Oct 16-18 Critical For Bangkok: Flood Crisis

webfact

Need some advice,...I have had a trip planned since March to visit Thailand from the 13-19th of October. I know wonderful planning. But from what I am reading it looks like I need to cancel since the government is now saying the floods will most definitely affect Bangkok at the same time. Is the governments assessment correct or is it worse then what I am reading? I see nothing but heavy rain in the forecast, please let me know what you are seeing.

Need some advice,...I have had a trip planned since March to visit Thailand from the 13-19th of October. I know wonderful planning. But from what I am reading it looks like I need to cancel since the government is now saying the floods will most definitely affect Bangkok at the same time. Is the governments assessment correct or is it worse then what I am reading? I see nothing but heavy rain in the forecast, please let me know what you are seeing.

Where U plan to go and what transport?

Flood measures outlined on Sukhumbhand Paribatra's Facebook page

The Nation

Building of dykes and drainage: Existing dykes can cope with flood water at a level of 2.5 metres, and water flow of 3,000-3,500 cubic metres per second, with drainage capacity of 60 millimetres per hour.

Dykes

In eastern Bangkok:

A total of 72 kilometres of dykes have been built at royal initiative

Along the Chao Phraya River and the Bangkok Noi and Maha Sawas canals:

To contain water from the North and rising seawater, 75.8km have been built of a planned 77km, with the remaining sections expected to be completed this year. The dykes can contain flood water at a level of 2.5 metres, while the unfinished sections will do so at 2-2.5 metres.

Drainage operations:

More sewers and dredging of canals; pumping stations have been readied

Mobile-pumping units (1,152 operational)

Giant tunnels

21 catchment areas

95 BEST units comprising 700 officials are on standby

Coordination centre is active

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-08

Where U plan to go and what transport?

I will be staying at the sheraton (Sukhumvit 15) in Bangkok, mainly local travel west (by bus and truck) to Samut Sakhon, Kanchanaburi, my concern is I do not want to get stranded. I have other business right after my trip. So any information is critical. You think the government is accurately reporting the flooding?

According to this map report, various sections of Ramindra Road are already flooded as well as Synphaet and Paolo Memorial Nawamin Hospital. Phone calls to the hospitals were not answered so could not confirm actual situation.

border-between-flooded-dry-bkk.jpg

Where is this map? can you please post a link?

here's the website

www.thaiflood.com

enjoy

Nam Dang and it's raining steadily, We may be at risk as it seems we are in an area that may be earmarked for the reception of flood water, time will tell.

Many thanks to Scorpo 2369 for the map link, the English translation is first class and of course the wife and our three boys can cope easily with the Thai version.

Scorpio 2369 may your glass never be empty or your table bare.jap.gif

Edited by siampolee

Nam Dang and it's raining steadily, We may be at risk as it seems we are in an area that may be earmarked for the reception of flood water, time will tell.

Many thanks to Scorpo 2369 for the map link, the English translation is first class and of course the wife and our three boys can cope easily with the Thai version.

Scorpio 2369 may your glass never be empty or your table bare.jap.gif

Siampolee,

You and everyone else are quite welcome. I just hope I can visit between 13-19. I've already rescheduled once..due to a earthquake (japan), now flooding. Maybe it is me....LOL

"Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee urged individuals and private firms to make their boats and vessels available for volunteer operations to push water out to sea"

:w00t: .....:cheesy:

Yeah a bit laughable at this point, if it were funny :( . I think their boats would be put to better use in ferrying supplies and stranded people, it may have had some relevance before the flood gates were opened but now the scope has gone beyond any such human intervention..A drop of wee in a pool I'm afraid :( ..

I would have thought hundreds of boats on the water would increase river height through displacement, thus exacerbating flooding. Especially large craft such as those huge barges. how fast water exits would depend on its flow downstream and the tide height. The dams are nearly full so there's no way to control downstream flow. Near my house the tide level plays a major impact on flooding on the road - not too bad in the morning but terrible in the evening around high tide.

All these dykes and sandbags in Bkk are just gonna make the water rise higher here in Ayuttaya. It's already ridiculously savage where i am, off Rojana Road. Helicopters flying overhead all the time, but nothing happening to help evacuate. I'm cut off with the rest of the Thai's with a 5 month-old son. The water's raging past at the end of my soi. No food or water being sent here.

I'm not worried, yet. Just concerned about food, water and baby milk. Not in that order.

Is this for real, you are pulling my leg surely, this is a joke is it:

"Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee urged individuals and private firms to make their boats and vessels available for volunteer operations

to push water out to sea"

Can anyone give guidance as to the progression of the flood through Bangkok.

Where are the high areas in Bangkok

Is it necessary for an international fund to help build a second outflow to the gulf,

or would this be a waste of effort since outflow depends on the tides,

Can Thailand manage this future.

Because frankly New Orleans is finished, and there are similarities.

Edited by peterquixote

"Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee urged individuals and private firms to make their boats and vessels available for volunteer operations

Sad but true...this is for real, but if you research the esteemed ministers track record, you will see once he also suggested that some of the exhibits at Chang Mai zoo be cooked up and served to tourists at inflated prices....in conclusion the esteemed Minister is a fruit loop, and the only thing he should be put in charge of is sharpening pencils...:P

Sad but true...this is for real, but if you research the esteemed ministers track record, you will see once he also suggested that some of the exhibits at Chang Mai zoo be cooked up and served to tourists at inflated prices....in conclusion the esteemed Minister is a fruit loop, and the only thing he should be put in charge of is sharpening pencils...:P

You'd let this man sharpen a pencil ? :unsure: :unsure:

The barges are just to increase the flow aren't they? Churn it out to sea. Does it say they're gonna fill them?

Ive got 2.5 metres of water outside my window flowing like i dont know what..quite frankly I don't give a <deleted> what they do as long as its quick!!!!

You have 2,5 Metres of Water outside your Window but still electricity ????