Retirement Visa And "Usage"

I am a US citizen. 54 years old. I easily qualify for the Thai Retirement visa and could do either of the monthly income or lump sum method for the economic qualification side.

My topic is meant to deal with does the Visa expire, or how much do I have to use it? For example, while I am sure would stay in the country for 6 months of the year or maybe more months for some years, I am interested in what would happen if I go back to the USA now and then to work. I am a contract engineer, and sometimes some specialty work comes along that I just can't turn down or don't want to turn down. A little technical work keeps the brain exercised. So I am wondering if I can keep the Retirement visa and under what conditions would it go away? Can I just refresh it now and then? Does it have a period of validity, during which time it could be valid if I do those 90 day updates?

Thanks

You can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement which will give you one year. Get a multi re-entry permit which will allow you to leave the country without effecting your extension of stay. The re-entry permit is valid to the date your extension of stay expires.

Be it visa (non immigrant O-A) from home country or one year extension of a non immigrant O visa entry in Thailand the validity is one year and each year it must then be renewed. But if using visa you could enter on day 364 after issue and still get a one year stay from that date (but you would need a re-entry permit for travel) and for the first year would not need re-entry permit and get a new one year permitted to stay on each entry. The visa route in home country would seem to be your best option and that does not require any funds in Thailand for issue. The cost per year is less than the extension of stay/re-entry permits would cost but it does require short medical form and police check for issue.

As said, its the re-entry permit that keeps it alive until its natural expiration at 12 months.

Get yourself a multi re-entry permit and your good to come and go as much as you like during the validity period of the visa.

"Yeah, it is those little details I was looking for, types of paperwork, re-do medical stuff, police letters, etc."

Medicals and police reports are only required fro an O-A that you would have to get in your home country.

They are not required for an extension at an immigration office here.

all poster are right on the details, however, due to the OP's question on the 90-day rule, I might add , the 90-day reports are being done timely only while you are staying in Thailand. If you have , for example, 40 days left to your next 90-day report and you leave Thailand for , let's say, 6 months, your next 90-day report will be void and a new 90-day report duty becomes valid again at the date of re-entry. To not to have reported within the 90-day spell when you stayed in the USA does not invalidate your Retirement Visa. The departure and re-entry stamps in your passport will be the proof that you had been abroad.

Just to clarify the renewal point...

If you go down the retirement extension route, because you say you will be in and out of Thailand, bear in mind that you need to be in Thailand in order to renew the extension of stay (based on retirement) on the anniversary of the original 365 day extension of stay. If you miss that, you have to start again from square one with a Non-imm. visa, financial conditions etc.

Just to clarify the renewal point...

If you go down the retirement extension route, because you say you will be in and out of Thailand, bear in mind that you need to be in Thailand in order to renew the extension of stay (based on retirement) on the anniversary of the original 365 day extension of stay. If you miss that, you have to start again from square one with a Non-imm. visa, financial conditions etc.

Or in the 30 days before that date. You can extend up to 30 days early and your extension would still start when the current permission to stay ends, so you wouldn't lose any days.