Iphone 4S

techno

I asked today and was quoted 42,000 baht... So around a 20k premium for not waiting until the Thai release, which should be early next year.

The main problem is that these are not factory unlocked.

At the very least wait until it's available contract free in the USA, Singapore, and HK (I think that's all end of the month). Then get a factory unlocked one.

Paying through the nose for the latest is OK but if you get a locked phone for it - no matter how they made it work in Thailand - then it's a bad deal. Particularly if you can get a pristine factory unlocked one a week or so later.

You also need to consider service. I have an unlocked 3GS I purchased in Hong Kong that developed the home button problem, and even though I purchased AppleCare for it, Apple won't touch it since I'm here in Thailand. The only way to get warranty/AppleCare service for an iPhone in Thailand is to purchase it through one of the carriers.

Sucks, but that's the way it is. So I'll wait for the official rollout.

I asked today and was quoted 42,000 baht... So around a 20k premium for not waiting until the Thai release, which should be early next year.

The main problem is that these are not factory unlocked.

At the very least wait until it's available contract free in the USA, Singapore, and HK (I think that's all end of the month). Then get a factory unlocked one.

Paying through the nose for the latest is OK but if you get a locked phone for it - no matter how they made it work in Thailand - then it's a bad deal. Particularly if you can get a pristine factory unlocked one a week or so later.

Not disputing that sane people wait for the normal price, but that 42K gray import would not be locked to any provider of course; you would be able to use it with any provider. (You would of course check this when purchasing, by popping in your SIM card.)