Driving To Luang Prabang

Thetyim

Has anyone here driven to Luang Prabang ?

I always thought the roads were too bad in Laos for anything but a 4WD but I notice that Budget Car Rental are giving a recommended 8 day trip going to LuangPrabang from Phitsanulok and using a 2WD Chevvy Zafira.

They advice entering via Nong Khai and exiting via Huai Kone (nan)

Sounds like a nice round trip . I want to go.

So, anyone done it, what are the roads like and was the paperwork easy ?

Has anyone here driven to Luang Prabang ?

I always thought the roads were too bad in Laos for anything but a 4WD but I notice that Budget Car Rental are giving a recommended 8 day trip going to LuangPrabang from Phitsanulok and using a 2WD Chevvy Zafira.

They advice entering via Nong Khai and exiting via Huai Kone (nan)

Sounds like a nice round trip .  I want to go.

So, anyone done it,  what are the roads like and was the paperwork easy ?

I was there a few years ago, just a few weeks after that attack on a bus by bandits that killed several people, including 2 cyclists from France. Soldiers were stationed every kilometer or so to help protect vehicles traveling to LP (starting 20 or 30 KM before getting to LP). I heard of another attack a few months after I was there.

The road is in great shape, but security is questionable...But what a beautiful place to visit!!!!

These attacks are not well reported. There was a guy on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree who was reporting a lot of these events. He lives in LP. Not sure if he is still online, but it might be worth a post there as well...

I did that trip a couple of years ago, but in one of the tourist minibuses rather than driving, so I don't know anything about the paperwork side of things.

The condition of the roads is fine (much better than Cambodia!), though there's limited visibilty due to fog when you're high in the mountains. It's very scenic in the north, with spectacular views and passes through lots of little hill tribe villages too.

But Route 13 (from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang) which you'd have to drive along to get there is still regarded as pretty dangerous though. As craig mentioned, Hmong rebels killed 12 people including a couple of tourists there a couple of years back and there's reported banditry there too. When I was there I saw quite a few guys on the side of the road with AK47s along some parts of the roads, and government soldiers along other stretches. One of the Hmong guys with his gun aimed vaguely in our direction tried to flag us down to hitchhike! The driver tossed packs of cigarettes to some of the soldiers, to keep them happy I guess. There was the occasional checkpoint along the way too.

I think really it's quite hard to know just how dangerous it is or isn't, as Laos tries to keep news of attacks under wraps. I can't say I ever really felt in danger, but nonetheless if it was me I'd certainly think twice about driving there.

Just seen this, the US state department's advice about driving in Laos...

The number of road accidents and fatalities in Laos has risen sharply in the last decade as the number of motor vehicles has increased.  Reliable statistics are not available, but the rate of traffic fatalities in Laos is likely higher than in the rest of Southeast Asia and much higher than the rate in the United States. U.S. citizens involved in traffic accidents have been barred from leaving Laos before paying compensation for property damage or injuries, regardless of who was at fault.

Traffic in Laos is chaotic and road conditions are very rough.  Few roads have lane markings.  Where lane markings, road signs, and stoplights do exist, they are widely ignored. Many drivers are unlicensed and uninsured.  Driving under the influence is not uncommon and there may not be any penalties for such offenses. Theoretically, traffic moves on the right, but vehicles use all parts of the road.  Cyclists pay little or no heed to cars.  Motorcycles carry as many as five people, greatly impeding the drivers' ability to react to traffic.  The evening hours are particularly dangerous.  Road construction sites are poorly marked, appear with no advance warning, and can be difficult to see at night.  Roads are poorly lit, many vehicles have no operating lights, few bicycles have reflectors, and trucks without reflectors commonly park on unlit roads.

Just like Thailand really :o

I am going out there on Thursday with the “Jeep Jamboree Thailand” club. It’s a fully organized 4 days trip going out from Bangkok to Nan, Luang-Prabang, Nong-Kai and back to Bangkok. If you own your own Jeep you are welcome to join. This will be my first time, but I know the club goes every year. Will post another answer when I’m back next week.

Yes please Braverman, let us know how it goes.

Terdsak, do you mean a group of vehicles or a group of people ?

Maybe George would sponsor us if we promised to bring back 50 cases of Beer Laos

The itinery I was talking about is here if you are interested

http://www.sportperiod.com/es2asg005/packmul009.html

Bit of both mate, can certainly store a few crates of beer in the back of my motor. Maybe in the new year while it's still cool. I'll be busy before then. Bring the wife and kids too, as 'er indoors wouldn't let me go alone!!!

Would have to miss out a load of the temples on the link though mate.