Suvarnabhumi To South Bus Terminal (Sai Tai Mai)

JayBlake

After clearing immigration/customs etc., walk out of the terminal, avoiding taxi touts. Look for the free intra-airport bus, there are express and all-stop services, leaving every 10 min or so (in the middle of the day). Get off at the Public Transport (bus) hub - this is actually where the bus will terminate. Walk on a little (50m), and there are a series of signposted services. To Sai Tai there should be a 500 something-number (large orange) bus, leaving every 40 min or so. Ticket sellers for other services will be able to point the way. Tickets are 40-50B. By now, there may also be minibus services running between SaiTai and the airport, not sure...

The problem at present will be diversions due to flood waters on the roads... The bus drivers will be up to date on getting from A to B. I am sure the trip is do-able, might throw the journey time out beyond 90 min, however.

Good luck, I have no idea about my intended trip MoChit to SaiTai on Sunday, just have faith in local knowledge

After clearing immigration/customs etc., walk out of the terminal, avoiding taxi touts. Look for the free intra-airport bus, there are express and all-stop services, leaving every 10 min or so (in the middle of the day). Get off at the Public Transport (bus) hub - this is actually where the bus will terminate. Walk on a little (50m), and there are a series of signposted services. To Sai Tai there should be a 500 something-number (large orange) bus, leaving every 40 min or so. Ticket sellers for other services will be able to point the way. Tickets are 40-50B. By now, there may also be minibus services running between SaiTai and the airport, not sure...

The problem at present will be diversions due to flood waters on the roads... The bus drivers will be up to date on getting from A to B. I am sure the trip is do-able, might throw the journey time out beyond 90 min, however.

Good luck, I have no idea about my intended trip MoChit to SaiTai on Sunday, just have faith in local knowledge

Thanks aarn,

Perfectly answered. Much appreciated.

I hope and expect the water will have mostly gone by the time I arrive in two weeks.

Good luck with your own trip.

Mo Chit - Sai Tai Bus 170 from the local bus station part of Mo Chit. Takes about 45 minutes in reasonable traffic. Price somewhere around B14-18. Air-con.

Hope this helps.

bus No 556

WRONG! This bus has been withdrawn fronm this route a YEAR ago-on the suv.phumi airport forumpart I have posetd a thorough update a month or 2 ago. Alweays onder how long old ideas survive on the average TV-poster-sometimes years after deleting. And when it did still ran, it wass like ev 2 hrs at last period.

If someone asks for sai Thai-always state first what your final destinatyion is-there may be many other ways avoiding this faraway terminal.

bus No 556

WRONG! This bus has been withdrawn fronm this route a YEAR ago-on the suv.phumi airport forumpart I have posetd a thorough update a month or 2 ago. Alweays onder how long old ideas survive on the average TV-poster-sometimes years after deleting. And when it did still ran, it wass like ev 2 hrs at last period.

If someone asks for sai Thai-always state first what your final destinatyion is-there may be many other ways avoiding this faraway terminal.

Thanks asanee,

Have done as you suggest:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/506828-suvarnabhumi-to-kanchanaburi/

Hey what about the Express Train or City train to Makassan (90/30 THB) and then board bus 516, I think, an "orange " bus. This bus will be slow, 90 minutes +, as it crosses central BKK, but will be comfortable, air-conditioned, cheap and you'll probably be able to get a seat; I think the ticket was 23 THB! I did it the other way last week. I was travelling with a big bag and that can be a problem on the vans; they often want you to pay for a second seat for big luggage. Not so on the buses and trains. Worked very well.

wrong. The blue bus number 556 has been discontinued. the orange bus number 556 which replaced it is going strong. perhaps your thorough update was not thorough enough?

bus No 556

and it runs every 30 mins or so

wrong. The blue bus number 556 has been discontinued. the orange bus number 556 which replaced it is going strong. perhaps your thorough update was not thorough enough?

bus No 556

Hmmmm. Having done a bit of searching, I understand that the logistics of this is not very attractive.

Leaving home at 5:00am (UK time), 3 flights (to London, to Dubai, to Bangkok) arriving at Suvarnabhumi next morning at 6:30am (UK time).

Then having to get from the airport to the Transit Centre (no idea how long that will take).

Then the killer - it's been estimated that the #556 takes between 90mins to 2hrs (dependant on traffic) to get from the Transit Centre to Sai Tai, Southern Bus Terminal.

That's before the two/three hour onward bus journey followed by a further baht-bus trip from bus station to door.

Needs a rethink, I guess.

Yeah I'd park up in BKK for a day on arrival!

Not an option, I 'm afraid, on this trip. But thanks for the suggestion.

Not being funny, but why modern cities can't get their transport systems connected is beyond me.:huh:

An average 8 year old could point out that ALL bus stations should be able to almost seamlessly connect with ALL underground train systems and ALL elevated train systems and ALL overground rail systems and ALL airports and All river transport systems. In other words, transport systems should (and quite easily could) physically integrate (we can worry about the ticketing integration later).

The mind boggles.:annoyed:

Little wonder the world is in such a mess when the great and the good can't even get half-a-dozen coloured crayons out and make connecting lines with them on a piece of paper.:(

If time is of the essence then I would suggest the simplest thing would be to take a taxi to Kan. They'll give you a price at the taxi meter rank at the airport. I'd expect to pay in the region of 2000 THB, I fully understand you not wanting to do the cross country trip involved to get to Sai Tai Mai on top of your flight.

556 runs only from Makahasan terminal to Sai Tai, not from the airport.

Yes, that's been established but does anyone know what the nearest BTS or MRT terminal to Sai Tai Mai is?

Hmmm..

After clearing immigration/customs etc., walk out of the terminal, avoiding taxi touts. Look for the free intra-airport bus, there are express and all-stop services, leaving every 10 min or so (in the middle of the day). Get off at the Public Transport (bus) hub - this is actually where the bus will terminate.

Public Transport (hub).....AKA "City Air Terminal" Makhasan.

Hmmm-hmmm.;)

I see now that the terminalology has confused you.

Best for you to take a taxi to the bus station.

Problem solved, so thanks to everyone who offered their help.

I've decided to take another route due to total no-marks like "ricklev" insisting upon scoring schoolkid "ner ner de ner ner....I know more than you do" points rather than offering assistance.

Thanks again to all that did offer help. It is appreciated.

Get a life ricklev.

Or continue making a complete dick of yourself.

Up to you, as they say

Edited by JayBlake

556 runs only from Makahasan terminal to Sai Tai, not from the airport.

Yes, that's been established but does anyone know what the nearest BTS or MRT terminal to Sai Tai Mai is?

Actually, I went out of my way to assist you by attempting to inform you again that the 556 doesn't go to the airport. That was me trying to help you. Posting for no other reason than to offer you assistance. My sole motivation being to stop you from making the trip to the transport center carrying luggage only to discover that there was no 556 bus there.

I didn't realize that you were confused about where the intra-airport bus goes.

"Public Transport (hub).....AKA "City Air Terminal" Makhasan."

Acting out of your your (completely understandable) confusion, you rejected my assistance in a rather rude manner.

A unfortunate misunderstanding.

Have a good trip!

Edited by ricklev

The sum total of your earlier input follows:

"556 runs only from Makahasan terminal to Sai Tai, not from the airport".

"Yes, that's been established but does anyone know what the nearest BTS or MRT terminal to Sai Tai Mai is?

Hmmm.."

"I see now that the terminalology has confused you.

Best for you to take a taxi to the bus station."

Too late to shed the "dick" tag, now, mate.

All you offered was a "ner ner ner de ner ner" ("I know more than you know") set of replies.

You may know more than me on this particular subject but, rest assured, I know more than you on others (and so it goes on and on and on).

Difference is that I'd help without needing any quid-pro-quo or ego massaging in return.

Why is it that so many people have such low self esteem that they seek to make themselves look BIG by making another look SMALL?

Sad.

So sad that you're indicative of contemporary society, especially with regard to the Internet community.

quote name='duncanb' timestamp='1319212808'

WRONG again-thats why I once decided not to post on TV again-those endless furhter questions and sometimes people who just post to pass time- all those expats claiming to know it all better-and in the end they do not and anything has to be translated by mrs. Thaiwife.

Clearly you were confused to route 555-runs ev 40/45 mins, a tiny differecne in nr, but a big one in destination: to Don Muang and Rangsit. In NORMAL times-as Rangsit-depot is flooded now.

556 has indeed changed its temporary blue/cream buses for the slightly newer all-orange. AFTER it has -on /1/11/10- a year ago, changed its inner city terminus to Makkasan.

It is of no need at all to- and ALSO to be so blatant impatient and Un-Thai pointing out assumed ''deficiencies'' as JayBlake does to people who spend time to help, in asking what is closest by. Sai Thai is some 20 kms away from the nearest BTS/MRT-and in BKK roads and traffic far outweigh a few km.

And this posting for those who might even read it; since the odd day the SaiThai has been moved to flooding to a temporary place along Ram II-at Holland beergarden, near to Central/BigC. That is not on any normal tourist mapo. Useless to ask about Bts etc-though Wong Wien Yai is closest by-and you then have to brave flooding.

FROM Swampy to THIS- TEMPORARY-terminal there is a direct citybus, nr 558, fairly often even, but an awful long ride via Bang Na and the ex-way, from Swampy's BUSterminal. at least 80-90 mins.

Also citybuses 140/141/142 pass it, as does 76 (Silom). 140 runs via exway from Vic Monument and passes Phyyathai on its way. BMTA says it also provides some free buses, but does not say to where

quote name='duncanb' timestamp='1319212808'

WRONG again-thats why I once decided not to post on TV again-those endless furhter questions and sometimes people who just post to pass time- all those expats claiming to know it all better-and in the end they do not and anything has to be translated by mrs. Thaiwife.

Clearly you were confused to route 555-runs ev 40/45 mins, a tiny differecne in nr, but a big one in destination: to Don Muang and Rangsit. In NORMAL times-as Rangsit-depot is flooded now.

556 has indeed changed its temporary blue/cream buses for the slightly newer all-orange. AFTER it has -on /1/11/10- a year ago, changed its inner city terminus to Makkasan.

It is of no need at all to- and ALSO to be so blatant impatient and Un-Thai pointing out assumed ''deficiencies'' as JayBlake does to people who spend time to help, in asking what is closest by. Sai Thai is some 20 kms away from the nearest BTS/MRT-and in BKK roads and traffic far outweigh a few km.

And this posting for those who might even read it; since the odd day the SaiThai has been moved to flooding to a temporary place along Ram II-at Holland beergarden, near to Central/BigC. That is not on any normal tourist mapo. Useless to ask about Bts etc-though Wong Wien Yai is closest by-and you then have to brave flooding.

FROM Swampy to THIS- TEMPORARY-terminal there is a direct citybus, nr 558, fairly often even, but an awful long ride via Bang Na and the ex-way, from Swampy's BUSterminal. at least 80-90 mins.

Also citybuses 140/141/142 pass it, as does 76 (Silom). 140 runs via exway from Vic Monument and passes Phyyathai on its way. BMTA says it also provides some free buses, but does not say to where

What is the current status of this bus terminal. Is there an address in Thai that can be given to the taxi driver? Are all buses operating normally? Is there a phone number that can be used to check schedules?

What is the current status of this bus terminal. Is there an address in Thai that can be given to the taxi driver? Are all buses operating normally? Is there a phone number that can be used to check schedules?

as reported before-there are-as of yet-no changes seen.

THINK. Use brains-do NOT panic-really, you do not have to know all+everything-this is Thailand-5 mins do not matter.

ANY taxidriver will know the current situation-they have a special radio for taxis (also very good for retrieving lost objects etc) and know even better as newspprs or all those wiseguys on TV. Just tell him the final destination and he deliver-and will know what roads to avoid due to floods.

NO-as this place is a lot smaller, in fact just an open-air field with temp. signs etc-and demand has fallen enormously-there will be fewer buses.

Fone? Speak Thai? Why not think again and tell essentials for a proper answer. Or search for emergency nrs somewhere in the main news on TV and follow that up. Or simply ask tourist-info on arrival airport.

Again; NO panick-there are no reprots of whiteys getting lost in BKK's suburbia becse they did not happen to know each+all beforehand.

I had taxi drivers refuse to take me to the real Sai Tai Mai station, because they didn't know the way. So I doubt that any driver in the current situation can find this temporary station.

Since the amount of buses have decreased, it would be nice to know the phone number to I could check schedules beforehand.