Thailand: 17th 'Easiest' Place For Doing Business

webfact

Thailand: 17th 'easiest' for business

The Nation

Thailand is ranked 17th among the easiest places to do business in, according to the World Bank's "Doing Business 2012" report.

In East Asia and the Pacific, Thailand is ranked third, behind Singapore and Hong Kong.

Released yesterday, the report put Singapore at the top as the country where it is easiest to do business and as having the most conducive regulatory environment for the starting and operation of a local firm.

In 10 areas of business regulation, Thailand's ranking stays high mainly because of the ease in getting electricity (9), but its ranking is the lowest (78) in the area of starting a business.

Getting electricity is a new index added this year.

"Throughout the past eight years, Thailand's ranking was 20th. The higher ranking demonstrates Thailand's continued efforts in improving the regulatory environment to ease business doing," said Annette Dixon, World Bank country director.

World Bank country economist Kirida Bhaopichitr added that a one-stop service centre, established recently to facilitate access to licences, contributed greatly to the improvement.

A key finding of the report is that in the East Asia-Pacific region, China has shown the biggest improvement in six years.

It also shows that access to licensing data facilitates businesses. Two-thirds of the countries in the region have improved their dissemination of public information, thanks to improvements in information technology. Globally, Morocco improved its business regulation the most, climbing 21 places to 94, by simplifying the construction-permit process, easing the administrative burden of tax compliance, and providing greater protection to minority shareholders. Since 2005, Morocco has implemented 15 business regulatory reforms.

Besides Morocco, among other economies seen as the most improved for ease in doing business across several areas of regulation as measured by the report are: Macedonia, Latvia, Cape Verde, Sierra Leone, Burundi, the Solomon Islands, South Korea, Armenia and Colombia.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-21

Like most statistics, this one - or the article about the survey - only tells us a small, insignificant part of the story.

The rank - and climbing it or dropping down - is relatively irrelevant. The actual score, e.g. 6.7 out of 10, is what counts.

When Morocco climbed "21 places to 94", how much did it improve (if at all) in terms of overall score? The article doesn't tell.

Thailand climbed 3 places to 17. In theory it's possible that it's score dropped.

But journalists generally understand little - if anything at all - about statistics. And unfortunately, many readers in turn don't understand that.

As for the situation in Thailand: there are loads of laws, rules and regulations to comply with. The "good" news is: if you have the "right" connections and/or deep, very deep pockets, you don't need to comply with any of those laws etc.

There is something weird in this statement:

"In 10 areas of business regulation, Thailand's ranking stays high mainly because of the ease in getting electricity (9), but its ranking is the lowest (78) in the area of starting a business."

So,Thailand is a easy place to do business but the worst to start a business ??!!

If you cannot start the damned business, how can be easy ? Only because you get electricity ?

Allow me a big laugh, this sounds little bit contradictory

There is something weird in this statement:

"In 10 areas of business regulation, Thailand's ranking stays high mainly because of the ease in getting electricity (9), but its ranking is the lowest (78) in the area of starting a business."

So,Thailand is a easy place to do business but the worst to start a business ??!!

If you cannot start the damned business, how can be easy ? Only because you get electricity ?

Allow me a big laugh, this sounds little bit contradictory

Today I tried to get a power meter installed on another part of my property but was denied.

After endless paperwork it seems they are unable to supply a single meter to a carparking space that I own within an apartment building.

Reason was get this, only one meter allowed per condominium unit. Guys I just want to charge my battery on my numerous cars and bikes(7 vehicles last count)

How can I fly with the eagles when I'm working with turkeys.

Give me a break...Thailand 0/100 in ease of getting electricity!!

If "ease of getting electricity" and "ease of starting a business" are weighted similarly, the whole thing is a piece of trash.

In Thailand, the survey should be split down between the ease of doing business for Thai nationals and for Foreigners. For Thais, it looks like doing business is reasonably easy. For foreigners, it's a *** mess.

Friend of mine opened a factory upcountry, created 300 new jobs. PEA made him pay for the last kilometer for cables and poles, otherwise he'd simply be without electriciy.

Ease of opening a company: Lol! It's simply forbidden to open a 100% foreing owned company unless you invest THB 50 million or more.

QUOTE: "Throughout the past eight years, Thailand's ranking was 20th. The higher ranking demonstrates Thailand's continued efforts in improving the regulatory environment to ease business doing," said Annette Dixon, World Bank country director." UNQUOTE.

The huge difference being that all these other countries have said they were going to do it and then did it, but Thailand has only said it was also going to do it . . .

R