Driving Through The Floods

For those needing to travel at the moment, here's some official web links that may help you plan your journey around the flooded roads in the Kingdom..

Map showing flooded roads in the kingdom (green = flooded but passable*, red = impassable):

http://www.thaiflood.com/highwaymap/

Not easy to use, but has the most specific and up-to-date road flooding information (note: use Internet Exploder if your modern web browser renders it messed up):

http://gis.mot.go.th...d/mapviewer.jsf

Site with current flooding maps and downloadable KML files for Google Earth (often down though):

http://flood.gistda.or.th/

* Passable in cars with decent ground clearance.

Conditions are changing rapidly, so always call the Highways Hotline on 1586 if your route could be passing through a flooded area (a Thai speaker would be very beneficial for this though)

Current flooded roads map:

floodedroads.png

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Top man, thank you. :)

So good, I pinned it :)

HighwayPolice at phone 1193 can give info on road conditions and major accidents in Thai Language. Provide info on Province, road number and direction when asking, to speed up things.

But during days like this weekend with several Highways closed, they will not be able to handle all calls, so no point in calling for 5 days, you just slow down emergency response by calling

Just read that Honda is having another hit for this, as the spare parts plant in Ayutthaya has been flooded out and my Misses reports that they've moved all the new Honda's to Don Muang for storage..

Probably not a bad idea to rent space there anyways for normal business post flooding..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Anyone with a good guesstimate of when the Asian Highway will be passeable to all vehicles again?

Are we talking days :) ... or weeks? :(

I drove Lampang-Bangkok on Tuesday - 6-1/2 hours. Returned yesterday, 10 hours. The return was using the Suphanburi-Angthong bypass and the Asia Highway the rest of the way. Serious holdups getting on the 340 in Bangkok and again at some flooding in Nakhon Sawan but passable to all vehicles.

Anyone with a good guesstimate of when the Asian Highway will be passeable to all vehicles again?

Are we talking days :) ... or weeks? :(

I drove Lampang-Bangkok on Tuesday - 6-1/2 hours. Returned yesterday, 10 hours. The return was using the Suphanburi-Angthong bypass and the Asia Highway the rest of the way. Serious holdups getting on the 340 in Bangkok and again at some flooding in Nakhon Sawan but passable to all vehicles.

Hi, can you kindly give the HW numbers for the bypass, as I don't want to go the wrong way and literally end up in deep waters? Minus the holdups, how long do you think the journey BKK-Lampang would have been instead?

Hi, can you kindly give the HW numbers for the bypass, as I don't want to go the wrong way and literally end up in deep waters? Minus the holdups, how long do you think the journey BKK-Lampang would have been instead?

The highway from Suphanburi to Angthong was 3195. The actual distance was less than 50km difference so, without holdups, would take less than an hour longer.

The highway from Suphanburi to Angthong was 3195. The actual distance was less than 50km difference so, without holdups, would take less than an hour longer.

Today I dorve through Nakhon Sawan from Phitsanulok. I saw that the 117 was impassable (as per the google map showing flooded roads) near NS so I took a detour on the 115 to join the highway 1 to NS. got to the Chao Praya University about 6-7 klm outside of NS came to a halt with the traffic. It took about 2 hours to go about 4klm, the hold up being workers keeping the water from flooding the road and maintaining a makeshift bridge to get over the worse of it. This was the only real delay I came across. I was heading to Phuket. most of the secondary roads are blocked off to traffic couldn't go via Chai Nat, had to stay on the highway 1 which turns into 32 past NS. I didn't take the turn off for Sing Buri, there were a few pickups parked up and I decided it probably was not a good idea to go that way.

However there was another turn off for Lop Buri and Supan Buri which I took onto 3032 then onto 340 all the way to Supan Buri, then to Nakhon Pathom then onto highway 4 to Hau Hin where I am now. I left Phisanulok at 06:00hrs got into Hau Hin about 18:00 hrs.

There wan't much traffic on the roads, Just as well for those of us that were on the road. But from what I saw, it is probably worse coming out of BKK that getting into BKK, I feel sorry for the farmers who have had their livelihood taken away from them.

I will be flying into Don Muang on Thursday and taking a taxi to Yanhee Hospital in Nonthaburi. Will this be possible given I've heard that Viphavadi Rangsit Rd has been flooded in parts and certain parts of Nonthaburi are at risk this week?

I will be flying into Don Muang on Thursday and taking a taxi to Yanhee Hospital in Nonthaburi. Will this be possible given I've heard that Viphavadi Rangsit Rd has been flooded in parts and certain parts of Nonthaburi are at risk this week?

Nonthaburi is not looking to good at the moment. You might not be able to get there come Thursday!

This map looks very useful as well, found it form 2Bangkok.com

http://www.google.or...iland_floods_en

WIth quite a few online maps available, question is which map has the latest updated information?

The link I sent says the Unitar flooding imagery data source is from 13-Oct satellite imagery so quite new. Kind of makes sense as the maps would be pretty useless otherwise when they are needed most.

I drive a Vigo Hilux, live in Ayutthaya on weekends and work and live in Bangkok the weekdays in

Lat Krabang Industrial Estate

In Ayutthaya driving to water of different depth

Driving Asia Highway from Ayutthaya on Monday went decently, couldnot exit to Outer Ring Road 9, Kanchanapisek,

So I went on Highway 1 direction Don Muang/Bangkok.

Took the 3214 to Khlong Luang and back on Highway 9

Today going to Ayutthaya planning on taking Highway 1 all the way to Asia Highway to Ayutthaya

Any news on the 3214 or Bang Pa In intersection highway 9 and 32 since the water went over in Pathumthani?

yesterday late afternoon from Lat Krabang to Ayutthaya

Highway no. 1, OK untill Rangsit than down to normal level.

That was a wrong choice as it was in slomo to intersection Bang Pa In direction Ayutthaya/Asia Highway

from there partly flooded Asia Highway to Ayutthaya

Only accessible for trucks and pick-ups.. travel time 2.30 hours

In the morning from Ayutthaya to Lat Krabang

Asia Highway, same as day before partly flooded, to intersection direction Bangkok/Highway 1

On Highway 1, dry roads with parked vehicles, took a left a Klongh Luang around Thamassat University,

know as exit 44/road 3214

Drove with small floodings but no traffic jams to intersection Outer Ring Road 9,

on to Rangsit/Nakon Nayok, Lum Luk Ka, Rham Inthra and Serithai where I jumped of to get to Lat

Krabang. Travel time 1.45, not too bad

No traffic issues but I still find it funny I need to pay toll for these roads that are

partly inaccessible

Edited by jumbo

Hi there folks/.

can you help me please? my friend travelled down last Saturday from Nong Bualam phu to Bangkae? ok till he hit Wang Noi? on No1. road, only 10 kilos from 9 ring road, it took him a further 7-8 hours to get to Bangkae? crazy journey Police would not let you use the 9 road any direction?

WELL! he is travelling back this Sunday (leaving here) am to travel back to Nong Bualam phu?

normally go - 9 ring road (west) and then No1. and No2. etc

Any suggestions - how to get home (other than by boat)? how is the junction with 9 ring road and No.1? any suggested routes to get back home, using GPS?

Thanks for your help? cheers

Highway 9 is closed at Khlong Luan exit and the intersection at 9, 1 and 32 (around the university for monks) is dead.

The only way I can imagine him to get where he wants to go is take the exit and direction of Nakon Nayok road 305 at Rangsit/Nakon Nayok exit at Highway 9.

Follow the road around, left hand, Nakon nayok and he will see a sign for Wang Noi or Ayutthaya.

Then get back on Highway 1.

Good luck

Travelling to pattaya from chiang mai and using the highway 11 down via phitsanulok to avoid nakhon sawan, does anyone have any advice as to how to get to the highway 7 suvannphumi- pattaya from the north?? thanks in advance..

Following 11 you go the wrong way as it ends in 32 which is blocked

You need to go by Korat and down from there bypassing Bangkok

Hi guys,

Am going to have to travel from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and have been using all the resources here to find a route through.

As of now was thinking of taking Highway 1 through Meuang Lopburi and Saraburi before taking Highway 11 the rest of the way.

What I see on the road closure website, it seems possible. But I would desperately love to hear from the more experienced heads here before putting myself in harm's way, or getting stranded. Am planning to leave in 2-3 days time so any advice would be appreciated.

On that note, anyone know drivers that might be able to be hired to be a co-driver? Unless of course someone knows a company that can transport my vehicle up to CM for me then I will just fly. :D

Quite desperate for input.

:D

I'm heading upcountry tomorrow and my wife called 1586 and was given the following advice: Hwy 304 to Chachunsao & beyond to 319. 319 to 33. Left or West or North on 33 to Hwy 1 in Saraburi. Their advice ended there, but I'm thinking of taking Hwy 11 up to Phitsanulok rather than going through Nakhon Suwan.

Their advice was not given as I've written it above, instead it was all: go to this amphur & then that amphur etc.... , I had to get my wife to call them back to get the highway numbers. So, if you want of check their route on a map, make sure that you ask for the highway numbers as well as the waypoints!

Hi guys,

Am going to have to travel from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and have been using all the resources here to find a route through.

As of now was thinking of taking Highway 1 through Meuang Lopburi and Saraburi before taking Highway 11 the rest of the way.

What I see on the road closure website, it seems possible. But I would desperately love to hear from the more experienced heads here before putting myself in harm's way, or getting stranded. Am planning to leave in 2-3 days time so any advice would be appreciated.

On that note, anyone know drivers that might be able to be hired to be a co-driver? Unless of course someone knows a company that can transport my vehicle up to CM for me then I will just fly. :D

In your Dreams.!! Fly,the flights are full. We have a Car that does Lampang to Saraburi , she recons it takes her 4.5 Hrs extra but a car, {City} has no probs. I admire you guys who know the road numbers, im a Left past the Crocodile Statue, straight on where the VIP Bus rolled over , in fact totally bloody useless at giving directions. Im told they say impassable when its O.K. quite often , you end up at the Polcemans Wife Shop..

Hi guys,

I did Nakorn Ratchasima to CNX yesterday up the 2, 12 and 11 and there was no problems at all (outside of the usual slow pokes) - so if you can get yourself to Ratchasima it'll be a long drive, but bone dry.

Thanks MRO,

In the end I decided to forget about it and just fly.

I'm actually in Khon Kaen right now and had wanted to just get my car out of harm's way and join my family in Chiang Mai.

But everyone around me has pleaded with me not to take the risk. So I'm heeding their pleas and heading up by air from Udorn Thani to CNX. Praying my Pajero will fine on the 2nd floor of my condo parking. hahaha.....

Hi guys,

I did Nakorn Ratchasima to CNX yesterday up the 2, 12 and 11 and there was no problems at all (outside of the usual slow pokes) - so if you can get yourself to Ratchasima it'll be a long drive, but bone dry.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...