Best Bar Or Restaurant To Eat Lamb?

SebD

Where (if anywhere) can I eat decent lamb, roast or chops, cooked a la Anglais (none of your fancy nouveau, pink'n'bloody, nonsense) - with mint sauce, rosemary and traditional spuds/veg/gravy?

At a reasonable cost, of course (none your fancy nouveau wallet-ransacking price nonsense).

Anyone willing to reveal their best-kept secrets, please?

Wednesday and Saturday buffet at Cherry's on 3rd road nice rare lamb roast and the best buffet in town under B700. This one is only B325, fantastic deal

Where is 3rd road ?

Pattaya, I think (but could be wrong).

Around the top of Soi Chayapum, central pattaya off soi buakow you can get lamb chops a la kratie on soi lenkee and roast at simons on soi 5 in jomtien

are lamb chops not roasted as well as the traditional Sunday roast ('joint', as in: 'I must prod the joint...')?

Can be but not generally as they can become quite dry.

More usually are grilled (broiled) and I have seen them fried but as they are already quite fatty, this is also rarely (no pun intended) a preferred cooking method.

are lamb chops not roasted as well as the traditional Sunday roast ('joint', as in: 'I must prod the joint...')?

Can be but not generally as they can become quite dry.

More usually are grilled (broiled) and I have seen them fried but as they are already quite fatty, this is also rarely (no pun intended) a preferred cooking method.

yeah...the fat content is why I asked; woulda thought that roasting would be OK..especially if ye got a number of folks over fer dinner...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I had lamb shank at Soi 8 pub a while back. Big portion as I recall and pretty good.

now, that's interesting...was it served on it's own (ie, not in a stew, etc)?...my ex-MiL's marvelous lamb stew was prepared with lamb shank...which she scrutinized at the butcher shop as if it was the finest filet of beef...

I had lamb shank at Soi 8 pub a while back. Big portion as I recall and pretty good.

now, that's interesting...was it served on it's own (ie, not in a stew, etc)?...my ex-MiL's marvelous lamb stew was prepared with lamb shank...which she scrutinized at the butcher shop as if it was the finest filet of beef...

It was a while ago but from recollection in a red wine sauce with roast spuds and veg. I believe they gave me two lamb shanks in fact which was a bit excessive. 450 Baht or thereabouts.

Wednesday and Saturday buffet at Cherry's on 3rd road nice rare lamb roast and the best buffet in town under B700. This one is only B325, fantastic deal

Where is 3rd road ?

Pattaya, I think (but could be wrong).

Around the top of Soi Chayapum, central pattaya off soi buakow you can get lamb chops a la kratie on soi lenkee and roast at simons on soi 5 in jomtien

Jay you are right it's in Pattaya. I was thinking where the hell is 3rd road in Bangkok.. :lol:

Jay you are right it's in Pattaya. I was thinking where the hell is 3rd road in Bangkok.. :lol:

Only cuz I can't think of anwhere else that has a "third-road" by name. Also makes some sense that Pattaya is possibly (more than Bangkok, even) the most cuisinely cosmopolitan place in Thailand.

It was a while ago but from recollection in a red wine sauce with roast spuds and veg. I believe they gave me two lamb shanks in fact which was a bit excessive. 450 Baht or thereabouts.

Cherry's (as mentioned above) also do a lamb shank on their a la carte menu. It comes with some pasta but I always get them to change that for spuds. From memiry it is about 300 baht or so - well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

If your up in the North East around Mukdahan Go to the Mukdahan Manor's Waterfront-Song Fung Khong Restaurant for a choice of Mediterranean style slow cooked Lamb Shanks plus there are Aussie Lamb Loin and Lamb Leg Cops on the Menu with All the Aussie Steak and Seafood Dishes as well. Check the web site for Directions.

Larry's at Soi Ba, Thanon Ram IV, Bkk. Next to the Shepherd Bar.

The service can be a bit woolly, however, but they're not crooks with the prices (very cheap if you're shearing) and I think ewe will like it. Nice dip for starters.

They do a good egg and chips as well (served with mint sauce.)

Have fun and don't be sheepish, especially when the resident band plays the lambada,

Signed,

Lambert Eatwell.

Edited by Beechboy