How To Get A Dog Off The Streets?

madmitch

I have had three customers bitten by dogs in the past few months. It's been in the same place, close to the local 7-Eleven so a well-trodden route, and probably the same dog but I can't be sure of that.

There are no doubt others who have been bitten as well, unless my guests are just unlucky.

I'd love to get this dog and the small, generally lazy pack that hang around off of the streets but how do I go about it? The GF will do all the work if it involves Thais, e.g. at the Tassabaan, or do I contact the Soi Dogs Foundation?

Anyone got any bright ideas that don't involve poison, shotguns or knives?

Dogs go after people they don't like, or don't like them it seems. I rarely get chased by a dog on my motorbike. If I do, I stop. The dog stops too. I've never been biten either. If you kick at a dog, they will try to bite you. It seems to be usually more about the way people act than the dog...

If you don't know the dog actually responsible, I doubt Soi Dogs will be able to help - although I hope I'm proved wrong.

V odd - soi dogs are normally incredibly gentle and friendly as they know that is the only way they stand any chance of getting food.

Soi Dog will not just pick up and home stray dogs unless they are in urgent mediacal need or at danger from their imediate emvoirment, if they did they would need a compound the size of Samui to house them.

They will be happy to de sex them and return to their area which keeps out new stays for taking the territory, 30some thousand dogs done so far this way. This might calm them down a bit too.

Are the dogs stray? Where do they get food? They probably have a sort of Thai owner that feeds them a little rice now and then. I reccomend you make enquiries.

If you want the contact details for Soi Dog PM me,

My landlord is a vet with the Phuket Provincial Livestock Department so I asked him about what could be done about your problem. His English is so so but I was able to get some info. He said that while his office did at one time collect and euthanize unwanted strays, (reflected in the link I posted above) but there was such a backlash from the public, as many saw that counter to Buddhist beliefs, that they terminated the program. Now, even if they know the dog is vicious, it cannot be euthanized, but it can be removed and put it in doggie jail. He said there is a kennel of sorts in Phangna where they are taken but of course it is always overcrowded, but again, his office doesn't deal with that any more. They do still have sterilization campaigns for dogs and cats, but that is about it.

If it's owner can be identified then that's a different story. They can approach the owner and potentially charge them with a crime, and also have them pay for whatever action is taken with the dog. But, he said, the problem there was the owners would simply deny ownership. If it is a stray, then capturing the dog is no longer part of the PPLD progams. It's up to the local municipality, and he said some municipality's are equipped to remove dogs, others have no program, so it depends on where your located. He said Kathu and Rassada (Phuket Town) are able to capture strays, Wichit and Karon do not, for example.

He stressed that without being able to identify the actual biting dog, there is little that can be done though legal channels. If you can ID it and take a picture of it you may have a chance of getting it removed by your municipality.

If you want to PM me I will give you his number if you have a Thai that can talk to him, maybe you can get better info. As I said his English is so so and I probably don't have the complete story.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

lol thais and buddhism.. this is not against buddhism.. buddah knew reincarnation was real.. the dog would simply get born on a higher frequency after thus giving him a chance of advancing spiritually and becoming one with the universe

saddens me how thais think buddhism is a religion. its a teaching.

lol thais and buddhism.. this is not against buddhism.. buddah knew reincarnation was real.. the dog would simply get born on a higher frequency after thus giving him a chance of advancing spiritually and becoming one with the universe

saddens me how thais think buddhism is a religion. its a teaching.

will these soi dogs that are biting madmitch's customers be reborn to a higher frequency?jap.gif