One-Third Of Thailand 'Disaster' Area: Govt

webfact

One-third of Thailand 'disaster' area: govt

BANGKOK, October 12, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand on Wednesday declared a third of its provinces to be disaster zones, as auto giant Toyota called a halt to work after production was affected by the country's worst flooding in decades.

The government's move aims to speed up relief operations, as the floods have left at least 281 people dead and damaged millions of homes and livelihoods in more than two months.

"The government has announced that all provinces affected by the floods are critical disaster areas, allowing governors to exercise more authority to issue materials and manage budgets," deputy premier Yongyuth Wichaidit said.

Currently 26 out of 77 provinces are affected, while the capital Bangkok is bracing for a large amount of run-off water to reach the city in mid-October, when high tides will make it harder for the flood waters to flow out to sea.

Officials have bolstered flood defences at the main airport and other areas to shield the city of 12 million people, a number of whom have been stocking up on sandbags, non-perishable food and other essential items.

Areas just north of the capital have already seen water up to several metres deep. Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said that those living outside the beefed-up defences needed to prepare themselves for flooding.

"If inner Bangkok is flooded, it will only flood a little, but we should be concerned for those who live outside the barriers," she told the press on a visit to a flood relief operations centre at Bangkok airport.

The premier was due to meet King Bhumibol Adulyadej later Wednesday and discuss the crisis.

Japan's biggest automaker Toyota said that production at its three Thailand plants would be halted at least until Saturday.

While floods have not directly impacted its Samrong, Gateway and Ban Pho operations, Toyota said they have caused disruption to parts supply.

Operations at the three plants have been halted since Monday and the company will decide Saturday on whether to resume production.

The flooding has also stuck countries neighbouring Thailand, including Cambodia, where more than 200 people have died.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-12

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japan firms' output hit by Thai floods

TOKYO, October 12, 2011 (AFP) - Toyota on Wednesday said production at its three Thailand plants would be halted until at least Saturday, with the operations of many Japanese firms crippled by the country's worst flooding in decades.

Automakers such as Toyota, Honda and Isuzu have suspended production due to direct flood damage to facilities or because of the heavily disruptive impact of the flooding on their component supply chains.

Massive inundations have left hundreds dead across Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, with authorities stepping up efforts to reach victims of unusually heavy monsoon rains.

In Thailand the floods have damaged the homes or livelihoods of millions of people, particularly farmers, across about three quarters of the country's provinces.

Nearly 300 people have died in more than two months of floods according to the government, while more than 200 people have died in neighbouring Cambodia.

Rescue workers and government teams have scrambled to boost flood defences to prevent waters from flowing into Bangkok, the country's economic and financial heart.

Analysts say that the automakers in Thailand rely on the same kind of super-efficient "just-in-time" component supply schedules that were crippled in the wake of Japan's March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

An average car contains around 20,000 different components, and only one needs to be missing to stop production.

Japan's biggest automaker Toyota said that while floods have not directly impacted its Samrong, Gateway and Ban Pho plants, away from the worst-affected areas, "some suppliers are experiencing delays in supplying parts".

Operations at its three plants have been halted since Monday and Toyota said the suspension would continue at least through Saturday's morning shift, when the company would take a decision on whether to resume.

A Toyota spokeswoman told AFP that annual production capacity at the three plants totals 650,000 units. In 2010, the plants produced 630,000 units.

"We still cannot say how many units will be affected by the latest production halt," she said.

Toyota shares fell 0.30 percent in Tokyo trade.

In Thailand's ancient capital Ayutthaya, about 80 kilometres (50 miles) upriver of Bangkok, historic temples have been swamped and a large industrial estate, home to several Japanese electronics and auto parts makers including car giant Honda, has been flooded.

Honda said it will suspend operations at its three plants for vehicles, motorcycles and engines in Thailand -- including two in Bangkok -- at least until Friday, a Honda spokeswoman said.

Its Ayutthaya plant has an annual production capacity of 240,000 passenger and sports utility vehicles, the spokeswoman said, adding that it was unable to assess damage due to an evacuation order for the area.

The shutdown may hit the production of an estimated 4,500 vehicles and 48,000 engines, the spokeswoman said. Honda shares lost 2.21 percent to 2,295 yen Wednesday.

Mitsubishi Motors said it will suspend operations at its Thai plant, where it can produce 200,000 vehicles a year, from Thursday night to Saturday due to supply problems, expecting production to be cut by 1,500 units.

Isuzu Motors has decided to suspend operations at least this week at its plant, which has an annual production capacity of 288,000 pickup and other trucks, a spokesman said.

Nissan Motor said it has yet to suspend its plant in the country, where it produces 220,000 cars a year.

Shares in Nikon, which produces lenses and single-lens reflex cameras in Thailand, plunged 3.47 percent to 1,780 yen on investor concerns about the potential impact of the floods as it prepares for the year-end shopping season.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-12

All this and the Government will not declare a state of Emergency. Quite strange really.

What would the state of emergency do aside from suspend civil liberties? The government has all of the power it needs to mount a flood response. Aside from satisfying the desire of some to have martial law, please explain the advantages that such a declaration brings.

All this and the Government will not declare a state of Emergency. Quite strange really.

What would the state of emergency do aside from suspend civil liberties? The government has all of the power it needs to mount a flood response. Aside from satisfying the desire of some to have martial law, please explain the advantages that such a declaration brings.

What a funny comment coming from a chap whose country will declare a state of emergency at the drop of a hat! This case is nothing to do with suspending civil liberties. There are many reasons why a Government may declare a state of emergency, this is not quite the same as the red shirts burning down Bangkok is it? We are not talking about civil unrest here, or protests or curfews, we are talking about a natural disaster where if you follow the definition of a state of emergency in such conditions, it would be a Government declaration that may suspend some normal functions of the executive, legislative and judicial powers, alert citizens to change their normal behaviours, or order government agencies to implement emergency preparedness plans. It would permit local Governors (very importantly in 27 provinces at the moment), full control and discretion to use their budgets as they see fit in order to safe guard the population and other important assets. It would mobilize the military to focus all efforts on full aid to the civilian community in terms of delivering food and water and also using 'grunt' power to assist in the construction of facilities to help prevent/minimize the effects of flooding. Having typed all of that out I cannot believe that you of all people do not know it.

To be quite honest, of all the people I encounter on Thai Visa, I am staggered you raised the question.

Edited by Scott

It is strange that looking at the flood maps upriver of the Chao Phraya from Bangkok seems to be backed up.

It is like the river goes through a bottleneck in Bangkok.

One would think BKK It is almost intentional that the other provinces are flooded but not Bangkok.

Is the government purposely trickling the river flow before it gets to Bkk or is there some kind of bottleneck in Nonthaburi?

Most of the canal levels I've seen in Bkk are pretty normal for the rainy season. Not much difference since last year's levels.

The flooding in Bkk I've seen like in Ratchada, etc. I think is just from bad infrastructure, clogged canals, clogged sewer drainage pipes, or either low level homes.

Like those houses that are below street level and those roads that are below the canal level.

I can't believe and don't see 1-2 meter floods in central Bangkok.

I live in Thawi Watthana and unlike the news reports say, the roads here are pretty dry.

Even the canal water level seems to be ok, not unusually high or anything.

Edited by mdechgan

What wpuld the state of emergency do aside from suspend civil liberties? The government has all of the power it needs to mount a flood response. Aside from satisfying the desire of some to have martial law, please explain the advantages that such a declaration brings.

From what I understand the state of emergency allows for them to access funds that is not normally available. Martial law is important when you have to force people from there homes when they don't want to leave and to deal with looters. I am not sure how Thai law is but I do believe it allows them to access the military. Also emanate domain can be done with out court rulings I am sure the list does go on.

It is strange that looking at the flood maps upriver of the Chao Phraya from Bangkok seems to be backed up.

One would think BKK It is almost intentional that the other provinces are flooded but not Bangkok.

Is the government purposely trickling the river flow before it gets to Bkk or is there some kind of bottleneck in Nonthaburi?

Most of the canal levels I've seen in Bkk are pretty normal for the rainy season. Not much difference since last year's levels.

The flooding in Bkk I've seen like in Ratchada, etc. I think is just from bad infrastructure, clogged canals, clogged sewer drainage pipes, or either low level homes.

Like those houses that are below street level and those roads that are below the canal level.

I live in Thawi Watthana and unlike the news reports say, the roads here are pretty dry.

Well it rained like hell ahead of the high tide today, but no serious flooding in "inner Bangkok", even down by the river. Half an hour it was gone.

Well it rained like hell ahead of the high tide today, but no serious flooding in "inner Bangkok", even down by the river. Half an hour it was gone.

That is what I'm saying. I just don't see how the Chao Phraya can flood up north yet Bkk is pretty dry. There has to be a bottle neck or diversion somewhere.

That is what I'm saying. I just don't see how the Chao Phraya can flood up north yet Bkk is pretty dry. There has to be a bottle neck or diversion somewhere.

It was mentioned elsewhere on the site yesterday that the Government will flood other areas of Thailand in order to save Bangkok. Suffer the poor people!

It was mentioned elsewhere on the site yesterday that the Government will flood other areas of Thailand in order to save Bangkok. Suffer the poor people!

If the government thinks like this might as well just dam up the river.

It would allow Bkk more land to develop and less traffic since most of the bottlenecks are near the bridges.

It would allow Bkk more land to develop and less traffic since most of the bottlenecks are near the bridges.

Can't fault your logic!

Do you think it has anything at all to do with the 300-meter levee breach at Nakhon Sawan (image 1) that led to extensive flooding (image 2)? I guess I'd call it a 'diversion' instead of a 'bottleneck'. How was it that you missed this massive and disastrous flooding in Nakhon Sawan?

Isn't the title of this topic indicating that 1/3 of Thailand is a 'disaster' area? How can Bangkok get any serious flood water when the other provinces are hogging it all (not giving Bangkok it's 'fair share')?

post-120659-0-08604600-1318427643_thumb.

post-120659-0-11362800-1318427703_thumb.

Edited by MaxYakov

Can't fault your logic!

Surely you two jest. Does something 'mentioned' on this site make it True? Dam up the Chao Phraya?! This would be a pretty over-the-top jest. Funny thing is ... I don't think you two are jesting-around, given the 'Suffer the poor people!" statement.

Check my response to mdechgan, and then tell us the 300-meter levee breach at Nakhon Sawan was a Government conspiracy to 'save Bangkok'.

Do you think it has anything at all to do with the 300-meter levee breach at Nakhon Sawan (image 1) that led to extensive flooding (image 2)? I guess I'd call it a 'diversion' instead of a 'bottleneck'. How was it that you missed this massive and disastrous flooding in Nakhon Sawan?

Isn't the title of this topic indicating that 1/3 of Thailand is a 'disaster' area? How can Bangkok get any serious flood water when the other provinces are hogging it all (not giving Bangkok it's 'fair share')?

What I am getting at is why is 1/3 of the country flooded yet Bkk remains relatively dry.

Especially when Bkk is right at the mouth of the river.

What I am getting at is why is 1/3 of the country flooded yet Bkk remains relatively dry.

Especially when Bkk is right at the mouth of the river.

You answered you own question (in bold). Whether by intent or accident, much of the country now serves as a big flood plain...

Saving Bangkok has always been the policy. Unfortunately, they have drowned some important industrial estates during the process. Those mostly foreign corporations are probably losing billions of Baht, and I would be surprised if some of them won't disappear to other countries soon. This flood might very well repeat itself next year, and the only thing the government here seem to do is to build permanent and temporary embankments through Bangkok, hoping that they can save the homes of the rich and influential.

If there really is a migration of foreign industries, the long term loss for Thailand will be countless billions of Baht and hundreds of thousands will be without a job (Western Digital alone has 37,000 employees in Thailand, and the computer storage industry exports for around 500 billion Baht per year if my memory serves me right). Not a very bright future for a country that faces increasing competition from neighbouring countries, now probably including Myanmar.

Edited by zakk9

You answered you own question (in bold). Whether by intent or accident, much of the country now serves as a big flood plain...

But wouldn't Bkk be the first to flood if the river would start to back up at high tide.

That is if the riverflow was not blocked in anyway. Could it be that the river was not flowing correctly and did not flow to the ocean fast enough for some reason.

Could it be that if they called a SoE? at some stage they might have to call in the in The Army to help out in various ways?

I don't think the Government would like thousands of troops on the street and in the villages (especially official Red villages),it would make them too nervous,after the last Coup!

Could it be that if they called a SoE? at some stage they might have to call in the in The Army to help out in various ways?

I don't think the Government would like thousands of troops on the street and in the villages (especially official Red villages),it would make them too nervous,after the last Coup!

But what's so diabolical about their objections isn't that the Army will assume power; that's just not going to happen under these circumstances. PTP's main objections are that the Army might be humanized and seen as benefactors to the citizenry. PTP has alot invested in demonizing these folks and they'd rather people die than have that illusion they've worked so hard to create debunked.

But what's so diabolical about their objections isn't that the Army will assume power; that's just not going to happen under these circumstances. PTP's main objections are that the Army might be humanized and seen as benefactors to the citizenry. PTP has alot invested in demonizing these folks and they'd rather people die than have that illusion they've worked so hard to create debunked.

No, no, no. The real reason not to declare a SoE is because it could cause panic among tourists. We can't have that of course, heaven forbid :rolleyes:

" Wed, Oct 12, 2011

The Nation/Asia News Network

Thai floods: No public holidays or emergency rule declared

The Thai govt yesterday rejected the proposal to declare the rest of the week as a public holiday or declare a state of emergency because it might cause panic among tourists. -The Nation/ANN"

http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20111012-304552.html

No, no, no. The real reason not to declare a SoE is because it could cause panic among tourists. We can't have that of course, heaven forbid :rolleyes:

" Wed, Oct 12, 2011

The Nation/Asia News Network

Thai floods: No public holidays or emergency rule declared

The Thai govt yesterday rejected the proposal to declare the rest of the week as a public holiday or declare a state of emergency because it might cause panic among tourists. -The Nation/ANN"

http://www.asiaone.c...012-304552.html

"Army chief Prayuth met by angry red-shirts" I recommend people check out this BP article. Not only for the Red Shirts reaction to the Army's lifesaving assistance but to read Khun Thida's hypocritical / ironic comments.

No bottle neck or diversion.

Simply put, the Chao Phraya is contained by floodwalls in Bangkok and there is an elaborate system of pumps, gates, canals and underground drainage tunnels that have, so far, proven effective at preventing any serious flooding in the capital.

The question remains, can the system cope with the triple threat of run off from the north, a high tide from the south and heavy rains? Runoff and tides can be measured and modeled, but rain is a variable that makes it nearly impossible to give a definitive answer.

In fact it's raining quite hard right now here in Wang Thong Lang...

Good luck everyone!

Saving Bangkok has always been the policy. Unfortunately, they have drowned some important industrial estates during the process. Those mostly foreign corporations are probably losing billions of Baht, and I would be surprised if some of them won't disappear to other countries soon. This flood might very well repeat itself next year, and the only thing the government here seem to do is to build permanent and temporary embankments through Bangkok, hoping that they can save the homes of the rich and influential.

If there really is a migration of foreign industries, the long term loss for Thailand will be countless billions of Baht and hundreds of thousands will be without a job (Western Digital alone has 37,000 employees in Thailand, and the computer storage industry exports for around 500 billion Baht per year if my memory serves me right). Not a very bright future for a country that faces increasing competition from neighbouring countries, now probably including Myanmar.

Using Myanmar is perhaps a poor choice as the Irawaddy delta usually suffers worse flooding than Thailand...

tp080509_02e.jpg

Yes, surely the army could be a big help as is the case in every country where there is a natural disaster.

Do you watch Thai news? The Royal Thai Army IS helping as they always do... They have been evacuating refugees with army boats and trucks and are using their helicopters to drop food and aid to stranded residents.