Thai PM To Ask Bangkok To Open All Floodgates

webfact

Miracle Thailand

SNAFU and FUBAR spring immediately to mind. This has the makings of an unmitigated balls-up.

I wonder if this has been thought through in terms of impact? How much of Thailands communications infrastructure is dependent on underground cables runningt through the city??

Or is it just another case of 'it doesnt matter what we do as long as we do something'.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems silly to order this now especially since people up country had to endure flooding misery for a month plus now. Why not moderate this in the beginning instead of hitting BKK with it all at once now with backed up water?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This comment sums up the incompetence of the government.

Of course such an action would totally negate all the efforts of the Democrat controlled B.M.A. thus putting the Democrats in a bad light.

My money is on the fact that it is a politically motivated move aimed at discrediting Bangkoks Democrats.

Yingluck and the current administration are like cornered animals and will indeed take anyone and any thing they could down with them.

All the hallmarks of Yinglucks Big Brothers tactics all over again.

A third of the Country underwater, one of the world's busiest cities under direct threat and all you can see is Thaskin?

Jeez

The water has to go ! they have to help the water to go, to open the way , to make in emergency new canals using explosives if necessary to help the water to avoid important and critical areas.

The water has to leave, it's not good to block the water, the water level rises because it can't leave. Help the water to leave using non urban and non industrial areas, open ways to make it flow to the sea!

I hope they do it when the tide is out!

When are they going to open the gates? Can they not release more info as in when, and maybe a basic prognosis on what areas will be affected most, how long they expect it could take (maximum), and maybe a bit of a say on how much food water people should try to secure? I find this announcement, "were gonna open the gates" a bit vague and irresponsible as well :s

The water has to go ! they have to help the water to go, to open the way , to make in emergency new canals using explosives if necessary to help the water to avoid important and critical areas.

The water has to leave, it's not good to block the water, the water level rises because it can't leave. Help the water to leave using non urban and non industrial areas, open ways to make it flow to the sea!

Actually I think the initial plan was to block it and then let it ................evaporate............:blink:

Of course such an action would totally negate all the efforts of the Democrat controlled B.M.A. thus putting the Democrats in a bad light.

My money is on the fact that it is a politically motivated move aimed at discrediting Bangkoks Democrats.

Yingluck and the current administration are like cornered animals and will indeed take anyone and any thing they could down with them.

All the hallmarks of Yinglucks Big Brothers tactics all over again.

It is about the simple fact that if they dont open the gates at least a litle then the water pressure build up will rip them apart and BKK will face a disaster.

Stop obsessing abotu Thaksin. He isnt God

Tens of Thousands of Bangkok citizens will die, when they are now going flood Bangkok! The PM is obviously totally in sane!

How will she supply food and water to the 15-20 million people in Bangkok. The shelves of water has been almost empty for weeks already, so not possible to keep a stock in the home! And financiallyThailand will go bankrupt.

To late for "State of Emergency". Only a coup will be able to save Thailand and Bangkok now.

Ask or order? Either way,please can she explain the logic behind this?

It seems she's turned her considerable attentions away from trying to save BKK, and toward trying to save her own skin with the masses of soaked folks upcountry who are angry with her...and have every right to be...

That said, potentially flooding Bangkok, especially deliberately in any significant way, would certainly spell the end for her, sooner or later.

I was here in May 1985 when a huge tropical depression sat on Bangkok for three days and the deluge was on for 24 hr x 3 days. Sukhumvit Road was a river waist to chest deep. I was on Sukhumvit 55, Soi 23 and did not leave the house for 5 days. Boats were plying the soi, and people were fishing in the soi as well. My home was fortunately a little elevated and the flood water came to the lip of our front door, but not inside. That was very localized as the depression was over the BKK area only. The floods now are the accumulation of water from six months of rain, which is unprecedented in the 27 years I have been staying in Thailand.

Yeah ... they were fishing with nets in front of the Dusit Thani Hotel and catching big fish from the Lumpini Park fish pond. I remember that there were areas of town, particularly Soi 71 and Ramkamhaeng area that stayed flooded for a couple of months.

Because they have been pumping ground water in Bangkok for decades, Bangkok has sunk and is like a bowl. When driving on the older highways, ever notice all those small bridges and culverts that are higher than the highway ... this is because the ground has sunk (the bridges are on pilings).

That flood water won't simply flow thru Bangkok. Parts of the city will be under deep water ... if the really "open all the flood gates".

I just hope this isn't true and it's another one of those ideas that will change again in 30 minutes.

Edited by rogerdee123

the next high tide suppose to be around 28-31.10 (that was said during 14-16.10 flood situation) and not the coming weekend.

all looks like a confused, uncoordinated and random action. Hopefully the bangkok governor won't follow the orders to the jota. Gates can always be shut again

I doubt it will be a full release of water that will cause deep flooding. It's probably a slight opening of the gates to relieve the pressure build up,especially considering that there is still more water coming down from the North. A lot of klongs in inner Bangkok is still quite low and I guess this decision is being taken as flooding will at least be controllable and manageable. It won't be so bad to have about 10 cm or so of water as damage can then be limited.

I doubt, I guess It's probably a slight opening,It won't be so bad to have about 10cm or so. Can I borrow your crystal ball. You seem to know more that anyone in Thailand.

Seems silly to order this now especially since people up country had to endure flooding misery for a month plus now. Why not moderate this in the beginning instead of hitting BKK with it all at once now with backed up water?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I think you and a lot of other posters and the PM are oversimplifying a complex situation. You can see from the OP that Bangkok has a complex flood control system including "200 floodgates, 158 pump stations, seven giant underground tunnels and 1,682 canals covering 2,604 kilometres (1,618 miles), according to the city authorities".so it seems obvious to me that they are not literally going to open all the flood gates simultaneously and hope for the best. If my memory is correct a lot of this infrastructure was put in place in the late 90's and I think the overall design was carried out by Thames Water from the UK

Has a city the size of Bangkok ever been flooded before? I hope the powers that be know what they're doing.

Bangkok has been flooded by much smaller amounts of water before .... I've seen a meter of water on Silom and Rama IV roads. But that was a flash flood situation that drained in a couple of days. This is a deluge that will last too long.

Bangkok is a BIG city with .. 15 -20 million people. There isn't enough food and (potable) water.

From Wikipedia:

Bangkok has an official population of 9,100,000 residents, while the greater Bangkok area contains some 11,971,000 (January 2008).[4]

Certainly at least 8 million short of the 20 million you are estimating. Only about the 50th biggest city in the world.

Half of the people in BKK are here to work, and are registred as living in other parts of Thailand (mainly Isaan) or foreign countries.

No mention of this "open all gates and pray" initiative on TV news a few minutes ago, or on the news source that shall not be mentioned.

Well actually it is in the news source that shall not be mentioned. I just read in the paper that the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) have made it official. Bangkok is going to flood as some canals they have released water into have broken their banks.

It's in the breaking news section, I reckon not much hope of stopping it now.

I was here in May 1985 when a huge tropical depression sat on Bangkok for three days and the deluge was on for 24 hr x 3 days. Sukhumvit Road was a river waist to chest deep. I was on Sukhumvit 55, Soi 23 and did not leave the house for 5 days. Boats were plying the soi, and people were fishing in the soi as well. My home was fortunately a little elevated and the flood water came to the lip of our front door, but not inside. That was very localized as the depression was over the BKK area only. The floods now are the accumulation of water from six months of rain, which is unprecedented in the 27 years I have been staying in Thailand.

Yeah ... they were fishing with nets in front of the Dusit Thani Hotel and catching big fish from the Lumpini Park fish pond. I remember that there were areas of town, particularly Soi 71 and Ramkamhaeng area that stayed flooded for a couple of months.

Because they have been pumping ground water in Bangkok for decades, Bangkok has sunk and is like a bowl. When driving on the older highways, ever notice all those small bridges and culverts that are higher than the highway ... this is because the ground has sunk (the bridges are on pilings).

That flood water won't simply flow thru Bangkok. Parts of the city will be under deep water ... if the really "open all the flood gates".

I just hope this isn't true and it's another one of those ideas that will change again in 30 minutes.

1983 not 85.

There's no logic behind it unless she wants to see where the water will overflow which is not really clear apparently.

After opening they can close those gates again right?

Of course there is a logic, since the water cannot disappear or evaporate for itself, it has to find its way towards the sea.

Before insulting Thai authorities, please try to learn more about the topic and the situation.

Thailand has managed it 10 times better than USA or Japan or European countries have managed similar situations.

....in a bid to prevent the Chao Phraya River bursting its banks and flooding the political and economic heartland.

But a massive volume of run-off water is expected to reach the city by the weekend, putting a huge strain on Bangkok's flood defences

need a translator?

Tens of Thousands of Bangkok citizens will die, when they are now going flood Bangkok! The PM is obviously totally in sane!

How will she supply food and water to the 15-20 million people in Bangkok. The shelves of water has been almost empty for weeks already, so not possible to keep a stock in the home! And financiallyThailand will go bankrupt.

To late for "State of Emergency". Only a coup will be able to save Thailand and Bangkok now.

But look on the bright side. At least it will be great for the baht/dollar exchange rate...

The more the available paths the less pressure on any one path.

If you block an unstoppable force it will just look for your weakest point and crush it till it gets by.

You mean like the Hoover Dam?

Obviously it depends on how much blockage and how much force, which I daresay no-one here really knows.

How can you make such a statement? Tens of thousands...they'll have their bamboo rafts.

They're not in sane. Some French guys are in Seine, that's a fact. Guess Ying won't supply anybody with food. The shelves of water are innocent! Yingluck will stock up all your shelves, or not.

Thailand will never go bankrupt, if so, it will just be renamed to Siam again. Mai Pen Rai. Moreover a "State of Emptiness" will occur. Only a hot cup of coffee can help me now to find a solution..whistling.gif

Edited by sirchai

It is once again reds against yellows.

Bangkok yellows against up country reds.

It's difficult to predict the physical outcome of the floods, but the political outcome is a disaster in the making for the nation.

I do not think that the previous government would have handled it anything other than slightly better, since orders did not need to travel 4000 km.

I do hope that the people who took the PM's baht, will fight the PM's war, which means sacrifice and suffering for them.

But I doubt it...

Don't panic yet, water levels in Bangkok klongs have been very very low for the past couple of days, they even suspended the boat service because of that.

At the moment the draining capacity of Bangkok klongs is underuitilized, perhaps they looked at what happened with Klong Prapa this morning and thought it should be manageable to let at least some water in and pump it out as usual after huge rains. If there are no rains scheduled it might be a smart move that can actually save the city.

Why now? Well, the run off is only reaching Bangkok today, up until now it was still sploshing about Phatum Thani, there was nothing much to drain until last night/this morning.

Maybe I'm wrong but my version explains why Bangkok governor is on board with this idea, too.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Instead of saving something, now she lost everything. I also heard that red shirts better absorb water than yellow shirts, but this may be a hoax... for which, in case this is not true, I sincerely apologize.