More Flooding In Cnx?

kalbo123

On most places, sandbags are stiil out, the government placed a wall between Narawat bridge and the Iron bridge and some other low places along the river.

The Mae Taeng reservoir is still full, and we expect have rains this coming weekend, the level of the Ping is low, but can it deal with the upcoming rain?

What do the TV readers think, should we worry or is Chiang Mai save?

Edited by kalbo123

Nice enough out here in Mae-On.

Picked up a new pump at Global yesterday and if feeling energetic will "do"the pool tomorrow..

Weather today was beautiful and seems that all the mossies have taken a holiday which cant be bad. :unsure::unsure:

Usually fly up but since we are here for a month we got the bus up from Bangkok the other night and although it took a slightly different route ..bit longer ...no probs.

The serious rain is done; ambient water temp's lower and you'll start to notice it drop off pretty quick at night. The switch always comes around this time, mid- to late October. If it now pisses down and floods, blame it on La Nina. ;)

"The Mae Taeng reservoir is still full, and we expect have rains this coming weekend, the level of the Ping is low, but can it deal with the upcoming rain?"

What I don't understand is why don't they release a little bit of water at a time / every day ..? Why do they wait till it's bursting at the seams and then release it like deluge which cause flooding..? Especially now that heavy rains are in the forecast ...???:rolleyes: why don't they just release some of it every day ...?

I wouldn;t worry either unless your house or hotel is in a known area that is likely to flood.

To be honest though I think we're done for this year. Next: hot weather until the cool season starts. You heard it here first.

Well, we got that tropical storm hitting the NE this weekend, but I tend to agree. The way it feels, rainy season may be over.

The serious rain is done; ambient water temp's lower and you'll start to notice it drop off pretty quick at night. The switch always comes around this time, mid- to late October. If it now pisses down and floods, blame it on La Nina. ;)

Except last year when it rained till December.

"The Mae Taeng reservoir is still full, and we expect have rains this coming weekend, the level of the Ping is low, but can it deal with the upcoming rain?"

What I don't understand is why don't they release a little bit of water at a time / every day ..? Why do they wait till it's bursting at the seams and then release it like deluge which cause flooding..? Especially now that heavy rains are in the forecast ...???:rolleyes: why don't they just release some of it every day ...?

The big weir and new works just south of the inner ring road seem to be designed to keep the water level up in the city rather than down. It wouldn't be good for farming or fishing to have a dry river bed, so I think that is the greater hazard they are considering (I'm assuming tourism isn't much of a consideration!) with the occasional giant flood caused by erring on full rather than empty.

Although I agree it wouldn't have taken much judgement to have averted much of the flood with the incoming weather known at the time, I don't think that is where we are now.

Had to smile at the old historical houses along the river bank raised up on stilts having no worry at all while the modern stuff got swamped. I heard hundreds of years ago the Thais kept to the old city and let the farang of those days the Lao and Myanmar people live in the flood plain.

..as of Midnight last night 12/10 evacuations had commenced northern outskirts of Bangkok.

I got this information from the Transportation Information Centre that has been set up at Chiang Mai Airport courtesy of AOT.

They have a four hourly update service. There are also contact numbers in the attachment.

For yous information

post-3017-0-15635600-1318463693_thumb.jp

Except last year when it rained till December.

It may have rained on some days, but it certainly wasn't continuous and of the monsoonal type. Being in the sub-tropics, it can rain at any time, yes, but the cool season is always upon us right about now.

I wouldn;t worry either unless your house or hotel is in a known area that is likely to flood.

To be honest though I think we're done for this year. Next: hot weather until the cool season starts. You heard it here first.

You said the same thing last year, but nothing happened....This year I think it is the same, no hot weather :)

The big weir and new works just south of the inner ring road seem to be designed to keep the water level up in the city rather than down. It wouldn't be good for farming or fishing to have a dry river bed, so I think that is the greater hazard they are considering (I'm assuming tourism isn't much of a consideration!) with the occasional giant flood caused by erring on full rather than empty.

Although I agree it wouldn't have taken much judgement to have averted much of the flood with the incoming weather known at the time, I don't think that is where we are now.

Had to smile at the old historical houses along the river bank raised up on stilts having no worry at all while the modern stuff got swamped. I heard hundreds of years ago the Thais kept to the old city and let the farang of those days the Lao and Myanmar people live in the flood plain.

I don't think I'm allowed to paste anything from the Bangkok Post so anyway just go on line and read Smith Dharmasarojana's comments of today on the flood situations of the past month,,, it says it all and I totally agree with him.

Edited by annabel

You said the same thing last year, but nothing happened....This year I think it is the same, no hot weather :)

Temperature in noticeably dropping and the Ping River is way down. A thought for those down south some who have been flooded for up to 6 weeks. A former colleague tells me today the supermarkets in Bangkok have virtually been cleared out and price gouging rampant. What this will cost the Thai economy is anyones guess.

Drove over Nawarat Bridge and turned left down past Riverside & Goodview earlier today. They were putting sectional concrete walls along the edge of the road with sandbags behind it on the river side of the wall. This was near the bridge where it is at it's highest so maybe they are expecting some serious flooding coming or maybe they are being overly cautious.

I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

Drove over Nawarat Bridge and turned left down past Riverside & Goodview earlier today. They were putting sectional concrete walls along the edge of the road with sandbags behind it on the river side of the wall. This was near the bridge where it is at it's highest so maybe they are expecting some serious flooding coming or maybe they are being overly cautious.

I drove by about 4pm today, and they were picking them up with a large truck. I thought about taking a picture, but too much traffic :)

I drove by about 4pm today, and they were picking them up with a large truck. I thought about taking a picture, but too much traffic :)

That's not correct I'm afraid, in fact what they were doing was completing the run of concrete blocks from just North of the bridge to the Wawee coffee shop next to Riverside, I live three blocks away from there and just checked on my way home a few minutes ago.

That's not correct I'm afraid, in fact what they were doing was completing the run of concrete blocks from just North of the bridge to the Wawee coffee shop next to Riverside, I live three blocks away from there and just checked on my way home a few minutes ago.

That's what I find a bit strange aswell. Why at the end of the rainy season put those concrete walls out?

They might know something we don't know yet? Maybe open the dam? Maybe the weather forecast is really that bad?

Think we can only wait and see....

Edited by kalbo123

Some of it may be political in nature, the good folks of Bangkok are reported to be less than happy with the current government as a result of the flooding, perhaps by erecting the concrete wall along the river here the people will be inclined to remember that their government really does care, even if the wall is a complete waste of time!

Okay, sorry for my mistake, but it is the end of the season and I don't understand why they are still up, either :huh: