Thai PM To Ask Bangkok To Open All Floodgates

webfact

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it amazing (and sad) that the bulk of these comments are from armchair pundits who, put in the same situation, would also be running around like chooks with no heads.

For once in your sad, sorry lives, give a moment's thought to what this, your adopted country of choice, is going through. Put aside your political colours (for which most of you speak out of your posteriors), get up from your bar-stool and actually get out there and DO SOMETHING.

The reason why so many Thais have such high disregard for farangs is neatly drawn out here in the xenohopic and sometimes downright insulting comments some of you make in here. Yet you choose to live here.

I am sorry, but dropping 100 baht into a relief fund won't cut it. That's 1 beer. If you really care, get off your backsides and lend a hand. Regardless of political mismanagement or ineptitude, now is not the time to be blaming. Now is the time to HELP OTHERS.

Fill a sandbag; empty your cupboards of unused items that might be a god-send to someone in Nakorn Nowhere; go to the ATM and spend more than you would on a 'jolly' in some sordid bar beer; take a bus (or drive your car) to the nearest volunteer station and help people who are your hosts in this land.

Seriously, it's heart breaking to read some of your comments when more than 300 have died, half a million are out of work and there's no immediate end in sight.

If you're all so smart, go and do something smart. For those of you that have tried to make a difference to someone else, then well done and kudos to you. You seem to have seen the picture.

What a sad picture of farangs in Thailand this comment thread makes. God forbid a columnist from Thai Rath or the Manager sees what some of you say in here.

Edit me; ban me; blackball me, chastise me, curse me....whatever. I have had my say and I hope some of you just do the right thing and maybe...just maybe....change the opinion of farangs amongst the Thais you come across when you are helping. That's all I can hope for.

Respect to you.

I may have just lost my job by telling my boss not to run away to the coast but to stay and help. The inferences to rats , sinking ships, and Nero probably did nothing to help my cause.

If it happens, I'm staying, and will do all I can to help.

Start bitchin' about mismanagement later. Now, concentrate on survivin'and helpin' survivors.

Being farangs, we should have the money to really assist. What most of those I know spend on lunch in 2 weeks would feed the average Thai family for a month.

Time to give back.

I find it amazing (and sad) that the bulk of these comments are from armchair pundits who, put in the same situation, would also be running around like chooks with no heads.

For once in your sad, sorry lives, give a moment's thought to what this, your adopted country of choice, is going through. Put aside your political colours (for which most of you speak out of your posteriors), get up from your bar-stool and actually get out there and DO SOMETHING.

The reason why so many Thais have such high disregard for farangs is neatly drawn out here in the xenohopic and sometimes downright insulting comments some of you make in here. Yet you choose to live here.

I am sorry, but dropping 100 baht into a relief fund won't cut it. That's 1 beer. If you really care, get off your backsides and lend a hand. Regardless of political mismanagement or ineptitude, now is not the time to be blaming. Now is the time to HELP OTHERS.

Fill a sandbag; empty your cupboards of unused items that might be a god-send to someone in Nakorn Nowhere; go to the ATM and spend more than you would on a 'jolly' in some sordid bar beer; take a bus (or drive your car) to the nearest volunteer station and help people who are your hosts in this land.

Seriously, it's heart breaking to read some of your comments when more than 300 have died, half a million are out of work and there's no immediate end in sight.

If you're all so smart, go and do something smart. For those of you that have tried to make a difference to someone else, then well done and kudos to you. You seem to have seen the picture.

What a sad picture of farangs in Thailand this comment thread makes. God forbid a columnist from Thai Rath or the Manager sees what some of you say in here.

Edit me; ban me; blackball me, chastise me, curse me....whatever. I have had my say and I hope some of you just do the right thing and maybe...just maybe....change the opinion of farangs amongst the Thais you come across when you are helping. That's all I can hope for.

Respect to you.

I may have just lost my job by telling my boss not to run away to the coast but to stay and help. The inferences to rats , sinking ships, and Nero probably did nothing to help my cause.

If it happens, I'm staying, and will do all I can to help.

Start bitchin' about mismanagement later. Now, concentrate on survivin'and helpin' survivors.

Being farangs, we should have the money to really assist. What most of those I know spend on lunch in 2 weeks would feed the average Thai family for a month.

Time to give back.

PS. If you live above ground level, take in someone, or ones, who have been flooded out below.

I'm lucky that I'm not living in an area hit or threatened by floods, however over the past few days about a dozen relations have arrived back in the village, as the factories that they work in in central Thailand have been closed down and they won't be getting any wages this month. These dozen relatives probably support about 2 dozen parents, grandparents and children. I've bought 240kg of rice today and will continue to buy food etc. These people send most of their wages back to support their families every month anyway, the knock on effects of this flood are huge!

I'm also disgusted that every single thread about the floods is about blame and politics and then petty arguments.

Anyohe has any clue WHEN those floodgates would be open??

And for how long...?

Any links to recent info are also welcomed. Thanks.

My guess would be they are already open, there is water now coming in at the end of Srong bra pa rd. in Don Muang as the river there has obviously over run it's banks and it has never come close to the top in days until now. We looked at it this afternoon about 4:00 and it was cresting the banks at some low spots and the road was closed with some backhoes dredging I'm not sure what for as I couldn't stop to get a vantage point but at 11:30PM I checked again and it is now flowing into the street from the near by neighborhood at that end and coming up through the manhole covers with a fair bit of force.. My guess is that means it has come up about .5 a meter since 4:00 to be overflowing at that point as there is a lot of low lying ground there it would have to saturate first :( .

I met a taxi driver tonight who was in no doubt about what's been going on. The whole thing is an evil plot by the Democrats to discredit Pheua Thai. Months before the elections the Dems realised they were going lose big time. So they came up with a cunning ruse. EGAT and the Irrigation Dept both knew that rainfall was way above average and would continue that way till the end of the rainy season. They wanted to release water from the dams early but the problem was that this required the approval of PM Mark who disingenuously withheld it. He knew that this would result in severe flooding and devastation in red shirt strongholds to the North of Bangkok, which, as always, would be saved ,thus turning the reds against Pheua Thai and making it more difficult to bring the saviour, Thaksin, back to Thailand. When he had finished he tale, he said, "I apologise Khun Farang that my fellow Thais like to play politics in a such a dirty way without caring about the consequences for anyone else but that's the way it is here." Now ya know.

Edited by Arkady

I met a taxi driver tonight who was in no doubt about what's been going on. The whole thing is an evil plot by the Democrats to discredit Pheua Thai. Months before the elections the Dems realised they were going lose big time. So they came up with a cunning ruse. EGAT and the Irrigation Dept both knew that rainfall was way above average and would continue that way till the end of the rainy season. They wanted to release water from the dams early but the problem was that this required the approval of PM Mark who disingenuously withheld it. He knew that this would result in severe flooding and devastation in red shirt strongholds to the North of Bangkok, which, as always, would be saved ,thus turning the reds against Pheua Thai and making it more difficult to bring the saviour, Thaksin, back to Thailand. Now ya know.

That sounds as plausible as anything and given the Dems actions in the past and lack of concern for the country as a whole I wouldn't at all put it past them..

I met a taxi driver tonight who was in no doubt about what's been going on. The whole thing is an evil plot by the Democrats to discredit Pheua Thai. Months before the elections the Dems realised they were going lose big time. So they came up with a cunning ruse. EGAT and the Irrigation Dept both knew that rainfall was way above average and would continue that way till the end of the rainy season. They wanted to release water from the dams early but the problem was that this required the approval of PM Mark who disingenuously withheld it. He knew that this would result in severe flooding and devastation in red shirt strongholds to the North of Bangkok, which, as always, would be saved ,thus turning the reds against Pheua Thai and making it more difficult to bring the saviour, Thaksin, back to Thailand. When he had finished he tale, he said, "I apologise Khun Farang that my fellow Thais like to play politics in a such a dirty way without caring about the consequences for anyone else but that's the way it is here." Now ya know.

Taxi-drivers are the same world over, they know more than everyone and therefore should not be taxi-drivers!

Its because these armchair pundits fails to make a success of themselves in their home countries. They can't even get laid over there, so they move to Thailand, where their money and their "farang status" can buy everything they can't get for free.

Here is a very good and spot on article on the subject. http://asiancorrespo...sin-guest-post/

And yes, I completely agree with you. It is no surprise that thais do not like farangs as much as they used to.

I met a taxi driver tonight who was in no doubt about what's been going on. The whole thing is an evil plot by the Democrats to discredit Pheua Thai. Months before the elections the Dems realised they were going lose big time. So they came up with a cunning ruse. EGAT and the Irrigation Dept both knew that rainfall was way above average and would continue that way till the end of the rainy season. They wanted to release water from the dams early but the problem was that this required the approval of PM Mark who disingenuously withheld it. He knew that this would result in severe flooding and devastation in red shirt strongholds to the North of Bangkok, which, as always, would be saved ,thus turning the reds against Pheua Thai and making it more difficult to bring the saviour, Thaksin, back to Thailand. Now ya know.

That sounds as plausible as anything and given the Dems actions in the past and lack of concern for the country as a whole I wouldn't at all put it past them..

As everyone who listens to red-shirt radio knows:

"Yesterday, red-shirt community radio FM92.25, broadcasting from Samut Prakan province, south of Bangkok, queried whether there was an attempt to unseat the Pheu Thai government through a coup by the Army and the established elite.

"Yesterday, many are asking whether the government is now facing a ’water coup d'etat,'" a female radio host said."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Academics-see-no-basis-to-Army-water-coup-threat-30168157.html

So much for reconciliation and helping each other :ermm:

Edited by rubl

Any idea how long something like this would take to get back to normal?

Are you talking about Thailand or about Bangkok?

In regards to Thailand, the country:

The water alone will take over a month to drain. Roads and buildings will need to be cleaned and rebuilt. Possible shortages in building materials will cause delays.

We're talking months. Central United States has been waiting months for the flood waters to go down. Highways take several months to build back to their previous state.

This is to get back to normalcy, as in everything is cleared of mud/trash and structures fixed. To get the factories back online, to get the supply chain moving again will take additional time.

Bangkok hopefully will not get hit too hard and should be completely back to "normal" by the first quarter of 2012. But it all just depends on the amount of flooding. Nobody can say.

Edited by IsaanUSA

So, now you've stooped to passing along Thai taxi driver gossip as gospel truth?

The tides are not looking good for this.

Full moon is past already, why is the tide still a factor :ph34r: ?

Tides are not scheduled by moon phase. It's just that when normal high tide coincides with the full moon, the tide is higer than normal.

Well that's what I'm talking about the highest risk was supposed to be during the full moon but some posters here are posting that they're higher now then they were during the full moon and there's more to come in a few weeks..

So, now you've stooped to passing along Thai taxi driver gossip as gospel truth?

Taxi driver gossip?

If you could speak or at least understand thai, you would know that this theory is wide spread and believed by millions.

True or not, it is far more than just some taxi driver gossip.

I hope you weren't too concentrated in his story that you became unaware of where you were going. Taxi drivers like to tell stories and then overcharge their customers after doing circles in the neighborhood.

How is he stooping and where is he claiming it the gospel truth? Seems to me he just passed it on to us to draw our own conclusions. He just posted a potentially plausible and I might add realistic scenario that was presented to him by a Thai citizen? Did you expect him to ask a foreigner for their opinion? Would that have made it more valid?

I hope you weren't too concentrated in his story that you became unaware of where you were going. Taxi drivers like to tell stories and then overcharge their customers after doing circles in the neighborhood.

Taxi drivers in Bangkok prefer to do short trips and get the next passenger as soon as possible. It earns them more money than driving around in circles with one and the same passenger.

Taxi driver gossip?

If you could speak or at least understand thai, you would know that this theory is wide spread and believed by millions.

True or not, it is far more than just some taxi driver gossip.

Here we go with the rifts and conspiracy theorists... trained by Jatuporn perhaps? How about them getting some evidence before spreading this crap around, add it into the PTP agenda.

Of all the crap I've read here, this takes the cake. From a taxi driver no less!

Wait! This is satire right?

Taxi drivers in Bangkok prefer to do short trips and get the next passenger as soon as possible. It earns them more money than driving around in circles with one and the same passenger.

You're right. Anyway don't let your guard down. I'm Thai, speak Thai fluently (just not as smooth because I was raised in the US) and they still cheat me. :bah:

http://www.thaivisa....-north-bangkok/

Imagine when the Samutprakarn Crocodile farm gets flooded, the crocs escaping and being washed south with the floods, eventually swimming in the streets of central Bangkok looking for pray. 100,000 Crocs, or who knows how many ... THIS would be a horror movie... :)

After they eat the first Katoy they give up on humans

what makes you think that a Katoy is less of a human being than you are? it takes a lot of guts to stand up to piss weak rednecks like you for a life time.

I hope we all survive the possible flooding of thisbeautiful town

"what makes you think that a Katoy is less of a human being than you are?" Well, I haven't cut off my genitals. OTOH some call me a complete idiot, but they don't know that parts of me are missing.

Well he's lucky that he's got his PTP credit card! Ummm, that was a campaign promise, he should have it by now shouldn't he....................

Tides are not scheduled by moon phase. It's just that when normal high tide coincides with the full moon, the tide is higer than normal.

Well that's what I'm talking about the highest risk was supposed to be during the full moon but some posters here are posting that they're higher now then they were during the full moon and there's more to come in a few weeks..

There is a concept called "spring tides." When the moon is full, and the opposite side of the earth to the sun, the gravitational pull of both create larger tides on opposing sides of the planet.

During the new moon, due in a week, the sun and moon are both on the same side of the earth, and the gravitiational forces combine, giving an even higher tide.

a diagram would help, but at 3am I am pissed and incapable of better explanation.

http://www.thaivisa....-north-bangkok/

Imagine when the Samutprakarn Crocodile farm gets flooded, the crocs escaping and being washed south with the floods, eventually swimming in the streets of central Bangkok looking for pray. 100,000 Crocs, or who knows how many ... THIS would be a horror movie... :)

After they eat the first Katoy they give up on humans

what makes you think that a Katoy is less of a human being than you are? it takes a lot of guts to stand up to piss weak rednecks like you for a life time.

I hope we all survive the possible flooding of thisbeautiful town

"what makes you think that a Katoy is less of a human being than you are?" Well, I haven't cut off my genitals. OTOH some call me a complete idiot, but they don't know that parts of me are missing.

Isn't that a little bigotted?

Keep drinking that red koolaid...

I think the risks are higer now as higher water, that had to be released upstream is just not reaching the city. I think there is one more 'wave' of high water after this one also.

Again, evidence of Dems lacking concern for the country? Is there ever any evidence to what the Reds and their apologists say or is it all just speculation and rumors?