The Dark Side Is The Plaice

glanville63

Yesterday after playing golf, my buddies and I dropped into a new eating place, located on the north side of Lake Mabprachan. In the past it went by the name of The 9999 Bar and is located about half a click around the lake from Siam Country Club Road on your way to Khun John's. The new owners have renamed it The Lakeside Chippy and I must say we were not disappointed. We had an ample portion of dory in a lovely batter, not too thick and a good portion of real chips, freshly cooked, not those frozen immitations. They were delicious. They also have battered sausages, steak and kidney pies, chicken and mushroom pies and some indian curry dishes which you can have with rice or chips or even half half. The nice thing is that the beers are so cheap. A small Leo cost me 32 baht and the other beers were equally cheap. I believe they're open from 12noon till 10pm. I'll certainly be going back next time we're playing golf over that side.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know there are a few chippies in Pattaya but the ones I've tried have been pretty naff, have given small portions and they don't have the cheap beer that this one offers. The fish and chips at The Lakeside Chippy was second to none, believe me.

believing you is the problem glanville, its just too glowing a report to be made by anyone thats anything else but the owner or a friend of the owner.

good luck with your promotion though.......

Yes I know there are a few chippies in Pattaya but the ones I've tried have been pretty naff, have given small portions and they don't have the cheap beer that this one offers. The fish and chips at The Lakeside Chippy was second to none, believe me.

Is it expensive? Jolly Friar in Pattaya at 100 Baht for a small Dory and small chips ( which is still as much as I can eat) is pretty tasty and best value to my mind. If the Lakeside can compete on price instead of the usual 200 Baht plus for everything I'll give it a go.

I paid 150 baht for the dory and chips and I was pushed to finish it. Plaice was 200 baht including the chips. In reply to "timekeeper", I'm certainly not the owner. I just like to give some credit where it's due.

Edited by glanville63

So, how about giving us the price for the fish & chips? I'm not going to drive out there for a 32 bhat Leo.

So, how about giving us the price for the fish & chips? I'm not going to drive out there for a 32 bhat Leo.

OK, looks like we posted at the same time. Thanks for the prices. I think I'll stick with the Jolly Friar as I almost have my "loyalty card" filled!

I paid 150 baht for the dory and chips and I was pushed to finish it. Plaice was 200 baht including the chips. In reply to "timekeeper", I'm certainly not the owner. I just like to give some credit where it's due.

ok glanville, not the owner,

i noted you did not deny being a friend of the owner

so you are a friend of the owner ?

If you're ever heading up Pratumnak Hill way there's a place on the left called Seaside Fish and Chips that is good, 149 Baht for F&C & mushy peas.

Why would i want mushy peas with my fish and chips (fries)?

Is the place by the lake enclosed with air-conditioning? If not, that explains the relatively cheap prices.

If you're ever heading up Pratumnak Hill way there's a place on the left called Seaside Fish and Chips that is good, 149 Baht for F&C & mushy peas.

Is the place by the lake enclosed with air-conditioning? If not, that explains the relatively cheap prices.

No no FarangBuddah, CHIPS is what you get with fish, FRIES are what you get at these americanised places like McD, big difference!!:lol:

Mushy peas are all the rage apparently. When I was a boy in The Valleys, we took our fish and chips home wrapped up in news paper. I'm afraid there's no aircon at this establishment but there's a nice breeze that comes across The Mabprachan Lake.

Mushy peas...done right...maybe with a bit of mint.....were a revelation to me I must admit. I've had crap mushy peas too though......who has the best mushy peas then?

Mushy peas are all the rage apparently. When I was a boy in The Valleys, we took our fish and chips home wrapped up in news paper. I'm afraid there's no aircon at this establishment but there's a nice breeze that comes across The Mabprachan Lake.

Mushy peas...done right...maybe with a bit of mint.....were a revelation to me I must admit. I've had crap mushy peas too though......who has the best mushy peas then?

They still serve fish and chips in newspaper as far as i know....cannot see them giving you plates to take home your grub smile.gif

Mushy Peas proper northern food Smokes,just like black peas with vinegar! good old stodge,,, mint in mushy peas must be a cockney thing eh?

cod-and-chips-with-mushy.jpg

EVERYBODY should want mushy peas with. fish and chips - please NEVER call proper chips 'fries' :bah:

glanville63, sssshhhhh its my local, yes its the best fish and chips about but its also my local watering hole. maybe its because he worked in michilin star restuarant and owned couple of hotels before he came here. was in one today off third road as i was in the area and it will be the last time. lakeside chips are the real mcCoy as in not out of a bag in a feezer, chips as they should be. but at 40 baht for san mig and good expat crowd with a view straight over the lake dont want it getting to popular. best have it timekeeprs way who has never been there and tried them and has a problem believing people.

Fish & Chips should look something like this:-

Crinkle cut chips is an offence......pair that with non mushy peas and you've offended half of Yorkshire! ohmy.gif

I can live with offending ALL of Yorkshire :D - Makro crinkle cut chips are the best consistent choice I have where I am.

Beer battered Dory with 12mm crinkle cuts and Nookies mushy peas are the best substitute in Isaan that I can get for, what I was brought up on, Chip Pan Alley in Skeggie.

glanville63, sssshhhhh its my local, yes its the best fish and chips about but its also my local watering hole. maybe its because he worked in michilin star restuarant and owned couple of hotels before he came here. was in one today off third road as i was in the area and it will be the last time. lakeside chips are the real mcCoy as in not out of a bag in a feezer, chips as they should be. but at 40 baht for san mig and good expat crowd with a view straight over the lake dont want it getting to popular. best have it timekeeprs way who has never been there and tried them and has a problem believing people.

dear marston,

you are making ASSumptions and only ASSes make ASSumptions

'''best have it timekeeprs way who has never been there and tried them and has a problem believing people''

marston, i can walk to the 9999 mini mart from my house and over the years, i have done so on very rare occasions to get unforeseen needed supplies but did not feel inclined to stay for a beer even when the only choice was going home to the stimulating company of the wife's visiting family

i could join the crowd of expat cheap charlies that inhabit the plaice (pun intended) but i choose not to

the fact that its morphed into a Lakeside chippy AND the 9999 minimart in the last two weeks with a little sitting area outside, does not make it any more attractive to me (sows ear/silk purse)

having said that, the fish and chip area's concrete seats look marginally more inviting than the big red high chairs that you 32 baht Leo boys with the tough tonka trucks covet so much

the cooling breezes ''straight over'' from the lake, i get for free everyday, not from the 45 degrees angle to it on a dust bowl corner, overlooking more grass than there is water

so as familiarity breeds contempt, the view or breeze such that it is at 9999, is not quite as appealing for me, as it clearly is for you

however, that said i hope it works for him/her (whoever it is and there are a few contenders in this thread), in fact i hope it grows into much more of a restaurant than the cheap charlie drinker it is now

i might try it then, as it is, i personally i would rather drive for 30 minutes right past 9999 minimart into town to the Jolly Friar/Village Chippy/Gooses to get my occasional Brit feed and avoid the expat BS banter that so adversely affects my appetite ............

Edited by timekeeper

Crinkle cut chips is an offence......pair that with non mushy peas and you've offended half of Yorkshire! ohmy.gif

I can live with offending ALL of Yorkshire :D - Makro crinkle cut chips are the best consistent choice I have where I am.

Beer battered Dory with 12mm crinkle cuts and Nookies mushy peas are the best substitute in Isaan that I can get for, what I was brought up on, Chip Pan Alley in Skeggie.

i love Skeggie

Butlins, Ingoldmells Beach, caravans as far as the eye can see......

i love Skeggie

Butlins, Ingoldmells Beach, caravans as far as the eye can see......

Yeah I hear ya cardholder....enjoy....smile.gif

dear marston,

'''best have it timekeeprs way who has never been there and tried them and has a problem believing people''

marston, i can walk to the 9999 mini mart from my house and over the years, i have done so on very rare occasions to get unforeseen needed supplies but did not feel inclined to stay for a beer even when the only choice was going home to the stimulating company of the wife's visiting family

i could join the crowd of expat cheap charlies that inhabit the plaice (pun intended) but i choose not to

the fact that its morphed into a Lakeside chippy AND the 9999 minimart in the last two weeks with a little sitting area outside, does not make it any more attractive to me (sows ear/silk purse)

having said that, the fish and chip area's concrete seats look marginally more inviting than the big red high chairs that you 32 baht Leo boys with the tough tonka trucks covet so much

the cooling breezes ''straight over'' from the lake, i get for free everyday, not from the 45 degrees angle to it on a dust bowl corner, overlooking more grass than there is water

so as familiarity breeds contempt, the view or breeze such that it is at 9999, is not quite as appealing for me, as it clearly is for you

however, that said i hope it works for him/her (whoever it is and there are a few contenders in this thread), in fact i hope it grows into much more of a restaurant than the cheap charlie drinker it is now

i might try it then, as it is, i personally i would rather drive for 30 minutes right past 9999 minimart into town to the Jolly Friar/Village Chippy/Gooses to get my occasional Brit feed and avoid the expat BS banter that so adversely affects my appetite ............

Well Said TimeKeeper. You have described the place to a Tee....

dear marston,

You could always take your plates for them to warm as you live so close,then walk home alone with your fish and chips without speaking to anyone.

No need to make a big issue about people who drink outside who most probably you know nothing about and accuse of chatting shit.....oh intellectual one blink.gif i see.

dear marston,

You could always take your plates for them to warm as you live so close,then walk home alone with your fish and chips without speaking to anyone.

No need to make a big issue about people who drink outside who most probably you know nothing about and accuse of chatting shit.....oh intellectual one blink.gif i see.

I didn't see him say that the expats were "chatting shit" - I believe that was YOUR phrase.

If the cap fits..........................