Thai PM To Ask Bangkok To Open All Floodgates

webfact

Of course such an action would totally negate all the efforts of the Democrat controlled B.M.A. thus putting the Democrats in a bad light.

My money is on the fact that it is a politically motivated move aimed at discrediting Bangkoks Democrats.

Eh... my money is on the fact that there are 16 Bn cubic meters of water approaching BKK. 500M can be drained into the sea per day. In other words the water has to go somewhere; "protecting" BKK was apparently a braindead idea.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the comment on a website that I am not allowed to quote from a reporter who saw the police in action carrying out their threat to tow away cars illegally parked on the expressway. He saw thousands of cars double and triple parked and people walking all over the road which they now regard as a parking lot. In the midst of this chaos the police had a single tow truck and were preparing to remove a triple parked car. I wonder how long it will take the BIB to clear the whole system and where they will put the cars.

What frigging blows me away is the government still charging tolls? <deleted>? Open the roads and let the traffic flow you cheap stard's especially when there are evacuations going on.

I just used the Cheang Whattana toll way as the river road from Don Muang was closed for flooding and here's what it looked like.

These cars aren't just stopped......... They're parked

post-83221-0-59720400-1319118554_thumb.j

post-83221-0-76913400-1319118512_thumb.j

post-83221-0-31837400-1319118474_thumb.j

post-83221-0-46001600-1319118258_thumb.j

Both sides as far as the eye can see just enough room to get on and get off but travel on the toll way was best I'd ever seen it in spite of the parked traffic or because of it more likely..How's that for irony.. And it made me think if I had ever seen a disaster hit a city of this size on this magnitude.. I can't say I have...

post-83221-0-24545300-1319118313_thumb.j

The locals doing what the locals do, life goes on as this guy fishes in water I'd not even put my toe in.. His throw net got snagged on the bottom and he had to go down under and free it :bah: it was empty too..

post-83221-0-57943600-1319118363_thumb.j

Edited by WarpSpeed

Tens of Thousands of Bangkok citizens will die, when they are now going flood Bangkok! The PM is obviously totally in sane!

How will she supply food and water to the 15-20 million people in Bangkok. The shelves of water has been almost empty for weeks already, so not possible to keep a stock in the home! And financiallyThailand will go bankrupt.

To late for "State of Emergency". Only a coup will be able to save Thailand and Bangkok now.

Well let's hope the Baht / GBP exchange rate improves.

Imagine when the Samutprakarn Crocodile farm gets flooded, the crocs escaping and being washed south with the floods, eventually swimming in the streets of central Bangkok looking for pray. 100,000 Crocs, or who knows how many ... THIS would be a horror movie... :)

I must apologise as I digress slightly here. Im just curious - all these people who constantly criticise the government and Thailand on this forum regardless of who the government is, do you live in Thailand, and if so why? Like my wife always says, if you dont like it, you know where the airport is. Can you imagine a Western country dealing with problems similar ot this and we had a bunch of 'immigrants' criticising how we were dealing with the situation on their own forum on the internet? Think about some of the names you's be calling these foreigners.

Most of the criticism on this board is directed towards the government, NOT the Thai people. For most long term expats here, including myself, the tragedy here is to see such a wonderful nation of people, be led by what appears to be an endless stream of " leaders" who spend most of their efforts filling their pockets. This easily seen by the enormous wealth possessed by government employees that make a very small monthly salary. Generally this system of government leeches seems to work ok, EXCEPT when a crisis occurs such as we are seeing unfold right in front of us. Then the crony system of appointing people based upon their last name does not work so well. So yeah, I really like living here, but feel sad for the Thai people saddled with moronic, self centered leaders.........

Edited by EyesWideOpen

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

A post in which the reply was made inside the quoted post's quote tags has been removed as well. When replying to a post, make your reply outside the quote tags.

eyeswideopen # 248

Most of the criticism on this board is directed towards the government, NOT the Thai people. For most long term expats here, including myself, the tragedy here is to see such a wonderful nation of people, be led by what appears to be an endless stream of " leaders" who spend most of their efforts filling their pockets. This easily seen by the enormous wealth possessed by government employees that make a very small monthly salary. Generally this system of government leeches seems to work ok, EXCEPT when a crisis occurs such as we are seeing unfold right in front of us. Then the crony system of appointing people based upon their last name does not work so well. So yeah, I really like living here, but feel sad for the Thai people saddled with moronic, self centered leaders.........

Absolutely spot on a splendid post right on target

Of course such an action would totally negate all the efforts of the Democrat controlled B.M.A. thus putting the Democrats in a bad light.

My money is on the fact that it is a politically motivated move aimed at discrediting Bangkoks Democrats.

Eh... my money is on the fact that there are 16 Bn cubic meters of water approaching BKK. 500M can be drained into the sea per day. In other words the water has to go somewhere; "protecting" BKK was apparently a braindead idea.

Yeah, Bangkok will flood sooner or later by this water. But the issue is ...using those figures ...... is there the capacity to manage a flood disaster in Bangkok for 32 days? or is perhaps 5-6 days (purely guessing) a better option?

I hope all of Miss Yinglucks property developments are safe when the levies break ... i mean, this will be a set-back for the tax breaks offered to all the poor people looking to buy their first new homes under her new scheme ... :jap:

'The premier noted she is now considering which areas will produce the least impact on the population if water is allowed to pass through the city.'

So don't worry if you live near Soi Cowboy / Patpong / Nana Plaza all these places will remain intact to ensure the flow of backhanders.

Imagine when the Samutprakarn Crocodile farm gets flooded, the crocs escaping and being washed south with the floods, eventually swimming in the streets of central Bangkok looking for pray. 100,000 Crocs, or who knows how many ... THIS would be a horror movie... :)

After they eat the first Katoy they give up on humans

Yeah, Bangkok will flood sooner or later by this water. But the issue is ...using those figures ...... is there the capacity to manage a flood disaster in Bangkok for 32 days? or is perhaps 5-6 days (purely guessing) a better option?

That is interesting 10-20 Million people stuck in Bangok, most of them without stock of food.

Additional maybe the Army needs to make a coup to get able to help. I think 1000s of deads would be the result.

:lol:

Let's do a few sums. Apparently there is around 6000 billion cu. mtrs of water approaching. Never mind who made this calc but lets just take it as fact for now. Assuming it is moving at 5 KMH and is spread over a front of approximately 50 km by around 100 KM long (and we assume it is the Engilish billion, not the American one ) then what depth could the water be excluding any surge factors ?

so:- per hour the equivalent of 5000 x 100000 x 50000 = 25 billion sq. mtrs of water movement. So if 6000 billion cu. mtrs is approaching then we are either going to be under 240 mtrs of water or perhaps their figures are wrong ? - or my maths.

It is not your maths that is wrong, it is your assumption that speed is involved. They are talking about a volume of water which is , as far as a simple rectangle shape is involved, is length x width x height which = Volume. So Height = Volume/ width x length So we have 6000,000,000/50,000 x 100,000 which equals 1.2 metres in height. Hope that helpsclear it up.Unfortunately, as you point out, that does not take into account surges and man made blockages..

Of course you are right, it must be too much wine on my part. I am having to drink as much as possible in order to build a raft out of the empties.

wow you must be part of this government what a brilliant plan much better than 10000 boats pushing water away or Yinglik's throw stones into water rolleyes.gif its much more useful as well at least with this plan youll be so pissed you wont care about the total incompetence of this lot Switch on Thai news and its full of government spokes people assuring everyone their wont be a problem

I must apologise as I digress slightly here. Im just curious - all these people who constantly criticise the government and Thailand on this forum regardless of who the government is, do you live in Thailand, and if so why? Like my wife always says, if you dont like it, you know where the airport is. Can you imagine a Western country dealing with problems similar ot this and we had a bunch of 'immigrants' criticising how we were dealing with the situation on their own forum on the internet? Think about some of the names you's be calling these foreigners.

I think Obama calls them his "base".

Well in USA the immigrants have the government and the no one cares how the indigenous Peoples call them.

Also Thai people are more patient and gentle with us unruly farang ....... besides that, we are entertaining and can also help produce Luk Krung

Yes, the abject negativity is annoying, but perhaps folk are upset at the state of the country through ineptitude - nowt wrong with that - and am pretty sure a problem of this exact nature in the West would not be dealt with in such a muddled fashion. What peeves many off, including those under water, is the non-heeded warnings; and again, nowt wrong with bringing the powers that be to book. Explain to your wife, many expats have families, pay tax, contribute to the economy and are in it for the longhaul. 'Immigrants' they may be, but only because said government keeps it that way. Thais living in the West also whinge btw, though they are at one with the populace!

On the 'if you don't like it' line, though it would be good for the degenerate/misfit expat element to eff off, it always makes me cringe and evokes visions of kwai fumbling on keyboard. :rolleyes:

Immigrants to the UK criticise all the time - the difference is we give them full rights and they still insist on blowing us up.

http://www.thaivisa....-north-bangkok/

what makes you think that a Katoy is less of a human being than you are? it takes a lot of guts to stand up to piss weak rednecks like you for a life time.

I hope we all survive the possible flooding of thisbeautiful town

Tens of Thousands of Bangkok citizens will die, when they are now going flood Bangkok! The PM is obviously totally in sane!

How will she supply food and water to the 15-20 million people in Bangkok. The shelves of water has been almost empty for weeks already, so not possible to keep a stock in the home! And financiallyThailand will go bankrupt.

To late for "State of Emergency". Only a coup will be able to save Thailand and Bangkok now.

Well let's hope the Baht / GBP exchange rate improves.

Of course it will, mate.

The Thai economy and its trade surplus with the rest of the world is a far, far worse bet for investors than the UK and its debt-laden consumers, government and central bank that thinks nothing of creating £275 billion at the click of a mouse.

I mean, let's face it; Britain can tinker its way out of trillions in debt in about 3 weeks while Thailand will need at least 10 years to recover from a flood, right ? <_<

I think Obama calls them his "base".

Well in USA the immigrants have the government and the no one cares how the indigenous Peoples call them.

Also Thai people are more patient and gentle with us unruly farang ....... besides that, we are entertaining and can also help produce Luk Krung

And no one bothers to learn English, so anyway they don't know what we are ranting all the day :D

I hope all of Miss Yinglucks property developments are safe when the levies break ... i mean, this will be a set-back for the tax breaks offered to all the poor people looking to buy their first new homes under her new scheme ... :jap:

'The premier noted she is now considering which areas will produce the least impact on the population if water is allowed to pass through the city.'

So don't worry if you live near Soi Cowboy / Patpong / Nana Plaza all these places will remain intact to ensure the flow of backhanders.

I'm sorted then.

:intheclub:

breakingnews

Yingluck tells Bangkokians not to panic

October 20, 2011 10:33 am

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra asked people not to panic as the water level in Bangkok's canals get higher while the water is being intentionally drained to rivers.

Flood level in Bangkok is either in controllable levels in some areas or had not reached Bangkok yet in the other areas. Residents are best advised to move their belongings to at least 1metre high and park their cars in safe and suitable places, she said.

Some low or eroded areas might have to face little flood but it would be pumped out as soon as possible, she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-20

Let's do a few sums. Apparently there is around 6000 billion cu. mtrs of water approaching. Never mind who made this calc but lets just take it as fact for now. Assuming it is moving at 5 KMH and is spread over a front of approximately 50 km by around 100 KM long (and we assume it is the Engilish billion, not the American one ) then what depth could the water be excluding any surge factors ?

so:- per hour the equivalent of 5000 x 100000 x 50000 = 25 billion sq. mtrs of water movement. So if 6000 billion cu. mtrs is approaching then we are either going to be under 240 mtrs of water or perhaps their figures are wrong ? - or my maths.

I think it's 6 billion cu. meters of water, not 6,000 billion.

So the water level should be 0.24 meter according to your math.

But of course it doesn't spread evenly, some areas will get a meter or two, others won't get much.

I find it amazing (and sad) that the bulk of these comments are from armchair pundits who, put in the same situation, would also be running around like chooks with no heads.

For once in your sad, sorry lives, give a moment's thought to what this, your adopted country of choice, is going through. Put aside your political colours (for which most of you speak out of your posteriors), get up from your bar-stool and actually get out there and DO SOMETHING.

The reason why so many Thais have such high disregard for farangs is neatly drawn out here in the xenohopic and sometimes downright insulting comments some of you make in here. Yet you choose to live here.

I am sorry, but dropping 100 baht into a relief fund won't cut it. That's 1 beer. If you really care, get off your backsides and lend a hand. Regardless of political mismanagement or ineptitude, now is not the time to be blaming. Now is the time to HELP OTHERS.

Fill a sandbag; empty your cupboards of unused items that might be a god-send to someone in Nakorn Nowhere; go to the ATM and spend more than you would on a 'jolly' in some sordid bar beer; take a bus (or drive your car) to the nearest volunteer station and help people who are your hosts in this land.

Seriously, it's heart breaking to read some of your comments when more than 300 have died, half a million are out of work and there's no immediate end in sight.

If you're all so smart, go and do something smart. For those of you that have tried to make a difference to someone else, then well done and kudos to you. You seem to have seen the picture.

What a sad picture of farangs in Thailand this comment thread makes. God forbid a columnist from Thai Rath or the Manager sees what some of you say in here.

Edit me; ban me; blackball me, chastise me, curse me....whatever. I have had my say and I hope some of you just do the right thing and maybe...just maybe....change the opinion of farangs amongst the Thais you come across when you are helping. That's all I can hope for.

And if she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to read these forums and posts. The act of criticizing is good; both the good and bad points as it gives us an idea of how others are perceiving us. I personally don't like getting criticized myself but I can't stop people from doing so.

:D Thanks! With all the grim news I needed some comic relief. Keep 'em coming!

I find it amazing (and sad) that the bulk of these comments are from armchair pundits who, put in the same situation, would also be running around like chooks with no heads.

For once in your sad, sorry lives, give a moment's thought to what this, your adopted country of choice, is going through. Put aside your political colours (for which most of you speak out of your posteriors), get up from your bar-stool and actually get out there and DO SOMETHING.

The reason why so many Thais have such high disregard for farangs is neatly drawn out here in the xenohopic and sometimes downright insulting comments some of you make in here. Yet you choose to live here.

I am sorry, but dropping 100 baht into a relief fund won't cut it. That's 1 beer. If you really care, get off your backsides and lend a hand. Regardless of political mismanagement or ineptitude, now is not the time to be blaming. Now is the time to HELP OTHERS.

Fill a sandbag; empty your cupboards of unused items that might be a god-send to someone in Nakorn Nowhere; go to the ATM and spend more than you would on a 'jolly' in some sordid bar beer; take a bus (or drive your car) to the nearest volunteer station and help people who are your hosts in this land.

Seriously, it's heart breaking to read some of your comments when more than 300 have died, half a million are out of work and there's no immediate end in sight.

If you're all so smart, go and do something smart. For those of you that have tried to make a difference to someone else, then well done and kudos to you. You seem to have seen the picture.

What a sad picture of farangs in Thailand this comment thread makes. God forbid a columnist from Thai Rath or the Manager sees what some of you say in here.

Edit me; ban me; blackball me, chastise me, curse me....whatever. I have had my say and I hope some of you just do the right thing and maybe...just maybe....change the opinion of farangs amongst the Thais you come across when you are helping. That's all I can hope for.

Well said! Of course they will come back and say that they need a work permit to help, which is total BS. Yes, there was some issue with some group after the tsunami, but if anyone thinks they are going to be expelled or in trouble for pitching in now they are complete and utter morons and should not be living here.