What'S The Name Of Road/Buffet Place On Rd To Doi Suthep?

buripuk

I'm really rubbish at remembering names.

I'm trying to tell a friend of this really good Thai buffet place. You leave the moat on rd going to Doi Suthep (shopping centre with bowling is there on the left) then i'm sure it's the first left at the traffic lights and it's a little bit down that rd on the right. It's a really good buffet with an upstairs part (that's cheaper I think than downstairs) and it also has a band every now and again.

Can anyone help?

Don't worry, there's lots of maps..................

Sounds very much like Huay Kaew Rd to me, and the oddly designed shopping mall on the left is Kad Suan Kaew.

Left at the first lights along there will be Sirimanklajaan Rd, and a very little bit down on the right is the entrance to a big square of restaurants. These include La Vie en Rose, West's and many other places. But i don't recall a double decker buffet.

Maybe some bigger spenders can take up the hunt for this one for the OP.................?

I'm thinking that yes, he's talking about Sirimangkalajan off Huay Kaew. The problem is that I think he's recommending Soom Sabai Moo Kataa which closed and then got demolished about 6-10 mo's (@ about Soi 17? closer to the hosptial end than Huay Kaew end). THat place had been open for like 20 yrs... can't beleive they packed it in. But there was never a sign saying where they'd moved to if they did. The owner was on in his years when I met him about 7 yrs ago, but he had children who could have taken over.... that place had a steady following among the Thais for sure.

If you just want to send you r friend to a Thai Moo Kattah buffet, there are plenty around town - right outside the Sriphoom corner of the moat, behind Hillside 4 off of Huay Kaew, one just opp the outside of the moat as you approach the city from the southwest headed north - it's just past the gas station on your left. Many choices.

Anyone know where Soom Sabai went ? I might have to type that one out and do a search in Thai, I'm thinking......

m m

re ... Dave2 will have a photo too I'm sure

nahhh sorry ... im as lost as the op with those directions : (

but if you turn left off huey k road by the now closed amari rincome hotel

and look around there you might find it

dave2

post-42592-0-93792200-1318809796_thumb.j

I'm thinking that yes, he's talking about Sirimangkalajan off Huay Kaew. The problem is that I think he's recommending Soom Sabai Moo Kataa which closed and then got demolished about 6-10 mo's (@ about Soi 17? closer to the hosptial end than Huay Kaew end). THat place had been open for like 20 yrs... can't beleive they packed it in. But there was never a sign saying where they'd moved to if they did. The owner was on in his years when I met him about 7 yrs ago, but he had children who could have taken over.... that place had a steady following among the Thais for sure.

If you just want to send you r friend to a Thai Moo Kattah buffet, there are plenty around town - right outside the Sriphoom corner of the moat, behind Hillside 4 off of Huay Kaew, one just opp the outside of the moat as you approach the city from the southwest headed north - it's just past the gas station on your left. Many choices.

Anyone know where Soom Sabai went ? I might have to type that one out and do a search in Thai, I'm thinking......

Actually RTD I think it was more like 14 months ago that Soom Sabai packed it in. We used to go there often. It has been gone a long time now...

Yeah. I ate there maybe a month before they closed - nothing to indicate that it was singing its swan song. Sad to see it gone, but the town has a bunch of them. The are quite a few notable hmu kattah places all around us. Not to mention that Thai friends or families are seemingly always willing to throw a hmu kattah party if you ask or help buy the ingredients. It's way fun to do in a home setting.

And yeah, maybe they demolished the place awhile ago (14 mn's!). You know.... most of the last couple years events all slide into one big mix of details.

If I want to really show someone how over-the-top the buffets and Thai experience can be I'll go to Sukhanta behind Hillside. I enjoy all of the other things they put out on the long tables too - alot of great fish dishes and other Thai staples. But it can get so loud when there's entertainment - but again that's part of the Thai 'Wow!' factor.

For quiet and a decent buffet at a reasonable price close to the city, Chumpeh right there at the NE corner of the moat is perfectly fine.