine and probably all the fathers in your home country to see their daughters trying to be chatted up by an old man. Do you have any morals. The more i read your posts i think you deserve what you get. I think you came here thinking you can do what the f***k you like, you want to start showing a bit of respect and you might get some back. I bet you believe your wife when she calls you handsome man.