Immigration.. Collecting The Visa Extension Stamp

LivinLOS

I have my 1 year under review, and am due to go pick up my visa (have it put in the passport) once done.

Do I make another appointment for this, or do you just hand in the passport and come back in the afternoon without queuing ??

My first extension up here and my last office was never this busy, they were rude and unpleasant, but you always saw someone to be rude to you within a few minutes. So am confused the best way to operate.

If its just drop passport at the counter and come back later I of course dont want to waste an appointment, but if you have to speak with the officer, I also dont want to wait hours when theres an alternative.

How does that part work up here.

Every yr I have gotten my visa extension I was provided with a date to come back in and get it. That date was provided to me at my interview process when filing for the extension. Each time I merely walked up to the middle counter, inform them why I was there, they then take my passport and tell me to take a sit.... I usually have to wait approx 30 mins and then they would call me back up to the counter where they would hand over my passport with the new stamp.

Every yr I have gotten my visa extension I was provided with a date to come back in and get it. That date was provided to me at my interview process when filing for the extension. Each time I merely walked up to the middle counter, inform them why I was there, they then take my passport and tell me to take a sit.... I usually have to wait approx 30 mins and then they would call me back up to the counter where they would hand over my passport with the new stamp.

I think because this is a Chiang Mai forum that he is interested in the process here. Go in early in the morning sign in and they will call your name at about 8:30 and give you a number. I presume it is a retirement visa you are getting.

Edited by hellodolly

Went there today at 07:30, out with new 1 year non-imm renewal at about 09:15.

Only reason took so long was too many people.

At 7:30 I was #50 in the queue and the place was packed by 8.

Try and get there early or maybe go after lunch.

Doubt if I have ever been so close to so many missionaries....

Thankfully didn't catch anything though.

Doubt if I have ever been so close to so many missionaries....

Thankfully didn't catch anything though.

As far as you know. :whistling:

Well I found out from a buddy who did this in the last month.. I dont need to book a time, theres no further discussion with officers..

So its a case of go in, drop passport, get called in 30 mins or so with the extension stamp added.

Well I found out from a buddy who did this in the last month.. I dont need to book a time, theres no further discussion with officers..

So its a case of go in, drop passport, get called in 30 mins or so with the extension stamp added.

When you get it all dusted could you post your experience in the pinned topic? Useful for future reference.

I think because this is a Chiang Mai forum that he is interested in the process here. Go in early in the morning sign in and they will call your name at about 8:30 and give you a number. I presume it is a retirement visa you are getting.

I think you need to re-read his post.....He's asking how to pick up his stamp, not begin the process...... at least that's how I interpreted it...whistling.gif

Sure.. I did the initial extension part already.. Just need to go back to collect it next month.

Just for clarification, I assume this is for extension based on marriage as I thought that was the only one required to wait for approval. Retirement and work extensions are on the spot? At least I know work is done on the spot (same day).

I think you need to re-read his post.....He's asking how to pick up his stamp, not begin the process...... at least that's how I interpreted it...whistling.gif

You could be rite. They can confuse me very easy. With a retirement it is done all in one sitting. No coming back for 90 days.

You could be rite. They can confuse me very easy. With a retirement it is done all in one sitting. No coming back for 90 days.

Assuming that you do a 90-day report at the same time. Note that an extension of stay does NOT count as a 90-day report, the latter is a completely separate process.

/ Priceless

Sure.. I did the initial extension part already.. Just need to go back to collect it next month.

Just for clarification, I assume this is for extension based on marriage as I thought that was the only one required to wait for approval. Retirement and work extensions are on the spot? At least I know work is done on the spot (same day).

Yes its marriage.. Sorry should have said.

I actually didnt know retirement etc were done there and then, I thought it all went to a more centralized place.

That was exactly it and sorry for not being more clear..

Actually what happens is they extend the current permission to stay by 30 days (and you can go in up to 30 days early) and when you come to pick it up then then give the rest of the year.

Mine got a little complex as I need to leave the country for a few weeks, so went in 20 something days early, they extended it + 30 so I had 50 something days.. I got a new re-entry (single as it is tied to the little extension) and can leave the country, and be back, all in time for the +30 extension to expire.

I cant say enough nice things about CM immigration, sure the place is heaving, its crazy busy.. But they are all smiles, civil, polite and professional.. They are setting up systems to attempt to make the waiting process smoother and I was treated to accurate consistent guidance. My last ones where on Phuket where they are rude, insulting, demand arbitrary things, then when have trailed around to get them, no longer want them, they compete to who can say the most insulting things to your face while your forced to smile, demand 'fees' they rapidly slide into their desk drawer and are generally just horrible people making a clerical process as tough as they can. The thinking among expats down there is they make it so hirrible, so you use 'connected lawyers' to do it for you for about 15k, a slice of which goes to paying for the new bmw the immigration officers arrive in.

Just another thing that makes me so happy to have relocated.