Thai Govt Faces Growing Pressure: Flood

webfact

Govt faces growing pressure

The Nation

30167746-01.jpg

Inner city safe from floods, says Pracha; PM soothes rural anger

As the nation's capital and most important economic zone, Bangkok must not be allowed to flood, the head of national flood-relief efforts said yesterday.

"We have given priority to Bangkok. We must protect it," Justice Minister Pol General Pracha Promnok said yesterday in his capacity as the head of the Flood Relief Operation Command (FROC).

He offered a guarantee that Bangkok's inner zones would be safe. "Only the outer zones will be affected," Pracha said. "We will push water out to sea via three main channels." A surge in run-off water from the upper part of the country is expected to reach the capital today amid concerns that, coupled with downpours and a high tide, it will cause Bangkok to flood catastrophically, as has occurred in Nakhon Sawan and Ayutthaya.

While relevant authorities are now going all out to save Bangkok, flood victims from many provinces attacked the government's decision to prioritise the capital.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday sought to appease disgruntled upcountry residents. "The government is concerned about people in all provinces. It's not about preferential treatment. But we need to protect the economic zones," she said. She emphasised that Bangkok was the heart of Thailand's economy. "We need to join hands" in protecting the economic zones, she said.

Royal Irrigation Department director-general Chalit Damrongsak said his department had ensured that dams released the smallest amount of water possible.

"The Bhumibol Dam has now lowered the volume of water discharge to about 60 million cubic metres a day," he said.

He said the flood-water level in Nakhon Sawan had stopped rising. "It's bottomed out," he said.

Chalit said that when the run-off water reached Bangkok this weekend, the water level in the Chao Phraya River was expected to reach between 2.3 and 2.4 metres. "The embankment is as high as 2.5 metres," he added, "so Bangkok should be safe."

To minimise the possibility of comments or remarks by politicians and government agencies causing confusion or panic, official statements from the FROC will now be made by Pracha only. In particular, statements announcing emergencies or urgent situations will only be made on TV Pool channels.

Asked about the danger of any more inaccurate statements causing a level of doubt among the public that could lead to dangerous delays in acting on valid information, Yingluck said: "This occurred only once, and I will address the issue internally to sort it out."

Bangkok city clerk Charoenrat Chutikarn said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) would take care of residents of the capital during the crisis.

"We are going to be the main pillar. The Bangkok governor has told all directors of Bangkok's district offices to stay calm and manage the situation efficiently. The country has already suffered enough from the leadership vacuum," he said in a thinly veiled attack against the central government.

Pracha said there were now three important floodwalls for the capital. One is in Pathum Thani's Muang district. This floodwall is now under the supervision of the Royal Thai Army.

Another is situated along the Taweewattana Canal along Bangkok's border with Nakhon Pathom's Salaya district.

The other one is located along a portion of Rangsit Prayoonsak Canal. "Another floodwall is going up along another portion of this canal. The construction of the floodwall will be completed within two days," he said.

Meanwhile, Army commander General Prayuth Chan-ocha said Army engineers were dredging three major canals in Samut Sakhon to speed up drainage of water out to estuaries. He said the dredging should be completed in the next five days and it is expected to convey the water faster.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-15

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there by any chance Southern Thailand will be expecting a flood this very coming 1-2 months? I got mixed answers from the local people. No one is 100% certain. Anyone care to shed some light on it ?

AFAIK no more than usual. But don't ask about next year, that bloody film has a lot to answer for!

Is there by any chance Southern Thailand will be expecting a flood this very coming 1-2 months? I got mixed answers from the local people. No one is 100% certain. Anyone care to shed some light on it ?

Like the rest of Thailand, the Southern parts gets severely flooding every year. Absolutely no indication that this year should be any better, but - in light of whats going on now - one might suspect that it would be even worse. Furthermore, while the worst usually is over in the North and central regions by mid November, the worst might not be over until mid Januaruy in the South. So, how do you expect anyone to give you that 100% insureance that no flooding will occur in the south the next few months, you apparently is fishing for?

Flood Relief Operation Command ( FROC ) -- you'd be better off calling it the Flood Relief Operation Group ( FROG ) under the current circumstances, you'd stand a better chance. " Not about preferential treatment but we need to protect the economic zones " -- PM. " We have given priority to Bangkok. We must protect it " -- Justice Minister. No priority or preferential treatment there then.....Rural ecomomies don't rate the same treatment then ? These people will just be left to pick up what pieces are left, if any, and try and rebuild their lives while the economic barons will be sitting high and dry in their luxury homes and apartments . " What, the limo got flooded ? Well go and buy a new one " :sick:

Edited by finnomick1

I have been surprised, it has been pretty dry down here but then again we did have a flood about 6 months ago. There is no reason why we should flood from Nov to Jan as historically those months are pretty dry here and the weather is normally beautiful. I guess we will see with changing seasons and all that. It would be difficult to see a flood in the south this year being as devastating as the one in the North has been. It is becoming nothing short of a tragedy for those people that have been inundated for almost two months now. I am just amazed that there has not been an epidemic of serious illness. Keep everything crossed, because if the South does have serious flooding then Thailand will have had most of the countries basic food crops wiped out for 12 months.

Flood Relief Operation Command ( FROC ) -- you'd be better off calling it the Flood Relief Operation Group ( FROG ) under the current circumstances, you'd stand a better chance. " Not about preferential treatment but we need to protect the economic zones " -- PM. " We have given priority to Bangkok. We must protect it " -- Justice Minister. No priority or preferential treatment there then.....Rural ecomomies don't rate the same treatment then ? These people will just be left to pick up what pieces are left, if any, and try and rebuild their lives while the economic barons will be sitting high and dry in their luxury homes and apartments . " What, the limo got flooded ? Well go and buy a new one " :sick:

I am outside the econmic zone's and i understand that they want to keep Bangkok dry. Here the road is flooded getting deeper and deeper every day. The village is sandbagged, so far no flooding inside yet.

Still i understand the reasons for keeping bkk dry.

There's no effort to pump water out of areas It's typical of Thailand , Politicians and bureaucrats going around looking concerned appearing on TV, everything thats representative of Thailand. Image not substance or action The saddest thing is the Thai people could demand better but they don't so nothing will ever change

Edited by KKvampire

There's no effort to pump water out of areas It's typical of Thailand , Politicians and bureaucrats going around looking concerned appearing on TV, everything thats representative of Thailand. Image not substance or action The saddest thing is the Thai people could demand better but they don't so nothing will ever change

Its all up to village or muh bahn heads. Here the guy is great, get a report every morning. Asks for donotion for extra pumps (donated a lot). Asks for volunteers to sandbag stuff. He rented a excavator to build high sand walls.

Nothing much done by the government here, wish they let the army help. There is good material there and lot of people. Yingluck is just affraid that then people wont see the army as the bad guys. Also she would loose face. Rather let people flood then loose face.

In places sand bags are broken down that are vital by villagers. Sand bags that protect area's but the villagers are selfish.

You are ignoring the fact that there are millions of average folk in Bangkok as well as millions of poor people who are working their butts off, but barely keeping their heads above water.

I am outside the econmic zone's and i understand that they want to keep Bangkok dry. Here the road is flooded getting deeper and deeper every day. The village is sandbagged, so far no flooding inside yet.

With an awful lot of work and effort and just a little bit of thought, a lot of areas would be dry now -- and a lot of these areas would be wet ( ie have water ) in the dry season but Thai's in general don't think. They let whatever happen then try to get back to normal. It'll never change except of course, in Bangkok where millions upon millions will be spent. We ALL want to be dry and safe, but I still think concentrating on the one area stinks.

With an awful lot of work and effort and just a little bit of thought, a lot of areas would be dry now -- and a lot of these areas would be wet ( ie have water ) in the dry season but Thai's in general don't think. They let whatever happen then try to get back to normal. It'll never change except of course, in Bangkok where millions upon millions will be spent. We ALL want to be dry and safe, but I still think concentrating on the one area stinks.

Sure it does but i think that this time it will be better. But the changes that are made now might mean BKK will get more water.

Just curious.... speaking strictly in terms of facts.... have the government's recent efforts to do things actually succeeded in protecting anywhere from flooding as yet?

The news this morning seemed a long litany of places where the government's and Army's attempted emergency measures had tried and failed to keep the water out of various places, including the various major industrial estates in Ayutthaya. Is there any success story anywhere?

Fortunately in BKK's case, it has pre-existing permanent flood walls that hopefully will do the job for the main part of the city. So I'm not talking about situations where there were pre-existing flood control structures in place that are doing or did the job they were designed to do.

But when the government officials repeatedly say.... we're making all out efforts to save such and such a place... And then that fails... And then they move on to the next place... And that fails... It's not exactly confidence inspiring.

Similarly, to see the Army saying they're now working to dredge canals along the eastern part of BKK to speed the flow of water to the see, and should be finished in 5 days..... It makes one wonder.... why no one had thought to undertake such measures BEFORE so they could have helped during the critical periods.... not AFTER they've already passed.

You have to look at it in economic terms. It is the taxes paid by the businesses in BKK, that supply the funds, to pay for the populist policy bribes, that induce the people of the north to vote for the idiots that are now in power.

Or, you could look at this way; if PTP weren't going to spend B410 billion on a rice subsidy scam, there might be some funds in Treasury for flood mitigation work, and perhaps even a little left over to improve the education system.

BTW Of the millions of people in BKK, I would safely say that 99.9999% do not own a limo, and that 99% don't own a car/pickup.

I would have thought the PM would have been emphasizing that the efforts to keep Bangkok water free is because Bangkok is the most densely populated part of the country and serious flooding may have results in hundreds of thousands, or millions of new flood victims.

However it seems money and the economy was the main reason ....

They put a plug (central bangkok) in the Chao Praya. The natural flow is blocked. What do you expect, the water has to go somewhere. They forgot that they needed bigger canals around Bangkok or thought it was too expensive. I can imagine people destroy the dykes to protect their houses.

They put a plug (central bangkok) in the Chao Praya. The natural flow is blocked. What do you expect, the water has to go somewhere. They forgot that they needed bigger canals around Bangkok or thought it was too expensive. I can imagine people destroy the dykes to protect their houses.

Then they just put other people at risk. My house outside of BKK is at higher risk because people were destroying dykes. Can i understand it.. maybe. Do i hope they get stopped.. certainly. Its better for a few to suffer then for everyone.

So far here the pujay bahn has been great, collecting money and buying pumps and sandbags. Telling people what to do giving out information. Government did not do a thing it all came from us. Just one more week to see if it paid off. Must say he showed leadership.

They're all doing their best in a tough situation.

Even so, in Thailand: "impressions are more important than reality" ......that's what got PT elected, and that's what will keep them popular.

Unluckily for the peoples affected by the floods, (which this government were warned about long ago) Their "best" is nowhere near good enough..! Placing your friends into important positions in the government is a recipe for disaster. Not one of Yinlucks ministers was the right man for their job... Its called cronyism... A Comedy of errors..!

Yesterday I rechristened Bangkok as Bangcork.

Looking at the flood situation as we have traveled to and from Isaan , it is very noticeable that the great move for equality party has certainly protected the super elite in Bangkok at the expense of those living outside of Bangkok.

I really liked the appeal for funds from private individuals, one is led to wonder when the somewhat more effluent affluent members of the current administration might take a lead in providing both financial and moral support for those they claim to represent.

Upon arriving home our neighbor told us how some taxi drivers were refusing to use meters and tripling fares as there were problems regarding flood conditions. so good to see the grass roots skimming their fellow citizens off having no doubt taken the lead from the elected bunch of cronies we now see in office.

No national disaster policy, no co-ordination of effort, a police force that is totally inept in providing information and traffic management information, the full moon plainly affected the Science minister as(s) we all have seen and heard.

At last a new hub for Thailand, ''The hub of incompetence."

Edited by siampolee

Yesterday I rechristened Bangkok as Bangcork.

..........those lame photo opps are quite nauseating.........play the fiddle as Rome burns.....I am 'stressed out of my tree' not knowing if the flood waters may come rushing down the street any minute and wipe out so much of what I own....seeing a toothy smile and a wai does not reassure me in any way.......it is so detached from reality

Edited by SOTIRIOS

Even so, in Thailand: "impressions are more important than reality" ......that's what got PT elected, and that's what will keep them popular.

Soooo!!!!!! you are implying that PT is in government under fase pretenses then!!! We all know that they lied and adopted false and flawed populist policies and shouldn't be in power "in reality", as you put it!!!!:jap:.

As to them staying popular, I wouldn't be too sure of it as they seem to be upsetting a lot of people lately - left right and centre!!!

Unluckily for the peoples affected by the floods, (which this government were warned about long ago) Their "best" is nowhere near good enough..! Placing your friends into important positions in the government is a recipe for disaster. Not one of Yinlucks ministers was the right man for their job... Its called cronyism... A Comedy of errors..!

"A comedy of errors indeed"

Only it isn't funny!!!!:lol: well OK it is funny then!!:D.

The cabinet is a complete bunch of cronyist bozzo's, with several of them admitting that they haven't got a clue about what they are doing or are supposed to be doing - not quite true as some of Thaksin's old police chums or schoolmates have been told "to do everything you can to get my brother back" and they are exploring all avenues in order to do this (at break neck speed as well)!!!!:jap:. Yingluck's "not a priority" seems to have leapt up the list to be the only priority - apart from trying to find a way to wiggle their way out of those false promises she made pre-election!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

There has been several fights breaking out with people one side of the hastily put up dykes working furiously to save their land and property from the expected water flows whilst the people the other side have been dismantling them as fast as they can so that everyone is affected equally!!! Someone was even shot the other day after tempers got a bit overheated!!!!

Whatever happened to neighbourly love?????:blink:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

If Bangkok is flooded, then everyone in the country loses -- this is where Thailand meets the rest of the world, where export deals for produce are hammered out, where the service industries all operate, where foreign companies run their regional operations, all of which benefit everyone indirectly.

It's also a major tourist hub, and the image of a flooded Bangkok will do nothing for the tourist industry as a whole, nor would the inundation of the airport. And it is much easier and cheaper to pump out some rai of rice paddy than to clean up the MRT after flood waters get in there.

It is absurd to suggest that Bangkok is being saved simply for the benefit of its residents.

Rick Bradford # 28

And it is much easier and cheaper to pump out some rai of rice paddy than to clean up the MRT after flood waters get in there.

Why don't you go and spout your sanctimonious pompous arrogant self serving rhetoric in front of some poor rice farmers and others who have lost their all, whose houses are submerged and their contents and their lives ruined by flood water, their farm machinery ruined. Small business concerns wiped out and see what you may well get in return

Those are the people who are at the front line on the flooding battle lines.

I have seen houses submerged people living in their cars and trucks, makeshift shelters by the roadside having lost all they ever had.

I am sure you would find that your theory, would if you were lucky, would only land you in the local I.C.U. or more likely a body bag if the truth be known.

Edited by siampolee

The responsibility of preventing Bankok flooding would actually lay in the hands of local Government authorities i.e. The Governor or Mayor and not Central Government.

As the Major of Bangkok is still a Democrat it could be argued that it is in fact the Democrats responsibility and not PTP.

This is also probably the reason Abhisit teamed up with Yingluck and why resident Abhisit cheerleaders have NOW stopped criticising and blaming PTP for Bangkok flooding.

Just in case you didn't realise yet.

Edited by monkfish