Apology In Advance

ThePunPun

Just maybe my loss could be your gain.

We must apologize in advance to those out there who may be stopping by The Pun Pun during the next few days. As there is a holiday for the next 3 days, The Pun Pun, and Pranee in particular, will be out our booth at the Festival at Wat Kutao. Being unable to divide my wife in two, while there is a lot of hard work involved, she is having fun preparing all the exciting Shan Food for the Festival. She and staff will be manning the booth. Maybe booth is the wrong word, but more like a little shop, with all the loads of stuff she has prepared and taken down there, particularly her homemade Shan Noodle Dishes

I wouldn't ask you to call ahead to see if we are open, as I have learned from a recent past thread, that that does not please a lot of people. But, I would say to you , if you have ever tasted Shan Cooking, or thought you might like to try, please stop by Wat Kutao and seek out our shop.

We have had quite a few of TV'ers try some of her Shan stuff and the word is all positive.

If you are not sure of the location , Wat Kutao is on the west wall of the football stadium, nearby Chang Puek Bus Station The festival was a lot of fun last year and it will be even bigger this year..

Again my apologies if your visit to The Pun Pun is inconvenienced, and if you do come by and find us closed, I sincerely hope you will give us another try later.

Do try and stop by the festival, if you can

Thanks Heaps

Gonzo

Gonzo,

An excellent thread. Please can you share with us exactly which days times for the festival? The best my Shan friends could come up with was a couple of days somewhere around the twelfth! Anyway, were's sure to be there!

I'm assuming this is the festival for Auk Phansa (end of Bhuddist lent - sorry if my transliteration sucks :o ) but the Shan seem to attach some extra significance to it? Attached photos from last year (not brilliant mobile phone jobs - sorry). Absolutely packed with some great traditional Shan entertainment, and colourful costumes. We had a great time and I thoroughly recommend it!

Where is your stall, we'll happily come and say hello!

post-42325-0-41684900-1318317716_thumb.j

post-42325-0-54224700-1318317758_thumb.j

post-42325-0-95614800-1318317772_thumb.j

Yes Pagai, it was a fun filled festival last year...... very interesting stuff also.

I will try and give you directions to get to our spot. If you come into the main temple gate, now thats the one off the street on the west side of the temple, not the one that attaches to the stadium grounds, come into the temple and about 10 metres in immediately turn to your right. follow this around the zig-zag until you can make a left turn leading towards the stadium grounds. There you will find us about 20 to 30 metres in, on your right hand side.

We have only a little A4 , printed sign that sez " The Pun Pun " on it , but if you can ask where the Shan Noodle Lady's stall is, most should know how to direct you.

Don;t know if I will be there of not as I have been delegated to babysit the homestead, as there is nothing to do and I am fully qualified to do that.

But if you do get there, my wifes kname if Pranee and please introduce your self. Good Food, cheap prices. ..... and none of the run-of-the-mill street stall fare.

As best as I can tell you the time,,,,,, they should now be open [ 3 PM ] and will go til about 11 or 12 this night , I am told. Tomorrow should be all day until about midnight and then it will slowly wrap up Thursday morning with the haul your stuff home in the early afternoon Thursday..... Now thats as I understand it, but sometimes I get confusing information. But you should be safe in that time frame.

Hope to see you there

Gonzo

Now thats as I understand it, but sometimes I get confusing information.

I sure know how that one goes! Have been trying to get a straight answer for days, yours seems to be reasonably direct from the horse mouth as they say!

Thanks for the directions; If I followed you correctly that put's you somewhere opposite the south side of the main building. Will make sure to pop in and I usually have several hungry companions ;)

I am always amazed at these festivals about the enduring strength of the Shan culture and the pride these people show in it, despite the s**t that get's dished out to them both in Thailand and back in Burma. For those who don't know or understand about the Shan it's worth a visit to this fun and colourful party.

Raindancer and Pagai,, hope you don't mind me answering you here, but a couple others also need better and more specific directions

1 Map to Wat Kutao

2 Location of The Pun Pun , stall...... I hope, at least it was this morning

---- and yes Paigai, you are correct to the south side of the main bldg.

To all who took the time to ask....

Thank You

Gonzo

post-108940-0-35878900-1318324303_thumb.

post-108940-0-75661200-1318324290_thumb.

Raindancer and Pagai,, hope you don't mind me answering you here, but a couple others also need better and more specific directions

1 Map to Wat Kutao

Thank You

Gonzo

..I hope there is available a Super-Shan Breakfast..am feeling hungry..I'm on the way!

1 Map to Wat Kutao

Thank You

Gonzo

..Hey Gonzo!..good clear directions..I went..I found it..I ate..it was good food..hope others try as well..live entertainment, many stalls and lots of supressed folk putting on happy faces and making the most of it. A very welcoming and friendly atmosphere.

Edited by rodcourt49

Just a note of thanks to all who took the time to stop by.

Did have more than a few TV'ers. Thank you for patronizing our little stall.

Got eaten out of house and home, so like most others we moved everything home this morning.

Crowds, as far as numbers, were down this year, but wider menu this time made for higher revenue.

Talking to one more senior monk indicated that this year there were none of the Fang and Chiang Dao performing groups which last year drew in the crowd from those respective neighborhoods. Also many of those did in fact sleep over at the temple between the two days....

But all in all it would appear a good year, and a big thank you to all who took the time to come out. If you missed it, maybe you should consider it for a few hours, at least, next year.

..... and as a parting word, if you would like to try some of our Shan Noodle Dishes before then, just stop by The Pun Pun.

Thanks all.

Gonzo

Glad it went well. We stopped by a couple of times but you were always packed so we didn't fight through the crowds :rolleyes: seemed like you were doing excellent business. Will have to pop by the Pun Pun instead :D

Seemed quite a few less people than last year, but IIRC last year, the big day was a Saturday night.

Will you be doing Shan New Year - Pee Mai Tai - in a few weeks time?

Glad it went well. We stopped by a couple of times but you were always packed so we didn't fight through the crowds :rolleyes: seemed like you were doing excellent business. Will have to pop by the Pun Pun instead :D

Seemed quite a few less people than last year, but IIRC last year, the big day was a Saturday night.

Will you be doing Shan New Year - Pee Mai Tai - in a few weeks time?

Thanks for trying Paagai......

In answer to the New Year, I would say yes at this point..... trying to work out the details so as not to conflict with our annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey and stuffing dinner feast. Will try and keep you updated.

Thanks

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

1 Map to Wat Kutao

Thank You

Gonzo

Thanks Gonzo. Great help. Keep us people informed of new envents where you and your wife are involved.

Edited by Raindancer

• 1 month later...