17 Bangkok Locations Submerged After Heavy Rain Overnight

webfact

Is there a map of the flooded area? Bangkok and Thailand in general?

Does anyone have news about the Airport, as it's on swampy land, is it under threat ????

The Paknam web forum has an interesting thread about the drainage canal running from the airport, through Samut Prakan to the gulf of Thailand. The drainage canal has pumping stations to move the water out into the sea. It was a 6 year project, cost around 11 billion baht and was only opened last year. The airport should be fine, although ironically the airport itself and surrounding highways impede the natural flow of flood water, hence the need for this canal.

What about the river at Saphan Taksin and surrounding areas of Silom/Sathorn? Are these likely to flood?

The "river at Saphan Taksin" will not flood - it is only a little one, but you should stay well away from Mae Nam Khong!!!

Silom/Sathorn will be ok if you are in the pingpong establishments of Patpong, which are all upstairs.

btw, E b4 K except after mon...

I'm wondering if the hospital the King is in, will be (can't remember it's name!) affected, as it is very close to the Chao Phraya river .... The consequences, hygiene and H&S - wise would be serious if it was! Hopefully, it was built on land well above the river's present level. Being the oldest and probably one of the best hospitals in Asia, the impact on services and the treatment of patients, would be really serious!

Siriraj Hospital

I'm wondering if the hospital the King is in, will be (can't remember it's name!) affected, as it is very close to the Chao Phraya river .... The consequences, hygiene and H&S - wise would be serious if it was! Hopefully, it was built on land well above the river's present level. Being the oldest and probably one of the best hospitals in Asia, the impact on services and the treatment of patients, would be really serious!

Siriraj Hospital

I was there about a week ago and the water levels where pretty high. They did have a lot of sandbags stacked river side and what I could see there was maybe about 1 meter left before water would overflow. Hopefully more have been added, I don't think they would let the flood waters get in with a good fight.

Edited by arkom

The areas expected to be worst affected in the coming days are the eastern districts of Nong Chok, Khlong Sam Wa, Lat Krabang and Min Buri (See below map).

post-35874-0-84845300-1318332395_thumb.j

Additionally, the following roads are most at risk of flooding over the next week (See also map below):

• Chan Road-St Louise-Sathu Pradit (Sathon district)

• Prahon Yothin Road (central Phaya Thai district)

• Sukhumvit Soi 105 (Bang Na district)

• Sukhumvit Soi 39 and 49 (Watthana district)

• Lat Phrao Road (Wang Thonglang district)

• Navamin Road (Bung Kum district)

• Ratchadaphisek Road (Din Daeng district)

• Lat Phrao intersection on Ratchadaphisek Road (Chatuchak district)

• Ratchathewi intersection on Phetchaburi Road (Ratchathewi district)

• Nikhom Makkasan Road (Ratchathewi district)

• Phetchakasem Soi 63 (Bang Kae district)

• Yen Akat Road (Yannawa district)

• Srinakarintara Road (Prawet district)

• Sanam Chai-Maha Rat Road (Phra Nakhon district)

post-35874-0-23155100-1318332416_thumb.j

If I read the site correctly, the most recent map is from October 3 ... about a week old.

David

Note that you can change the date in the pull-down box, although the most recent date is 10 October (yesterday).

yes but when I press the blue button "แผนที่ พื้นที่ ที่ได้รับผลอุทกภัย" I am again on 3rd October.

Do I do something wrong?

I was out in MinBuri and LatKrabang earlier today and it seemed that most major roads are still ok, but the klongs are all very very full and many of the smaller roads are severely flooded.

I should add that this type of flooding seems to happen every year in Minburi and I wouldn't say that the flooding I saw today is worse than what I see pretty much every year.

Ramkamhaeng, Ram Intra, Rom Klao and Chalong Krung roads are all dry. The frontage road along the northern side of motorway #7 has some flooding but is passable.

So as of today things don't seem critical. But if more water is added via rain or runoff then the situation could certainly get more challenging...

If I read the site correctly, the most recent map is from October 3 ... about a week old.

David

Note that you can change the date in the pull-down box, although the most recent date is 10 October (yesterday).

yes but when I press the blue button "แผนที่ พื้นที่ ที่ได้รับผลอุทกภัย" I am again on 3rd October.

Do I do something wrong?

Don't think you wrong, only the overview map is updated. Than it look like overload or blocked.

This gives a good indication of where not to buy property in Bangkok.

It fits with 'Albertsen's Razor' articulated in the book, "Farmsteading in Thailand." "The less desirable a location, the higher its real estate values"

Consider downtown Bangkok which probably has the highest real estate valuations in Thailand. In two of the past 3 years it's had riots. There is always gridlock. The air is nearly always smoggy and its canals are trash infested (though canals might get flushed out due to floods). It's never pleasantly cool at night and now the place is flooding. Add to that predictions it will have year 'round standing water in not-too-distant future. ...........and one wonders why its property values are sky-high.