Thai PM To Ask Bangkok To Open All Floodgates

webfact

I met a taxi driver tonight who was in no doubt about what's been going on. The whole thing is an evil plot by the Democrats to discredit Pheua Thai. Months before the elections the Dems realised they were going lose big time. So they came up with a cunning ruse. EGAT and the Irrigation Dept both knew that rainfall was way above average and would continue that way till the end of the rainy season. They wanted to release water from the dams early but the problem was that this required the approval of PM Mark who disingenuously withheld it. He knew that this would result in severe flooding and devastation in red shirt strongholds to the North of Bangkok, which, as always, would be saved ,thus turning the reds against Pheua Thai and making it more difficult to bring the saviour, Thaksin, back to Thailand. When he had finished he tale, he said, "I apologise Khun Farang that my fellow Thais like to play politics in a such a dirty way without caring about the consequences for anyone else but that's the way it is here." Now ya know.

So, now you've stooped to passing along Thai taxi driver gossip as gospel truth?

Taxi driver gossip?

If you could speak or at least understand thai, you would know that this theory is wide spread and believed by millions.

True or not, it is far more than just some taxi driver gossip.

OK you don't like the term 'taxi driver gossip' how about 'evil propaganda'. Show me some proof. I know enough about Thai gossip that I just ignore it. Just because people believe something doesn't make it true or the Earth would be flat and the Sun orbit the Earth, lol. I guess you are a more emotional personality than a logical one, Oh, well, believe what you want; it takes all kinds to make the World go 'round.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<snip>

Edit me; ban me; blackball me, chastise me, curse me....whatever.

Well said! Of course they will come back and say that they need a work permit to help, which is total BS. Yes, there was some issue with some group after the tsunami, but if anyone thinks they are going to be expelled or in trouble for pitching in now they are complete and utter morons and should not be living here.

OR...

they are hesitant for good reasons...

The penalty for working without a valid work permit in Thailand is basically the same as for overstay:

Jail, fine, deportation and possibly blacklisted from entering the Kingdom again.

Read this info: http://www.thaivisa.com/303.0.html

I repeat, there are NO exceptions. All foreigners need a valid work permit.

About 200 western foreigners per year are deported for illegal work.

Ask or order? Either way,please can she explain the logic behind this?

Only if they knew :lol:

Bkk proper was severely flooded in the year 2484, 70 years ago, and they are showing old

movie footage depicting the severity of the flood that government officials has

to commute to work using boats for many days.

Come on all of you guys from the uk!! Police, Parking inspectors, Union Officials, Safety Officers, or anyone else out there lining up for an expert position,l surely there must be one of you that is an expert on water management?? maybe you could offer some constructive positve advice instead of all this negative, sarcastic and very boring and very old hat stupid remarks in your comments, get with the program guys, post something unique!! something positive!! Get away from your keyboard, grab a brain and do something positive..........................................Please????

Seems silly to order this now especially since people up country had to endure flooding misery for a month plus now. Why not moderate this in the beginning instead of hitting BKK with it all at once now with backed up water?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I met a taxi driver tonight who was in no doubt about what's been going on. The whole thing is an evil plot by the Democrats to discredit Pheua Thai. Months before the elections the Dems realised they were going lose big time. So they came up with a cunning ruse. EGAT and the Irrigation Dept both knew that rainfall was way above average and would continue that way till the end of the rainy season. They wanted to release water from the dams early but the problem was that this required the approval of PM Mark who disingenuously withheld it. He knew that this would result in severe flooding and devastation in red shirt strongholds to the North of Bangkok, which, as always, would be saved ,thus turning the reds against Pheua Thai and making it more difficult to bring the saviour, Thaksin, back to Thailand. When he had finished he tale, he said, "I apologise Khun Farang that my fellow Thais like to play politics in a such a dirty way without caring about the consequences for anyone else but that's the way it is here." Now ya know.

So, now you've stooped to passing along Thai taxi driver gossip as gospel truth?

Taxi driver gossip?

If you could speak or at least understand thai, you would know that this theory is wide spread and believed by millions.

OK you don't like the term 'taxi driver gossip' how about 'evil propaganda'. Show me some proof. I know enough about Thai gossip that I just ignore it. Just because people believe something doesn't make it true or the Earth would be flat and the Sun orbit the Earth, lol. I guess you are a more emotional personality than a logical one, Oh, well, believe what you want; it takes all kinds to make the World go 'round.

You are completly missing the point being made.

For Thailand’s New Leader, Floodwaters Present a Political Test

BANGKOK — Two months after taking office, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra faces a test of leadership that could shape her administration, surrounded not only by floodwaters surging against barriers around Bangkok but also by critics and political opponents ready to take advantage of any misstep. Yingluck acknowledged on Thursday that efforts to divert the flood around Bangkok were failing, and she said the government would now attempt a controlled release that would allow floodwaters to drain through some areas of the city.

Yingluck is a political novice working with cabinet members she does not know well. Her initial response as the rising waters moved toward the capital was marked by a tone of uncertainty and signs of disorganization. She must also deal with divisions among her ministers, a conflict with the governor of Bangkok who is a member of the opposition Democrat Party, and the criticisms of a frightened and angry public. “I’m begging for mercy from the media here,” she said Wednesday in an appeal to reporters.

Continues:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/21/world/asia/floods-test-new-thai-leader-on-many-fronts.html?_r=1

New York Times - Oct. 20, 2011

Taxi driver gossip?

]

That is not what they are saying here, but the reds love to believe stuff like this. I cant believe anyone (Taksin included) would do this let alone the Dems.

The tides are not looking good for this.

Full moon is past already, why is the tide still a factor :ph34r: ?

Tides are not scheduled by moon phase. It's just that when normal high tide coincides with the full moon, the tide is higer than normal.

I think you will find that tides ARE scheduled by moon phase. The tides are highest during the full moon and new moon.

Here is a good explanation. http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moontides/

"I'm begging for mercy from the media here," she said Wednesday in an appeal to reporters.

As are many thousands of innocent victims and the Thai economy are begging for mercy from the current flooding in case you hadn't noticed madam Prime Minister..

That suffering is all due to your inaction and your puppet government focus on restoring your puppet master Thaksin to power.

Physical, emotional, financial and economic ruin all due to the stupidity of the current mis-administration.

Perhaps in the case of this current mis-administration the spelling of mercy should actually read mercenary

Edited by siampolee

The dams up north were kept at peak level way too long because they

"weren't allowed" to release water as it would have damaged

the harvest of the Red Shirt farmers down country. Yingy and company ordered

the dams to withhold the water so that their faithful herd could harvest without

flooding..........until now! Som Nom Nah!

I live on the Khao River in Chiang Mai. It is rapidly draining. This river can easily support 2 more meters of water with no danger of flooding in Chiang Mai. Why is up-country recklessly endangering southern flood zones by releasing water so fast when it need not? These guys obviously need real experts from countries that professionally handle flooding on a regular basis.

I live on the Khao River in Chiang Mai. It is rapidly draining. This river can easily support 2 more meters of water with no danger of flooding in Chiang Mai. Why is up-country recklessly endangering southern flood zones by releasing water so fast when it need not? These guys obviously need real experts from countries that professionally handle flooding on a regular basis.

They do have experts like Science Minister Plodprasop.

He has said his ships' propeller scheme on the Chao Phraya river has been proven successful.

Edited by Buchholz

Got a chuckle out of the taxi drive theory about the flooding as being a Democrat plot. If so , it sure has backfired. Watch the Thai news, showing flood victims crying and railing against the government. ( PTP)......

On a side note, what is the story about Yingluck saying for people to throw rocks in the river to stop the flooding? I cannot seem to find anything about that except here. If so she should be removed from office immediately on the basis of mental incapacity.....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

the dams to withhold the water so that their faithful herd could harvest without

Where do you get this nonsense ??

The graph below clearly shows the almost negligible rates of discharge in the months preceding the election.

Who was in charge then ??

Maybe there could be something in the taxi driver gossip.............

Graph comes from BangkokPundit, link below.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/author/bangkokpundit/

post-6044-0-11933300-1319163489_thumb.gi

No influence at all from the heartland of the Thaksin and Red Shirt brigades I suppose forbidding the easing of the flooding problem ?

The end result being rather than to actually set fire to the city of Bangkok to destroy it as was the previous clarion call instead let's drown the city of Bangkok..whistling.gif

The tides are not looking good for this.

Tides are not scheduled by moon phase. It's just that when normal high tide coincides with the full moon, the tide is higer than normal.

I think you will find that tides ARE scheduled by moon phase. The tides are highest during the full moon and new moon.

Here is a good explanation. http://home.hiwaay.n...moon/moontides/

And the tides next weekend are BIG....significantly larger at the mouth of the river by 40 cm or so...

The graph below clearly shows the almost negligible rates of discharge in the months preceding the election.

http://asiancorrespo.../bangkokpundit/

Nice link, glad the the ruling party didn't mention this in all this time...holding this info back for what purpose???

Nice link, glad the the ruling party didn't mention this in all this time...holding this info back for what purpose???

Lies, dammed lies , statistics.

Thanks for the laugh................

Really, it will be hilarious on here when she wins the next election.

Lies, dammed lies , statistics.

Thanks for the laugh................

Really, it will be hilarious on here when she wins the next election.

Thanks for your even bigger laugh!!!

She will win the next election in Dubai, when she will join her brother there after being kicked out of Thailand

The graph shows some lines which need an explanation before you can conclude anything about why things were done. Unless you want to link the yellow colour of the discharge line with PAD and flooding ;)

What the simple graphs shows is that even with increased discharge the capacity used increased. What the graph doesn't show is discharge levels in previous years.

But on a positive note, it's a pretty graph. Please go and make me a few more :)

The graph shows some lines which need an explanation before you can conclude anything about why things were done. Unless you want to link the yellow colour of the discharge line with PAD and flooding ;)

What the simple graphs shows is that even with increased discharge the capacity used increased. What the graph doesn't show is discharge levels in previous years.

But on a positive note, it's a pretty graph. Please go and make me a few more :)

I agree, it's a pretty graph.

To further your understanding suggest you follow the link and read all the detail.

it's not so hard.

http://asiancorrespo.../bangkokpundit/

Who was in government in August?

It would be normal for the discharge to be low through the dry season. The discharge rates were being lifted in July (after the election, but with the Democrats as care-taker government). The first major storm hit Thailand in late July (Nock-Ten), yet the discharge was lower in August ad that was when the PTP were in power.

edit: an interesting comment in BP

Chart Thai Pattana controlled the Agriculture Ministry, who the Irrigation Department is under, in both the Abhisit and Yingluck governments.
Edited by whybother

... my ... much is written here ... some provoking ideas I had not considered.

... my own view is that the unfolding disaster is but a symptom of a far greater problem ... the combination of indemic corruption, inferior cultural values, freakish politics and institutionalized mediocrity and incompetence all collude to produce a predictable and unavoidable result.

... at the street level, we see these deficiencies combine to create modest frustrations with which all people living here have learned to cope day-to-day ... but, at this level, their combined effects are amplified to ear-splitting volume, for all of Thailand and the whole world to witness ... not pretty.

... we can logically expect nothing more than what we are now suffering ... all the hand-wringing and whining and arm-chair coaching on this forum is for naught ... until a higher level of society evolves in Thailand, the same result is inevitable, whether it is monsoon flooding or draught or whatever natural disaster besets hapless Thailand.

... sad.

Suprised no-one has mentioned one of the main contributory causes - illegal logging.

1000's of acres have been cleared. Forestry controls run off.

Precisely. The problem starts up in the mountains of north and northwest Thailand. The illegal logging is mostly instigated by fat-cat rich entrepreneurs who pay off forestry officials in order to operate at will.

Most of these money-grubbing-environment-destroying business people are based in Bangkok and its immediate environs. Now it's all coming home to roost. Sweet justice. whistling.gif

The only sad injustice: all those innocents to have to suffer for the actions of the few greedy.

Well that's what I'm talking about the highest risk was supposed to be during the full moon but some posters here are posting that they're higher now then they were during the full moon and there's more to come in a few weeks..

There is a concept called "spring tides." When the moon is full, and the opposite side of the earth to the sun, the gravitational pull of both create larger tides on opposing sides of the planet.

During the new moon, due in a week, the sun and moon are both on the same side of the earth, and the gravitiational forces combine, giving an even higher tide.

a diagram would help, but at 3am I am pissed and incapable of better explanation.

Yes but it isn't spring, it's fall, it's spring down under so maybe that's adding some confusion.. Anyway I understand tides very well being from a bi-coastal region of the states, (that's "bi-coastal" not 'bisexual' so don't get confused :lol:;) ) what I don't understand is how the tides can be higher post full moon then during a full moon, anyway we can move on that doesn't really need to be answered at the moment..

Taxi driver gossip?

millions of Thais believe in ghost stories, this does not make it true...

Taxi driver gossip?

]

That is not what they are saying here, but the reds love to believe stuff like this. I cant believe anyone (Taksin included) would do this let alone the Dems.

Really? Didn't the Dems close down 2 airports with no regard what-so-ever for the economic well fare of the country or it's worldwide image? Seems pretty single mindedly selfish to me and demonstrates the extremes they'll go to accomplish their agenda..

This time the coup card is far more difficult to play if at all, so I've few doubts they could cook up a scheme of this magnitude in their hour of desperation..

Taxi driver gossip?

millions of Thais believe in ghost stories, this does not make it true...

Or it does??? Can you post a credible to link to the study that shows definitively they don't exist? Rhetorical question BTW.. World wide and not just in Thailand there's a lot more people who do think they exist then most would like to admit and not just supposedly the uneducated..