Which Real Ales Would You Love To Have In Thailand

nong38

I used to like going into the Imperal in Exeter (Wetherspoons) they used to have an ale brewed especially for them called "Imperiale" it was a local brewery from Devon cannot remember which one but an excellent drop of the real thing, not a session beer!

The Royal Oak ex Eldrige Pope was brewed by O'Hanlons, used to be in Honition but I heard they moved to Exeter. I remember getting it at Waterloo station, fine drop of stuff..

Anyone remember "Old Speckled Hen" ? Remember getting a cask conditioned version in Los Christianos, Tenerefe.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing I also miss the BEER EX specials that preserved railway lines used to run and still do. Usually have a Beer Festival with on board barrels through out the day and in the evening have good bash whilst riding up and down the line in the evening. very popular indeed. The Devon Diesel Group recently ran one of these events and on their website had a full list of all the wonderful beers on offer, worth a look I think the website was devondiesels.org.uk or similar, have a poke around see if you can find it.

Boddingtons, Pedigree or Jennings.

Even a straight forward pint of Tetleys would do :)

I'm not sure Boddingtons or Tetleys qualify as REAL ale.

However I know for a fact that cans of Marstons Pedigree are available in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, around B130 for 500ml I think, which is probably about what you'd pay for a pint of the stuff in the UK. Boddingtons and Tetleys also available here in one form or another and I recall seeing London Pride in bottle form too. Pretty good selection of delicious (and generally strong) bottled Belgian beers here too. Beer Lao Dark, B65 for a small bottle, is ok as well and quite strong (which I like).

Boddingtons, Pedigree or Jennings.

Even a straight forward pint of Tetleys would do :)

I'm not sure Boddingtons or Tetleys qualify as REAL ale.

However I know for a fact that cans of Marstons Pedigree are available in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, around B130 for 500ml I think, which is probably about what you'd pay for a pint of the stuff in the UK. Boddingtons and Tetleys also available here in one form or another and I recall seeing London Pride in bottle form too. Pretty good selection of delicious (and generally strong) bottled Belgian beers here too. Beer Lao Dark, B65 for a small bottle, is ok as well and quite strong (which I like).

Tommy - Belgian beers, now you are talking. They are a different kettle of fish.

I'm across the ocean, but believe or not, there's a real ale in Thailand that I really miss, and it's been a year since I last visited. At the Pullman Raja Orchid in Khon Kaen you can walk into a nice lounge near the lobby and order a cold Dunkel. I can buy two bottled Dunkels here in Canada imported from Germany, one from Erdinger and the other from Weihenstephaner, and I don't find either anywhere near as good as the fresh brewed draught from that Khon Kaen hotel. That's how great it was.

Following is a list of my favourite beers from around the world. Needless to say, I keep adding to it.

Canada:

Ontario:

Black Creek Porter

Denison’s Weisbier Bavarian Style Wheat Beer

Quebec:

Dieu du Ciel Aphrodite

Dieu du ciel Blanche du Paradis (blonde, almost citrus flavoured)

Dieu du ciel Route des Epices (peppercorns)

Belgium:

Leffe Brune

St. Bernardus ABT 12

Germany:

Aecht Schlenkerla Raucbier - smoke beer

Aventinus Weiszen Eisbock

Kostritzer Schwarzbier - hint of chocolate with a little bitter aftertaste

Paulaner Salvator

England:

Dark Star Espresso

Fullers ESB

Fullers London Pride Porter

Newcastle Brown Ale

Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout

St. Peter’s Winter Ale

Young’s Double Chocolate

Scotland:

Belhaven Scottish Stout

Caledonia Brewery 80 Shilling

Innis & Gunn

Traquair Jacobite Ale

Iceland:

Olvisholt Brugshus Lava Smoked Imperial Stout

Japan:

Hitachino Nest White Ale - blonde, refreshing citrus taste

New Zealand:

Renaissance Stonecutter Scotch Ale

Sri Lanka:

Sinha Stout

U.S.A.:

Dogfish Head 60 minute

Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout

Bass Ale, Marston's Pedigree, Ind Coop's Burton Ale, and the other famous one from Burton on Trent that I can't remember now...

and to top off, Timothy Taylor's Landlord... the Lord of all real ales...

oh, and also Harvey's Special from Lewes in E.Sussex...around Brighton you just say: 'pint of Special, please...'

believe it or not there's real ale pub in Derby called the Railway Tavern that used to have all the Burton on Trent beers AND Tim Taylor's Landlord...couldn't see the sky for all the CAMRA anoraks and beards...

http://www.beer-pages.com/protz/features/rail-ale-derby.htm

Bass Ale, Marston's Pedigree, Ind Coop's Burton Ale, and the other famous one from Burton on Trent that I can't remember now...

oh, and also Harvey's Special from Lewes in E.Sussex...around Brighton you just say: 'pint of Special, please...'

believe it or not there's real ale pub in Derby called the Railway Tavern that used to have all the Burton on Trent beers AND Tim Taylor's Landlord...couldn't see the sky for all the CAMRA anoraks and beards...

http://www.beer-page...l-ale-derby.htm

The Brunswick Inn...that's the place; coulda sworn that it was called 'Railway...' something or other, maybe because it's at the end of a terrace of railway cottages...

and as per usual it's gotta be that goddam endure from Derby givin' me a showin' up...:)

The Brunswick Inn...that's the place; coulda sworn that it was called 'Railway...' something or other, maybe because it's at the end of a terrace of railway cottages...

and as per usual it's gotta be that goddam endure from Derby givin' me a showin' up...:)

The Railway Tavern is the one directly opposite the station.

The Railway Tavern is the one directly opposite the station.

yeah, that place is a dump...ye gotta exit the station to the right and walk to get to the Brunswick...they got a patio without tables or chairs outside where folks just stand around with their pints...as I remember quite nice on a clear day in the winter when the sun was low in the afternoon...

Only one, Coopers Sparkling Ale brewed in Adelaide, Australia. Naturally fermented in the bottle, So beautiful , but quite strong . Sumptuous .

Readily available in Bkk, in fact not only is the red label you refer to available so are the green label (pale ale) and the yellow label (stout) also available.

Depending on where you buy I have seen it priced from 109 baht per bottle to as low as 59 baht, after confirming the price was 59 baht I asked the girl to give me 4 cases.

She looked at me as if I was stupid.

This was for the regular 375ml size bottles.

I'll go along with meat boy and nong38 Brains is a 'good un', to many and it didn't do the brain much good in the morning,no wonder they called it skull attact.

i dont know if the mods will let me slip this one in[thatchers bottled cider 7%] only drink i have fallen down when drinking.:D

Watney's Red Barrel!!

it used to make me sick,but nobody told me you wasnt supposed to drink the barrel in one session :bah:

I remember in 'british' themed bars in LA that useta sell that swill and pass it off as 'real' English beer...:bah:

I'll have a cheeseburger and a tall bud, please...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Watney's Red Barrel!!

it used to make me sick,but nobody told me you wasnt supposed to drink the barrel in one session :bah:

I remember in 'british' themed bars in LA that useta sell that swill and pass it off as 'real' English beer...:bah:

tutsi, this may well be a first for me, defending American beer, I would rather have a Pabst Blue Ribbon than drink that horsepiss, put it in the same bucket as such swill as Double Diamond, <deleted> the Bud tallboy, just make it a double cheeseburger.

Watney's Red Barrel!!

tutsi, this may well be a first for me, defending American beer, I would rather have a Pabst Blue Ribbon than drink that horsepiss, put it in the same bucket as such swill as Double Diamond, <deleted> the Bud tallboy, just make it a double cheeseburger.

yeah...Pabst ain't a bad brew...my dad useta drink that and Schlitz...

Watney's Red Barrel!!

now the memories come flooding back double diamond oh what piss,evans and bevans another one the best mem.i had was at the double diamond night club in caerphilly south wales them back lanes behind the rows of terraced houses saw some action,i wonder where gwyneth is now :unsure: