Rainy Season Ahead

Beng

As the rainy season normally arrives in November, there's not much time left to get ready.

The situation in central- and northern Thailand indicates, that Samui and the south could well experience a third, major flooding inside 12 months.

With power cuts and supply shortages in sight, Iet's put together a list of things to do and things to buy.

I start it off and....... be invited to add your advice.

1. Check your property's drainage ways, to avoid flooding.

2. If you can, provide storage room to people who live in flood prone areas. So they can at least move their belongings to a safe place.

3. If you own a truck, assist others, in need of moving stuff.

4. An ideal item to buy is a generator, to operate lights, phones and fans (heater fan) to keep the moisture away and communication going.

5. Always have plenty of candles at home, as they eliminate moisture too.

6. Stock up with easy to prepare food like instant noodle soups, tinned food, etc, Don't forget your pets.

Good points there Beng:

I would add:

Air out closets, hang out clothing etc in sun to totally dry and air out..

Wipe down the closets and anything wood, with plain white vinegar. (helps prevent mold). Use a sprayer with vinegar a few times a month if musky smells or white mold develops.

A light bulb in closets can help dry things out too...

Put some oil on tools (metal ones!)... to prevent rusting... and ceasing up...

Ants are starting to head inside, at least the small black ones, put sugar or anything other food, that they "attack" in a moat (use a bowl) of water...

Welly boots and an umbrella could be useful too!

I don't mean to be arguementtive here but is there any indication at all that Samui is going to have such flooding? Yes, its the rainy season coming up, sure, but has anyone seen satelite indications that it will be this severe? I've heard nothing to suggest this, but if the OP is right, thanks for the early warning

No indication it will be bad this year, if you look at historical data last years have been normal to.

http://www.tmd.go.th/programs%5Cuploads%5Cforecast%5C2011-08-29_3months_EN_123550.pdf

However certainly seems more intense and unpredicatbale, my gut feeling is it will be a non event this year and next year will be back to drought conditions.

From la nina to el nino season coming up perhaps ?

However im off to phuket in November thats the extent of my preparations .

Edited by stiggy

I don't get all this preparation stuff....I mean get to the bar earlier or buy an umbrella.....blink.gif

The secret this year is all in the shower caps for bike riding & outdoor exposure :

Ok on a serious note, sometimes access in & out is limited so:

Serviced generator & replaced old fuel.

Replenished fuel supply.

Pantry stocked.

Dog food bought extra.

Extra batteries.

Bar fridge stocked right up.

Extra cold & flue tablets.

Oh & the shower caps.

I don't get all this preparation stuff....I mean get to the bar earlier or buy an umbrella.....blink.gif

The secret this year is all in the shower caps for bike riding & outdoor exposure :

I asked my Thai friend if she wanted to walk down to the local restaurant with me one November thinking I could get some shelter under her umbrella.

No chance! She said she didn't want to get it wet.....

If you can't work with that then there is no hope.....rolleyes.gif

A ticket to the Caribbean.

6 packs of Lays....4 bars of chocolate.....plenty of water.....carton of smokes.....a few good books.

The books can be substituted for a hot Thai chick just remember to buy extra chocolate. wink.gif

Ha! that's funny, Tesco finally had their dark chocolate in stock.... today, I brought every bar on the self ....all 14 of them......:o:D

I've been watching out for them for months and months!... I think they only bring in once a year! : :bah:

Tesco finally had their dark chocolate in stock.... today, I brought every bar on the self ....all 14 of them......

Pig! And there was me thinking that if I go to London next month, I would get you a supply of Tescos dark chocolate (and some of the Green and Black's 85% too) for all your efforts on the gardening thread.;)

Tesco finally had their dark chocolate in stock.... today, I brought every bar on the self ....all 14 of them......

Pig! And there was me thinking that if I go to London next month, I would get you a supply of Tescos dark chocolate (and some of the Green and Black's 85% too) for all your efforts on the gardening thread.;)

Oink Oink!!!, yes, I felt really guilty about doing that... :D

You'd better head to Lamai, they still may have.... ??? I usually like to take a Soi 1 trip, at least once a week... so you had better hurry... of course I might do a Joe 84330 and offer them for sale at triple the price <_<

I don't remember Green and Black, just Bournville, but then I've not lived in UK for over 40 years... but you can bring back and let me try! ;)

By the way, Tesco had "western style" white vinegar on sale yesterday.. 48.50 baht for large container 2 or 3 litre... They were flying off the self .... tooo :o

On a more serious note, I think so far we can consider ourselves lucky, with the great weather at the moment, especially after reading Phuket is getting a hard hit now too... as for predictions of what will come here, I don't thing any satellite would predict into next month.

I saw the road crews were working on the drainage system beyond Tesco, Chawang, headed towards Lamai, let's hope they get that finished, just in case... heavy rains do come, certainly enough damage done in the north already....

Edited by samuijimmy

Good to keep in mind the hazards associated with natural disasters from fires and carbon monoxide. Buying some candle holders or hurricane lamps (can be just the hand blown glass containers usually used for cold drinks at roadside stalls) can prevent having a fire in your house. If you are used to cooking with electric, if you switch to gas or charcoal during power cuts make sure there is enough ventilation (not usually a problem here).

And if there is flooding, my landlord had some wise words when I was thinking of heading out in my big truck; "you may be able to drive through the water, but you won't be able to see if the road is still there!"

Hope we have enough rain to fill the reservoirs and water table without causing all the same hardship as earlier this year.

:whistling:

lanterns and oil for inevitable power outage.

dozens of new kids movies for when electric is on but the porch and yard are off limit due to high winds and rain.

paper paper and more paper and pens for when the power is out and kids can't go outside.

car battery charger for laptop, phones and ipads.

buy a couple of weeks worth of dry goods and a weeks worth of veggies and hope for the best.

Condoms, if the electric goes and have nothing to do.

make water balloons?

As a matter of fact you & PS should take that on board,we have seen the aftermath of last year's blackouts biggrin.gif

make water balloons?

As a matter of fact you & PS should take that on board,we have seen the aftermath of last year's blackouts biggrin.gif

lol

*note to self, next time the power goes out, make water balloons not whoopee

make water balloons?

lol

*note to self, next time the power goes out, make water balloons not whoopee

You were making whoopee like this character? unsure.gif

fartpants2.jpg

please don't make me use up my precious thai visa upload quota for a pictorial response, i'm trying to save it for the yeti that i know lives in the hillside behind me!

I used to use the XL in Sweden, did not know about the yeti size. :o

yeti.jpg

I've now made sure that I keep a really good tow rope in my jeep.

Mental note to self - buy a set of jump leads too . . .

R

You might want to get jump leads from a friend overseas. The Thai ones are not that great. Also - go for heavy duty ones. Much more reliable to jump start a wet truck.B)