Thai PM To Ask Bangkok To Open All Floodgates

webfact

A post using all caps has been removed, use of all caps is considered as shouting as well as being bad forum netiquette.

Off topic baiting posts have been removed as well.

A post has been removed as a poster had deleted quoted post headers as he had reached the maximum number of nested quotes allowed leading to misunderstanding of who posted what. When deleting quoted posts to meet the nested quotes criteria, be careful so as to delete individual posts while keeping the quote headers intact. When replying to certain parts of a post, learn how to use the Insert quotation feature, just copy the content you wish to respond to and paste the content in between the quote brackets.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has a city the size of Bangkok ever been flooded before? I hope the powers that be know what they're doing.

I don't know what help this will be but I knew someone in Bangkok circa 1994 who had lived in the city 30 odd years at that time who told of the "Ten thousand year rains" in 1983 when most of the city was under 3 or 4 feet of water for 3 months.

Can't doubt the seriousness of the Bangkok situation, but it would be nice if media also gave some time to the (almost unreported) disaster in Cambodia.

Here hundreds have died, & 250,000 are homeless, & without aid to date.

Have been delivering aid to flooded villages, where residents are living on tiny strips of land under sheets of plastic. About 1 in 3 kids I saw have come down with water-borne diseases.

Yesterday in Battambang province we went by powerboat across what is normally land, & did not see anything above the waterline for 20 kilometers, other than roofs & treetops.

Can't doubt the seriousness of the Bangkok situation, but it would be nice if media also gave some time to the (almost unreported) disaster in Cambodia.

Have been delivering aid to flooded villages, where residents are living on tiny strips of land under sheets of plastic. About 1 in 3 kids I saw have come down with water-borne diseases.

Yesterday in Battambang province we went by powerboat across what is normally land, & did not see anything above the waterline for 20 kilometers, other than roofs & treetops.

Thanks for the post, that puts things in perspective. I'm sure there are media reports about Cambodia as well, just not from The Nation and TV (may not suit their political slant).

Thanks for the post, that puts things in perspective. I'm sure there are media reports about Cambodia as well, just not from The Nation and TV (may not suit their political slant).

This is uncalled for! Putting things in perspective floodwise and at the same time 'oh BTW, may not suit their political slant'. Stick to flood details and forget about politics for a moment :angry:

Suprised no-one has mentioned one of the main contributory causes - illegal logging.

1000's of acres have been cleared. Forestry controls run off.

Precisely. The problem starts up in the mountains of north and northwest Thailand. The illegal logging is mostly instigated by fat-cat rich entrepreneurs who pay off forestry officials in order to operate at will.

Most of these money-grubbing-environment-destroying business people are based in Bangkok and its immediate environs. Now it's all coming home to roost. Sweet justice. whistling.gif

The only sad injustice: all those innocents to have to suffer for the actions of the few greedy.

Actually, a lot of those fat cats are local. A lot of guff is talked about the Bangkok elite etc., and completely ignores the fact that local rural people are for the most part ripped off by their own local lords and their local minions.

This is uncalled for! Putting things in perspective floodwise and at the same time 'oh BTW, may not suit their political slant'. Stick to flood details and forget about politics for a moment :angry:

Haha. I might have taken your post more seriously if you would be as quick to "reprimand" some others.